News Microsoft defends Game Pass price changes, tells FTC that adjustment offers multiplayer for less

I think more people than not will be happier with included multiplayer instead of day one games, especially if they are added in a somewhat timely manner (<6 months), given how new released games tend to have issues for a while that impacts the gaming experience.

Do find it odd they didn't do this kind of objecting when streaming services raise prices and cut features, or when Google removes features from Google One you paid for and can't get a refund or price compensation to adjust for, but Microsoft being so evil and big and the devil they have to go after them...

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
I don't think Microsoft's pricing is unreasonable, nor the tiered levels.

Everything is subject to inflation. Do we think software developers get paid minimum wage, or never deserve raises?

*Developer gets hired* - well, sir, this is your pay level. For the rest of your life!

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009

Everything is subject to inflation. Do we think software developers get paid minimum wage, or never deserve raises?

*Developer gets hired* - well, sir, this is your pay level. For the rest of your life!
Given the number of stories going around about how if you want a good pay rise you have to change jobs it is not far from being the truth.

Reactions: slightnitpick
Jun 12, 2024
I am not going to play any game where i can not choose what server to join, or for that matter host myself.
And i am not going to play any game that have the traits of pretty much all FPS games today.

So. I will probably never play multiplayer games again, so THX a bloody lot game houses and gamers of the past 20 years.

eldakka1

Honorable
Dec 24, 2018

Yes, everything is subject to inflation.

But there are also multiple downward pressues on price as well:
1) competition;
2) efficiencies of scale;
3) increases in productivity (whether due to workers working harder or changes in technology that enable a worker to increase output);
4) supply/demand;
5) price decreases in various inputs used in the product/system caused by those inputs themselves being affected by 1-4 above and also this point 5 (being recursive).

If prices remain stable for a long time - despite inflation - and then a decrease in competition (i.e. aquisitions taking competitors out of the market) is followed by a near-immediate increase in prices, then that is decent evidence of anti-trust activities.

PS: thinking about it, points 2 and 3 above are basically the same thing, as an efficiency of scale is another way of saying increased productivity.

Reactions: slightnitpick

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020

It is not unreasonable for MS to increase price, but the increase here is way over inflation. Is MS passing most of the increase to the developers? I doubt that.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
Do find it odd they didn't do this kind of objecting when streaming services raise prices and cut features, or when Google removes features from Google One you paid for and can't get a refund or price compensation to adjust for, but Microsoft being so evil and big and the devil they have to go after them...
The FTC is not involved in these decisions; it is involved in signing off on, and objecting to, a merger.