Microsoft Confirms Six-Month Windows 10 Update Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
I have found Windows 10 to be very stable. It is the first Windows I ever felt comfortable doing upgrades in place. What I do not like is the default big brother config, default start menu spam, forced updates, tips that popup even when tips are disabled, and lack of options in many default programs. The settings menu vs control panel is disjointed. Settings is not organized well and then takes the user to control panel for advanced changes. They need to just rename control panel settings and have everything in a one stop shop.

I don't really get bogged down in what Windows is better. Windows 7 was great with flaws, Windows 10 is great with flaws. It's just an OS.

museumman

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Please look up the definition of "antecedent": "a thing or event that existed before or logically precedes another." You're using it incorrectly.

techy1966

Reputable
Jul 31, 2015
My only problem with the updates is MS making the older versions of win 10 non supported so fast. If they bare the name Windows 10 then they all should be supported no matter what This forced upgrade/update stuff makes one feel like being herded like cattle to slaughter. Meaning at some point MS is going to drop the hammer on us and say oh yea if you want to continue using win 10 to it's fullest you got 2 options pay a monthly/yearly subscription or stay without a subscription but have missing features and become ad infested.

ssdpro

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013

Museumman has placed a comment with pronoun "you" in a contraction "you're" without identifying the noun or noun phrase being referenced. Ironically, Museumman has failed to define the pronoun's antecedent.

hannibal

Distinguished
Hmmm... why nobody was not worried about the servicepacks for the win7... this is not so much different. If you want to have securite upgrades it was sensible to get those service packs. Now the only thing is that there will be two "servicepacks" in one year and you should install at least one of those servicepacks ones in one and half year.
Not too bad, I supose.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
If you buy a new desktop or laptop and want to upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 7 or 8, Microsoft will not allow any Windows Updates to install, even critical security updates.

A disgruntled Microsoft Developer has proven that Windows updates for Windows 7 and 8 work fine if that OS is installed on Kaby Lake CPUs!
The developer has released a patch that will now allow Windows Updates on Windows 7 or 8 when running the latest Intel or AMD chipsets.
Microsoft, cramming Windows 10 down our throats will not work.
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/248069-unofficial-patch-unblocks-windows-7-8-1-updates-kaby-lake-ryzen

wiktorw

Prominent
Apr 21, 2017
@techy1996:
"If they bare the name Windows 10 then they all should be supported no matter what"

I disagree with your "no matter what". Fixes should be distributed and applied for many reasons, including security. Outdated devices pose a real threat when they are connected to the network. See for example:

https://arstechnica.com/staff/2017/02/router-assimilated-into-the-borg-sends-3tb-in-24-hours/
or previous articles:
https://www.google.pl/search?q=arstechnica+router+vulnerability

The same security problems arise for outdated phones, tablets and computers. Heck, even unpatched IoT (Internet of Things) devices are possible source of security problems.

Dosflores

Reputable
Jul 8, 2014
Updating Windows 10 every six months for the sake of updating makes no sense. It only makes sense for Linux distros, in order to keep up with the Linux kernel. Microsoft should only update Windows when they have some important new feature ready for deployment. It's silly enough that they released the Creators Update, which supposedly would foster VR and AR development, without any working VR/AR feature. Now that they're forced to update every six months, Windows 10's silliness is going to increase exponentially.

FD2Raptor

Admirable

"Since they started designing Windows 10"?

Don't you mean since the horde of idiots were clamoring about how they wanted to pay MS forever to keep using Windows (albeit they meant XP), back when 8 was released?

Be careful of what you wish for 'cause you just might get it all, isn't it?

shpankey

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2017
Windows 10 w/ all the updates is pretty awesome, I have to admit. I run an iMac w/ El Capitan (starting w/ Snow Leopard w/ every iteration from there to now) and while it is very nice, I'd definitely give 10 a clear advantage for a modern OS.

jp7189

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
LTSB Win 10 is maintained for 10 straight years. It's funny I never see it mentioned in these articles. So far, MS have released a LTSB build once per year which has all the latest core improvements and none of the fluff- no Cortana or Edge or any of the popup BS, and of course a guaranteed 10 life cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.