News Microsoft confirms four Xbox exclusives coming to PS5 and Switch, sees a future 'Where every screen is an Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
Realistically, I feel this is to show good faith that they'll play reasonably fair with Sony and Nintendo more than anything.

That said, "Xbox on PlayStation" or "Xbox on Switch" would certainly be a weird thing to see, but if Xbox does eventually give up the console race for whatever reason, being able to roughly become the console equivalent of Luna/Stadia/GeForce Now and having their entire current and future games catalogue available on PS and Nintendo wouldn't be completely out there. They could leverage MS' servers to provide both game streaming and game downloading (depending if one wants offline playability).

That said, given that consoles have sort of become a popular all-in-one for living room entertainment besides gaming; used for browsing, video streaming, and maybe even legacy disc media playing as opposed to a Roku or Fire Stick, I don't see Xbox abandoning consoles any time soon. Worst case, they'll be making glorified multimedia streaming boxes (possibly with guaranteed server priority), realizing their multimedia vision from the XB1 days (where games were planned to be 100% digital only).

jeffy9987

Prominent
May 31, 2023
Realistically, I feel this is to show good faith that they'll play reasonably fair with Sony and Nintendo more than anything.

That said, "Xbox on PlayStation" or "Xbox on Switch" would certainly be a weird thing to see, but if Xbox does eventually give up the console race for whatever reason, being able to roughly become the console equivalent of Luna/Stadia/GeForce Now and having their entire current and future games catalogue available on PS and Nintendo wouldn't be completely out there. They could leverage MS' servers to provide both game streaming and game downloading (depending if one wants offline playability).

That said, given that consoles have sort of become a popular all-in-one for living room entertainment besides gaming; used for browsing, video streaming, and maybe even legacy disc media playing as opposed to a Roku or Fire Stick, I don't see Xbox abandoning consoles any time soon. Worst case, they'll be making glorified multimedia streaming boxes (possibly with guaranteed server priority), realizing their multimedia vision from the XB1 days (where games were planned to be 100% digital only).
yes its clear microsoft has tripled down on the entertainment box not gaming box i expect the next xbox to be ≈200$

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021

This seems more like a if we play nice Sony / Nintendo will play nice ,,
Stupid thing is Sony and Nintendo dont want to play nice and nor do they need to Sony Ps5 is out selling Xbox as is Switch ..
Xbox has tried before with Sony and Sony laughs at them because why would Sony give up there position as #1 selling console to #2 ..
with Sony having better and more exclusives Sony doesnt need Xbox games !!
And well Nintendo hate everything and everyone who is not Nintendo !!

They announced 4 games total right now and the type of games make sense. Hi-Fi Rush and Pentiment are smaller scale games while Grounded and Sea of Thieves are live service type games. The former aren't necessarily console sellers and the latter benefit from the biggest possible playerbase. Assuming these types of games are what continue going to other consoles then I can easily see where they would be able to stay in the hardware and software game.

From de original xbox one no one hacked it. But now with other eco system Microsoft will lost ground with pirated games... exclusive Microsoft games outside the console make no buy for Xbox its self.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
This seems more like a if we play nice Sony / Nintendo will play nice ,,
Stupid thing is Sony and Nintendo dont want to play nice and nor do they need to Sony Ps5 is out selling Xbox as is Switch ..
The way I look at it is like MS' strategy for mobile (i.e. phones & tablets). They basically accepted that Windows was never going to be the OS of choice for those devices and instead turned their attention to the next level in the software stack + the supporting cloud services.

What that means is that you can use MS technologies to develop a phone app and deploy that app on iPhone or Android (and easily re-targeting to Windows). So, it provides value to app developers, while undermining the attempts of Apple and Google to keep developers in their walled gardens. Meanwhile, MS is selling cloud services, off the back end of that.

Essentially, MS is saying they don't care if you buy their hardware or Sony's, they're going to find a way to make money off of you. The hardware business wasn't their main source of profits - the hardware was just a software delivery vehicle. So, it makes sense if they've decided to stop caring whether you're playing on XBox, Playstation, PC, or whatever. They have more at stake in being able to reach you than they do by trying to make you use XBox.

As long as Sony can't lock out MS apps from PS5, which seems to be supported by recent rulings such as Epic vs. Apple, MS doesn't really need its own hardware platform.

but if Xbox does eventually give up the console race for whatever reason,
How many more generations of consoles do you think there will be?
Since the PS4/xboxone those are just locked down custom PCs running a locked down OS, it's just a matter of time for desktop PCs to become so fast, and maybe AI helping with translation layers, that they will be able to play all the console games with emulators from day one, and the switch is so weak that you can already play all their games on entry level office systems.

