Microsoft Considers Allowing Android Apps on WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
that's big. Altough msft lagged behind in the software department, that gap has now been reduced. Hardware sales aren't that bad either. it's certainly not a bad feature to have imho.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013
I'm not sure why Windows Phone even needs to exist. Microsoft should focus on creating excellent software and services for the platforms that exist. If it wants to sell phones, just use a Skinned version of Android to begin with. It can't possibly think it's going to make any money off Windows Phone licensing fees.

D

Deleted member 1353997

Yes, let us all remain in and focus on the past.
Why innovate? Why create something new?

Just focus on the things that already exist and stop progressing.

Seriously, though:
Guess what, friend. Microsoft was in the smartphone market even before the iPhone was even a rumor.
I owned a Windows Mobile 2004 device. Awful thing that always crashed, but it did exist and was made by Microsoft.

You want Microsoft to focus on the things that already exist? They're doing it already.
Windows, Xbox, Windows Phone.

Do you really expect them to give up on the Xbox One, just because it's currently not doing so well compared to the PS4?
Do you really think they'd ditch Windows, if Apple ever managed to dominate the desktop/notebook market?

Not likely, son. Not likely at all.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Lumias had some great selling point for me (european user). If you travel a lot and can't use data services abroad, offline maps and translator are a must. Plus it has a nice interface although user experience REALLY needs to be refined in some cases.

bmacsys

Honorable
BANNED
This worked out great for BBM 10 too. LMFAO! Why write native Windows phone apps then? Its a huge admission of failure. 4+ years and Windows phone has went nowhere in the USA or Europe. The one hope they have is if the didn't charge licensing fees like Android. That would possibly jump start things.

JD88

Honorable
Feb 25, 2013

Actually, they will more than likely sell Xbox in the near future. Also, despite the fact that you owned a Windows mobile device in 2004, they still only have less than 3% market share 10 years later. Sounds like a fail.

The problem is that Windows phone doesn't innovate anything. It offers no improvement whatsoever over current offerings. The future is in open source operating systems with cloud based applications, not more proprietary garbage that exists just to exist.

tcb1005

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2014

I think they will eventually spin off or sell Xbox, Surface, and the Bing divisions to please investors. Microsoft is a software company, and many investors want to see it without a cluttered brand portfolio.

MTWSD

Reputable
Feb 15, 2014
I rather like this idea but only to a point. What I think should be done is an easier way to port Android apps to WP. Perhaps enable the android apps to run natively, but require they package it in a metro interface and tile so it still fits into the WP environment while simultaneously lowering the walls devs must climb to port their apps. I think that would be a good middle ground and make devs more likely to post apps. Once they see a desire for their apps on WP then they would take the time to make it more and more native.

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
The problem with supporting android apps is that they will never work perfectly, they will always be made for android, running android apps worse and not getting any of your own apps will probably not be the best for your platform. Blackbery has its own exclusive apps and can sell you there but windows phone really doesn't. I don't think they can win it on interface and nokia alone, not when there are launchers that allow similarly great interfaces on android and other great looking phones.

that's big. Altough msft lagged behind in the software department, that gap has now been reduced. Hardware sales aren't that bad either. it's certainly not a bad feature to have imho.

I think in terms of a phone OS, MS has a better one than Android. A friend went from a Droid Razer Max HD to a WP8 and he said it is much smoother and faster. It might be a bit better CPU but it is still a dual core with 1GB RAM.

I think MS doing this might be a mistake as they need to define their own system.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
WP8 has been far more responsive and battery thrifty compared to Android. I think if they had a better policed storefront then things would be awesome.I think they should have a compiler that would take Android apps and recompile them. That way you have maximum performance and security. Also, you could have a better policed storefront. That's something that Android and WP both need.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I'd be ok with this, provided that Android native apps get put in a segregated section of the marketplace so users can avoid them if they choose. And so native Windows Phone apps get the spotlight.

May 2, 2013
I switched to Windows from Android... I never really missed anything App wise, but then again, I'm not a teenager anymore and I have a computer for running applications and I mostly use my phone for communications.On the other hand, WP is a breath of fresh air compared to the "free" apps you get on Android... I like the try/buy approach a lot better than the ad supported wild west that (I am convinced) is killing Android.

XGrabMyY

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
I switched to Windows from Android... I never really missed anything App wise, but then again, I'm not a teenager anymore and I have a computer for running applications and I mostly use my phone for communications.On the other hand, WP is a breath of fresh air compared to the "free" apps you get on Android... I like the try/buy approach a lot better than the ad supported wild west that (I am convinced) is killing Android.
Agreed. I'm about to upgrade from my ancient Galaxy Nexus to the sexy new Nokia Lumia Icon myself. Have to pay full price to keep my unlimited data though, but thankfully it is a few hundred cheaper than similarly spec'ed smart phones.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
I'm not sure why Windows Phone even needs to exist. Microsoft should focus on creating excellent software and services for the platforms that exist. If it wants to sell phones, just use a Skinned version of Android to begin with. It can't possibly think it's going to make any money off Windows Phone licensing fees.
You do know that MS has been in the phone OS business longer than both Android and Apple combined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS