News Microsoft confirms that Windows 11 Recall AI is not optional — a glitch made it appear so in the Windows 11 24H2 KB5041865 update

I've never really understood the irrational angst regarding Edge. That's one of those things where if you don't like it just don't use it. I don't use Edge for anything other than websites that don't behave in Firefox, but it's nice to have for exactly that reason. Generally speaking when it comes to Windows programs/services so long as whatever it is isn't actively running/pulling telemetry I don't tend to care.

With regards to Recall so long as it can actually be completely disabled I don't see a problem. That is the key though it has to be able to be completely disabled, and not enable itself with Windows Update which is where my concern comes in. Of course those of us in desktop land are largely safe due to lack of hardware, but that isn't guaranteed going forward.

This absolutely makes sense. Microsoft doesn't need people uninstalling things on Insider builds as it defeats the thing Insider builds are meant for: To find bugs before they go into wide release. When it comes time for the wide release and especially by 24H2 it will most likely be either be explicitly Opt-In, as they were prepared to do before they pulled it from release, or able to be fully disabled.

No real reason to get your dander up.

ThatMouse

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2014
The issue is every time I open a PDF I get Edge. For whatever reason Windows makes it a pain to change the default functionality, i.e. tell it what you want the default apps to be. And it will nag you until the end of time and even switch it back to a Microsoft app whenever it feels like it.

Reactions: salgado18

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
And Microsoft actually wonders why Windows 11 is bombing and 65% of users are still on Windows 10 three years later .......

Windows 11 = Windows 8 = Windows Vista = complete garbage

Reactions: mhmarefat