As you said yourself, most times the console is being used as a more easy to use PC, if valve after a couple more steamdecks goes back to the original idea of a steamPC/steamOS, then the benefit of having a console will become extremely questionable.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Since the PS4/xboxone those are just locked down custom PCs running a locked down OS, it's just a matter of time for desktop PCs to become so fast, and maybe AI helping with translation layers, that they will be able to play all the console games with emulators from day one, and the switch is so weak that you can already play all their games on entry level office systems.

As you said yourself, most times the console is being used as a more easy to use PC, if valve after a couple more steamdecks goes back to the original idea of a steamPC/steamOS, then the benefit of having a console will become extremely questionable.
there will be many more console gens PC gaming for all its master race BS people like to spin ..

console gaming is still cheaper and more wide spread ..

1000% PC gaming is better but with the growing cost of PC components still cheaper to buy a Xbone or Ps5

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Since the PS4/xboxone those are just locked down custom PCs running a locked down OS, it's just a matter of time for desktop PCs to become so fast, and maybe AI helping with translation layers, that they will be able to play all the console games with emulators from day one,
You shouldn't actually need an emulator. Maybe a hacked VM, in order to fool the DRM, but the actual x86 code can just execute natively.

most times the console is being used as a more easy to use PC,
You can't ignore cost difference, though. Spec out a PC for the same cost as a console, using new parts (with or without optical drive - you choose). Also, no PSUs that lack full underwriting & certification. And, don't forget that consoles include a controller.

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
there will be many more console gens PC gaming for all its master race BS people like to spin ..

console gaming is still cheaper and more wide spread ..

1000% PC gaming is better but with the growing cost of PC components still cheaper to buy a Xbone or Ps5
also for children is far easy to buy them a console that comes with a walled garden, questionable content went through?blame the platform. One of the reasons people pay Disney+: a digital nanny.

You shouldn't actually need an emulator. Maybe a hacked VM, in order to fool the DRM, but the actual x86 code can just execute natively.
I know, that's why I talked about translation layers, emulation is still the more well known all including term.
The OG xbox is emulated in Qemu. (xemu)
You can't ignore cost difference, though. Spec out a PC for the same cost as a console, using new parts (with or without optical drive - you choose). Also, no PSUs that lack full underwriting & certification. And, don't forget that consoles include a controller.
You can get a miniPC from $100 if you only care about the multimedia/youtube side. With $2-300 you can get one with an AMD APU that will be able to do a decent amount of lighter to mid gaming.
Most people already have a keyboard and mouse and you can connect pretty much any console controller to windows.
That's cheaper than consoles and that's right now, and you can play free games on steam gog and so on.

In a few years, with both intel and amd increasing the performance of the iGPUs you will be able to get a cheap system that will be doing plenty of gaming for the average person.

ivan_vy

Respectable
Apr 22, 2022
Yes, but if valve, or anybody really, makes an OS that provides the same things for the parents with the same ease...
true, Steam machines were the solution, sadly OEM were not on board, on the other hand, Steam Deck is expensive to buy for kids and easy to lose, crush or get stolen.
Knowing your kid is in the living room or his/her bedroom and playing in a walled ecosystem brings peace of mind.

true, Steam machines were the solution, sadly OEM were not on board, on the other hand, Steam Deck is expensive to buy for kids and easy to lose, crush or get stolen.
Knowing your kid is in the living room or his/her bedroom and playing in a walled ecosystem brings peace of mind.
I'm just saying that we have miniPCs that are just a little bit more expensive than android set top boxes, valve doesn't need OEMs to build them something custom anymore, they need to make one large order to get an already existing model at a cheaper price, put steamos on them and sell them at the same/similar price the OEMs do and it's done.
But it would need the steamdeck to be more widespread to make people know what they can do and to want them and that's going to take some time yet.

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020

It's specifically because consoles are already all-in-ones out of the box, with a warranty and guaranteed support over the lifetime of said device, that consoles will continue to exist in some form. As well, as long as there isn't one SuperHyperMegaUltra Gaming Corp that is Sony/Xbox/Nintendo/Steam/Epic combined, games are still going to be console-exclusive temporarily or permanently, so there's always going to be some games available only on specific platforms, optimized for those platforms.

As well, in some parts of the world, a console is cheaper than an equivalent PC (prebuilt or custom built), and in other parts of the world, an equivalent PC is cheaper. So there's also an existing market in which consoles can and do thrive in due to market dynamics. And even in places where an equivalent PC might be cheaper, the PS2 and PS3 were often adopted early on due to being excellent media players compared to DVD and BD players of the time, so having a multimedia device that's more powerful than a Roku or FireStick that also happens to be able to play games is also a powerful seller in the current day and age of stretching budgets.

