News Microsoft Confirms Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 Processor Throttling Issue

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Throttling is a huge problem on a variety of x86 Windows laptops and tablets. Devices have gotten too thin and could benefit from some extra, cooling-supporting thickness. This isn't just a Surface device problem. I hope Microsoft takes steps beyond just addressing a firmware throttling bug and makes future Surface design changes to better dissipate heat.

MasterMadBones

Distinguished
Throttling is a huge problem on a variety of x86 Windows laptops and tablets. Devices have gotten too thin and could benefit from some extra, cooling-supporting thickness. This isn't just a Surface device problem. I hope Microsoft takes steps beyond just addressing a firmware throttling bug and makes future Surface design changes to better dissipate heat.

The Surface Pro design is actually very impressive when it comes to cooling. In my experience it is definitely one of the better performing designs out there even though most versions are cooled passively. This shows that ultrathin devices don't necessarily cool badly, but most manufacturers just do a poor job.