Microsoft Confirms Live Messenger Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
I've been Trillan user for YEARS and before that ICQ...

I do have just about every account there is including Trilian, Yahoo, MSN, Steam, Skype, Google, and AIM...

that's one less program I have to think about and install if I ever need to use video and voice chat...

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Hmph, it kinda sucks. Been using it for years, still have my msn.com email account too.

Oh well, there's a gazillion different messengers out there, not a big loss....

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
so, officially m$ announced that they are going to ruin skype.
I,now, have to leave skype and find something else.
all these 14 year old kids , all those ad-bots and more-and-more m$ adds are coming to skype.

quick, uninstall it before they force you to have it always installed.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
I've already made the move to skype, although my current issue is that there's no way to add WLM contacts to your skype list. You can only import your list as-is once you link your accounts. Only skype contacts can be added.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Reported Denis Corbett. Wish they would put a 15-30 day restriction on new accounts that prevent them from posting on articles. Always see this crap from users created same day.[/citation]
Or just prevent them from posting links. And if new members post certain links (or shortened ones that link to those), ban them immediately.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
I haven't used MSN messenger in years, but it does make me sad a bit. 10 years ago I used MSN a LOT, every day! Back in high school (10 years ago) I used it with friends all the time... We grew up with MSN, "Whats your MSN account?"

Now its going to disappear. Kind of sad really, something I grew up with is going to be retired.

I was a bit pissed when they threw Ads in the MSN chat screens.. C'mon man.. Ads in our chat screens?

Oh well, things come and go.

yorgos

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Graham_71[/nom]There's oovoo.[/citation]
thanks for the reply.I googled a bit and I read that oovoo has ads too, so it doesn't make any difference.
I found ekiga on the other way, which has also a linux client.
I'll prolly stick with that from now on.

G

K-zon

Sounds like if there was after a messenger say ripe off of the program to have say facebook or skpe work, that any further use of the program and/or application would cause probably stability problems within use of such for say either service.

As for use with other devices is just say a sync and porting debate which is always say appliable to anything within the interest of use for such and not just in the new of say about.

Think messenger actually went over the op when being able to make phone calls and faxes within use of the device say took hold before anything has probably ever been wrong within use of it.

Video chat makes sense but still think relies on the idea of having a say webcam if i remember right, otherwise think had to update or patch to be able to so say witout, which is mainly just recieving video.

Otherwise probably just stuck with video messages, which would probably be a "folder" option and/or feature debate when "content" is just left to such by those means for say a feature and/or option not say a device.

Then to sy of short on anything with texting is still probably the biggest joke of all outside having microsoft powerpoint for use as a text median. In terms of receivable say "files".

If the feature and or option usually within use like any other product and/or service probably has a use and probably then the most then not of one at all.

Sounds like any advirtising to say if spelt right rip-off that has a place of use otherwise on regards of the many services and say products that are more based still for use on an interest within one for seperate regards on, even if ithas say a same use for at a time and no change at all.

Especially on consolidation ideas otherwise would rely on maybe a more mangement interest of use, and why have of such when just logging in would be better and else where to say. Versitile or how spelt might be useful to say regards on for place within use for anything but being practically place for such to say rather then having of such to say do that is almost without is probably hard placed to say so at a time but still is said of such.
So might still just say be an expense debate and is of such to versitile might still find being a place last used to say as such on for use with to say but still maybe as for a use.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
"Now Messenger users just need to update to the latest version of Skype, sign in using a Microsoft account, and their Messenger contacts will be there," Bates said.

That is great, but what if you already had a MSN account and a Skype account?? Guess you have to choose which account you want to keep.

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
That's a bit disappointing, but it's for the best of Microsoft. I remember when everyone had either a Yahoo IM or Messenger account to communicate.

Is it ironic I see an MSN advertisement?

G

I love MSN Messenger and still have a lot of friends who use it. Thanks for taking it away. I have no interest in Skype, but crap like this is what pushes me towards Apple, not more garbage Microsoft products.

G

I voice chat with my 85 year old Dad every week on Windows Messenger. He is one of the most clueless computer users you can find. He will never be able to figure how to setup something else. He lives 1000 miles away, so a House call by me to help will take some time. So this will hit him hard.:)

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]"Now Messenger users just need to update to the latest version of Skype, sign in using a Microsoft account, and their Messenger contacts will be there," Bates said.That is great, but what if you already had a MSN account and a Skype account?? Guess you have to choose which account you want to keep.[/citation] I wish it were that easy, after signing in with my MSN on their web site yesterday, they still have yet to port over my contacts. They have my email in my Skype profile but when I try to reset the password, it says the email is not in their system. I tried to contact Customer Support but that is nonexistent. They only have a FAQ page, no real support. I think I will stick with MSN until it is actually retired.

G

I'd prefer Microsoft kept messenger seperate from Skype. Once messenger is gone, so am I. And I did give Skype a try but found I very much disliked Skype...and my messenger contacts didn't come with me either. It's looking like I will be settling in with Yahoo before spring.

G

I did the merge today ! There are major problems : It didn't import my msn contacts with the surnames and there are many that aren't recognizable without the codes I use to identify - (with hundreds of msn contacts, it's a big headache. Years of working my list gone down the drain.

Plus you can't rename the imported contacts - another big headache !

Not a happy camper !

G

NOT HAPPY!! Skype does not have ANY of my emoticons (thankfully I have them saved on my harddrive). It also doesn't go small enough to sit at the side of my screen for me to chat whilst working on other things. This is me going elsewhere!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.