Sure, Mini PCs exist for similar cost (including basic K&M), but most don't have the same degree of extended support that consoles do when it comes to stability updates, driver updates, optimizations, etc. That requires the user to take the initiative and do it themselves. Consoles will almost automatically get the latest update when available, and get it installed with little fuss. Sony and Xbox both still provide long-term system updates for PS3/X360 even if they're already considered legacy, and one would be lucky to have a PC with the same degree of total, extended support (esp. if they're Windows-based, and Windows' insistence on upgrading to the latest OS).

If anything, I expect consoles to eventually start moving in on the home media server space and allow parallel gaming as well as improved casting so that multiple home users could operate off one high-end console, while using cheaper "thin client consoles" to link to the main console. Sony especially, given that they already have put efforts to provide special linking between Sony TVs and PlayStation, and in the past also put special linking between their phones and PlayStation and have experimented with similar "thin console" elements in the past (PS TV/PSVita TV). In addition, with storage being expandable and external USB drives being usable to read stored content, setting up a home media server with a console at its heart could be a future means of cementing their place as opposed to trying to set one up with two or more PCs.

Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I know, that's why I talked about translation layers, emulation is still the more well known all including term.
The OG xbox is emulated in Qemu. (xemu)
QEMU isn't something I know very much about, but I'd point out that it does emulation and virtualization. So, they're presumably just using it as a virtualization environment, with maybe some tweaks to deal with DRM.

You can get a miniPC from $100 if you only care about the multimedia/youtube side. With $2-300 you can get one with an AMD APU that will be able to do a decent amount of lighter to mid gaming.
You really didn't rise to the challenge, here. The point was that you can't assemble a PC of comparable specs, for the same price. Don't forget that you need probably 8 GB of DDR4 + a 8 GB dGPU comparable to a RX 6650 XT.

Also: keyboard + mouse != game controller. For a lot of console games, you'd want an actual game controller. If you want to exclude the cost of the controller, then we should subtract it from the console side of the equation, as well.

you can connect pretty much any console controller to windows.
That's another thing: don't forget to include the OS license cost in your PC BoM!

In a few years, with both intel and amd increasing the performance of the iGPUs you will be able to get a cheap system that will be doing plenty of gaming for the average person.
By then, mid-generation console refreshes will be out. It's not as if only one side is making progress, here.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Sure, Mini PCs exist for similar cost (including basic K&M),
Neither you nor @TerryLaze seem to appreciate just how much more powerful consoles' iGPUs are than that of any APU on the market. For one thing, the PS5 has 448 GB/s of memory bandwidth, which is about 5x what any APU can manage. And the PS5 has the lesser of the GPUs, between it and the XBox Series X.

The closest dGPU would probably be a RX 6650 XT, which are selling from about $240, new. If you prefer Nvidia, the RTX 4060 will cost even more.

but most don't have the same degree of extended support that consoles do when it comes to stability updates, driver updates, optimizations, etc. That requires the user to take the initiative and do it themselves. Consoles will almost automatically get the latest update when available, and get it installed with little fuss. Sony and Xbox both still provide long-term system updates for PS3/X360 even if they're already considered legacy, and one would be lucky to have a PC with the same degree of total, extended support (esp. if they're Windows-based, and Windows' insistence on upgrading to the latest OS).
True. I'm slightly amazed that the PS3, which is rapidly approaching 20 years old, is still getting updates from Sony. I think the scope of those updates is minimal, and probably just to keep content providers happy, but it's telling that Sony is still investing resources in extending the platform's life. Certain 3rd parties also still support it, like Amazon Prime Video.

Last edited:
Reactions: ivan_vy
QEMU isn't something I know very much about, but I'd point out that it does emulation and virtualization. So, they're presumably just using it as a virtualization environment, with maybe some tweaks to deal with DRM.
One of the two lines you quoted from me explains why I use the term emulation here.
You really didn't rise to the challenge, here. The point was that you can't assemble a PC of comparable specs, for the same price. Don't forget that you need probably 8 GB of DDR4 + a 8 GB dGPU comparable to a RX 6650 XT.

Also: keyboard + mouse != game controller. For a lot of console games, you'd want an actual game controller. If you want to exclude the cost of the controller, then we should subtract it from the console side of the equation, as well.
You didn't pay attention to the conversation.
Techlurker was talking about how the consoles have become a replacement for media pcs and I agree, the gaming power of the consoles is secondary and way less important, there are extremely few ps5 exclusives that make the ps4 look old.
Also: Yes. keyboard and mouse is multiple times better than a controller.

