Microsoft Debuts Acer-Made Mixed Reality HMD Dev Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
These headsets apparently use inside-out tracking, using cameras on the headset itself to track movement within the environment, combined with motion sensors. And it sounds like there will be a variety of compatible controllers, although I suspect Acer will offer their own branded ones. It's possible that the headset and controllers will ship separately though, since not everyone will necessarily need the same kind of input method, depending on what they are doing with their headset. See the first link in the article for more details on these Windows VR headsets.

And here I was just saying that LG might lead the pack of second gen HMDs. But this looks really promising too. I'd be interested to see if they have or will have steamVR capabilities or if M$ is going to lock it down to their winstore. If it's the latter I could see this HMD struggling.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
Excited to see a bump in display resolution per eye over the Vive. The kind of work I'm doing in VR will really come to fruition as the resolution increases. Also interested to learn more about inside-out tracking, and how it compares to the Vive's lighthouses

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014

What work are you doing in VR?

We're keen to learn more about what specifically they're going to be doing with inside-out tracking, too. There are better and worse ways to do it--and those are make-or-break decision IMHO.

chemy

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
OK I want one, I don't know why I have no time but I want to try all :) I only have the Rift and the PSVR

Status
Not open for further replies.