News Microsoft Confirms Anticompetitive Edge Browser Behavior in Windows 11

Colif

Win 11 Master
Edge built into OS, its hardly hijacking something its built into.

its hard enough already to change defaults, so its no surprise they try to make us use Edge since most people just ignore it.

wonder how many people use widgets, I never look in that tab.

I found MS websites that only display right if you use Edge, Chrome and FF will show pages strangely

Ah... New Microsoft doing old Microsoft things... With the Execs change I thought they'd turn a new leaf, but this goes to show you old habits die hard when they're a systematic part of the culture in any Company. This makes me think Intel may go back to their scummy behaviour now that AMD is competitive again.

Regards.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
This makes me think Intel may go back to their scummy behaviour now that AMD is competitive again.
Did they ever stop? :rolleyes:

It's amazing how Microsoft just forces the user to do things using their technologies. Edge everywhere, hard (or impossible) to make offline accounts for the OS, Teams and OneDrive as default... With Windows, you don't opt-in, you always opt-out, if at all.

This article is about how windows search works...
the search experience from the taskbar is one such example of an end-to-end experience that is not designed to be redirected
This is part of the design of the OS, if a customer calls up MS to ask them how to fix a problem it's essential that everybody using the OS uses the same tools for them to be able to help.
Substituting system tools has always been a hack and not supported.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
There's another easy fix to this issue, don't use Windows to search the web. With Win10 I always disabled the taskbar search as it wasted useful space. The only thing I search the start menu for is applications that are in the start menu. When I'm searching the web, I open my web browser of choice which is almost always already open in the first place.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

Elterrible

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2014
Ah... New Microsoft doing old Microsoft things... With the Execs change I thought they'd turn a new leaf, but this goes to show you old habits die hard when they're a systematic part of the culture in any Company. This makes me think Intel may go back to their scummy behaviour now that AMD is competitive again.

Regards.

Yeah well, they only stopped because they were under an antitrust ruling. Once they were released from that judgement, they began to do this crap again and I’m just ready to pick a Linux distribution and run with it. I have my Mac for commercial use software and have no real need for Windows now, so it just makes sense.

Did they ever stop? :rolleyes:
Heh, touché.

Yeah well, they only stopped because they were under an antitrust ruling. Once they were released from that judgement, they began to do this crap again and I’m just ready to pick a Linux distribution and run with it. I have my Mac for commercial use software and have no real need for Windows now, so it just makes sense.
With Win10 they were correcting a lot of the scummy things they've done in the past TBH. Or at least, that's what it appears like from my end and experience using Win10. That being said, I did skip Win8, so I can't comment there, but at least Win11 is bad from so many angles that I'll just skip it if possible.

Regards.

Nov 17, 2021
Makes me even happier I switched to Linux Mint as my daily driver a few years ago. I still have a Win 10 machine for those rare occasions I play games, but everything else is Linux all the way.