You can subtract any cost you want from the console since that's not the point.
The point is that you can get a $100 device that is x86 based and can act as your media device.
That's another thing: don't forget to include the OS license cost in your PC BoM!
Windows 10 is free to use for ever without a license, you just lose some customisation options that not many will care about, the watermark might be an issue though.
Also steamOS, if you paid any attention to the conversation, would be free.
By then, mid-generation console refreshes will be out. It's not as if only one side is making progress, here.
So that means that the new iGPUs will suddenly be worse than the old iGPUs???
There will be new CPUs with better iGPUs that will do better gaming than today's models, that has nothing at all to do with what the consoles do, somebody that uses a console as a PC replacement will not mind having a much smaller much quieter much less power hungry device that will do all of the multimedia the console did.

Gaming is just a bonus, whatever level of it will be possible.

Neither you nor @TerryLaze seem to appreciate just how much more powerful consoles' iGPUs are than that of any APU on the market. For one thing, the PS5 has 448 GB/s of memory bandwidth, which is about 5x what any APU can manage. And the PS5 has the lesser of the GPUs, between it and the XBox Series X.

The closest dGPU would probably be a RX 6650 XT, which are selling from about $240, new. If you prefer Nvidia, the RTX 4060 will cost even more.

True. I'm slightly amazed that the PS3, which is rapidly approaching 20 years old, is still getting updates from Sony. I think the scope of those updates is minimal, and probably just to keep content providers happy, but it's telling that Sony is still investing resources in extending the platform's life. Certain 3rd parties also still support it, like Amazon Prime Video.
You somehow managed to make techlurkers comment show up as one of mine.

If anything, I expect consoles to eventually start moving in on the home media server space and allow parallel gaming as well as improved casting so that multiple home users could operate off one high-end console, while using cheaper "thin client consoles" to link to the main console.
Have you seen how big the PS5 is?! And that barely plays one game, a sony console that would play multiple games at once would be the furniture to rest the 4k TV on...

Also it seems that everybody thinks that I'm talking about imminent even though I said multiple times that it will take a long time.

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
There will always be a market for consoles..

I have both Xbone series x and ps5 and despite fanboys are going to hate me for hating on Xbox ..

Xbox has done nothing to justify my $750aud ( from mem ) there are little to no exclusives and the okay ones are just that only just okay the rest are bad ..

Anything 3rd party well whats the point of Xbox when the ps5 is just as good if not better in some cases hard ware wise ( yes im aware both are AMD but tunned different )

I enjoy starfield ( i know its got alot of hate ) and the rest im playing old xbox games ..

Am i wrong in saying ( infact can anyone say ) for phill spencers what 60 something billion blizzard and bethesda purchase i feel much like my Xbox purchase ( money spent nothing to show for it )

Then we get the "but but " xbox doesnt need to make exclusives " yes yes " they do consoles are a much cheaper way of playing games than most PC's and like my self i have a high end PC check the sig and i do not like keyboard and mouse games so when i can i play controller only on my PC.

So to me this is Phill grabbing his ankles and coughing for the bean counters at Microsoft !!

Reactions: ivan_vy
There will always be a market for consoles..
That's not in question, the question is if it will always be a big enough market for sony and MS to make enough money to justify keep making consoles.
I have both Xbone series x and ps5 and despite fanboys are going to hate me for hating on Xbox ..

Xbox has done nothing to justify my $750aud ( from mem ) there are little to no exclusives and the okay ones are just that only just okay the rest are bad ..
Other than Spider man 2 are there any PS5 exclusives?! Everything is just remakes of older PS4 games, or at least that's what it looks like to somebody that doesn't have a PS5.
PS5 is 3 years old now, that's basically half way through which is why the pro version will come out soon.
The exclusives list shows 13 titles and not all of them are even released yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
That's not in question, the question is if it will always be a big enough market for sony and MS to make enough money to justify keep making consoles.

Other than Spider man 2 are there any PS5 exclusives?! Everything is just remakes of older PS4 games, or at least that's what it looks like to somebody that doesn't have a PS5.
PS5 is 3 years old now, that's basically half way through which is why the pro version will come out soon.
The exclusives list shows 13 titles and not all of them are even released yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:PlayStation_5-only_games
do you really want to start that..
gt7 ,god of war ragnarok , returnal , final fantasy 16 , horizon forbidden west, final fantasy 7 remake , ratchet and clank rift apart ,stray , astros play room, forspoken, ghost wire tokyo .. im sure there is more !!

Ive not even added the PS VR2 titles that have come out plus the updates to some of the 3rd party and exclusive games that are amazing no mans sky with VR2 is awesome horizon call of the mountain ( kinda MEH but still ) gt7 is amazing in PS2 VR resident evil village VR is great too..

sure some of them can be played on ps4 but they were brought out in ps5 gen times ..

Im not adding naughty dogs BS remakes !!

Name how many Xbox exclusive are not backwards compatible with the old arse xbone ..

Status
Not open for further replies.