Microsoft Creating App Store for Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So it's going to be the same as the various Linux package managers?

Awesome.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]regulas[/nom]Ah and the "We can copy that" continues at the inventive MS. Good to see they are coming up, I mean copying new ideas.[/citation]
Apple copied download.com, but charge you for the privilige, so what's the innovation, to take money off people?

aaruni123

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Could be a huge success if there are proper incentives for developers. It will be good for developers to have a high profile online store where they can sell their creation.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
The part I hate about "app stores" is where you're forced to use it and unable to install "any app you want".

As I said in another thread a few days ago, it's only a matter of time before "workstation O/S's" don't allow "just anyone" to create/install software.

mouettus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
"app store" seems to be the cool word right now.

could be great if they are integrated ala ubuntu software manager. else, it's only getting a thumbs down for me.

What is M$ thinking? This be seen as an attempt to force IE use. Who will go after them for anti competitive practices? Just about every retailer and they may choice to remove their products from store selves. This would give M$ an unfair advantage in all software sales and will not be tolerated by many governments.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]download.comAlready exists, next story[/citation]

no it does not. it's good to see that Microsoft is doing this, it will make it a lot easier to buy games and apps, everything will be in one place. The easier it is for people to access the software the more they will download. Very smart decision.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]compfreak93[/nom]windows 8 3GB of ram recommended[/citation]

ram is very cheap these days. o purchased 12gb ddr2 1333MHz a year ago for about $200. stop bitching

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]ram is very cheap these days. o purchased 12gb ddr2 1333MHz a year ago for about $200. stop bitching[/citation]

You haven't looked at RAM prices lately, have you?

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]no it does not. it's good to see that Microsoft is doing this, it will make it a lot easier to buy games and apps, everything will be in one place. The easier it is for people to access the software the more they will download. Very smart decision.[/citation]
For a start it isn't all in one place as existing software and application sites such as www.download.com DO already exist, all this does is add yet another place to get stuff.
This adds to, not consolidates, choice.

And since when does www.download.com not exist? It's been around for years, it has (checked today) over 200,000 entries Windows, nearly 31,000 entries for Mac and over 250,000 mobile entries.

So with nearly half a million programs across all platforms, (including iPhone, Linux, Android, Blackberry, Palm, Windows, Mac, Symbian) from freeware to shareware to pay-for software, tell me again how you think this website doesn't factor as the biggest hitter in the App Store world?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]halls[/nom]You haven't looked at RAM prices lately, have you?[/citation]

i meant to say ddr3,lol. yes i have and still think that ram is cheap compared to what it was a few years back. for example take a look at the ssd, the prices used to be outrageous, not just about anyone can afford it, that is if you manage your money well and not spend it on drugs or cancer sticks

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
If this happens, I will cry. Or I'll just stay with my current OS of Vista and likely 7 in the future and never upgrade. :)

Oh and as for me, my Windows Vista functions and looks extremely similar to XP through all my efforts (partly due to the classic theme) and it hasn't given me a ton of problems either other than the occasional BSOD lol.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]raybob95[/nom]If this happens, I will cry. Or I'll just stay with my current OS of Vista and likely 7 in the future and never upgrade. Oh and as for me, my Windows Vista functions and looks extremely similar to XP through all my efforts (partly due to the classic theme) and it hasn't given me a ton of problems either other than the occasional BSOD lol.[/citation]

buddy, you don't know what your are missing. win 7 is vista on steroid. it runs wonderfully on my 2 machines, love it.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Riomerc[/nom]So it's going to be the same as the various Linux package managers?Awesome.[/citation]
Hopefully with a super-intuitive interface. Don't get me wrong, I like Synaptic package manager, but I think most users will need help switching from "let me run any executable I want" to a package manager.
I actually prefer the "let me run any executable I want" method rather than the blend of package manager and manually-installed .rpm's and .deb's in Linux. Of course, I have the know-how to avoid the malicious files... An app store/repository could help less experienced users avoid malware.

Status
Not open for further replies.