Microsoft Denying Developers Access to Windows 8.1 RTM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
and there is a very good chance that many windows 7 users won't even touch the windows 8.1 promotion deal. if you don't like windows 8, you're not going to like windows 8.1, either because none of the features that many users have complained about isn't in windows 8.1 either which are no real start menu, no disable of metro function and no aero glass option. if ms would just give those options to users it would attract many more windows 7 users to jump to windows 8, but seeing as this is ms not listening to the customers doesn't surprise me.

iamthepieman

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
DPOD, I use Start8 with the Windows 8.1 beta. It works fine. The only wonky thing about it is that sometimes it ignores my configuration regarding when to bring up the metro menu and when to bring up the Start8 menu.

Grandmastersexsay

Honorable
May 16, 2013
"However, it’s clear that times have changed, with shifts to greater mobility and touch as well as the blurring of work and personal lives. As such, we’ve had to evolve the way we develop and the time in which we deliver to meet customers with the experience they need, want and expect."

I can't stand this conference room inspired, focus group tested crap. Fire these business major clowns and put some engineers and programmers in charge. Microsoft took their complete market domination and flushed it straight down the toilet with their corporate blundering.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"Microsoft Denying Developers Access to Windows 8.1 RTM"

"would need to rely on Visual Studio 2013 preview and the Windows 8.1 consumer preview to update their apps prior to the October 18 launch."

Way to spin something into a negative headline and article. Sickens me that this is what journalism has become. Oh well this is the way it is now.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"There's no telling what extra "goodies" will be packed inside these leaks."

Likely a lot less garbage then MS and OEM's will put in there.

If microsoft would let me disable metro at installation, I might care about 8. Just a little. But as it stands, I don't really. I've fiddled with 8, it's an uglier version of the 360 dashboard, but just as unintuitive. Plus with no reason worth bothering to upgrade, why bother? 7 works perfectly for me.

If microsoft wants consumers to buy their OS, they need to not only listen to them, and give them what they want, because customers know what they want, but give them a reason to buy it. A tablet interface apparently wasn't something people wanted. Certainly wasn't something I wanted.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

This subject IS a negative one. How can someone turn this news into a positive article. Are you and Microsoft expecting developers to code, test and release their final version of the software using a preview release of the OS and IDE. This was the purpose of TechNet and MSDN, so that developers can have their software ready for launch. Apparently Steve Ballmer's cry for developers, developers, developers,... is going down the drain.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Vladislaus : Win 8.1 Beta has provided my team of developers enough to code around the changes.

I cant speak for all developers out there but IE11 was the only change that required 'bug fixing', and there are some under-the-hood DLL changes (for accessing GPS) that are a great step forward.

Im just saying that your negativity towards developers not having access to the latest cut of Win 8.1 is untrue as I have been working with a solid build for the last few months and if I require a RTM build then I'm not doing my job properly as a developer.

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
Toms : Speaking of developers... FOR FUCK SAKE ROLL BACK TO THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS SYSTEM.

This version truly sucks and this is my rant. How the fuck is this a 'new' version when I cant reply, I cant find an edit button, the text window is fucking tiny with no scroll bars, and re-posting on refresh... omg does anyone test their shit anymore?

Get the developer responsible and the QA team (you do qa, right?) in my office NOW and I will show him/her how to do the job preoperly... Bring lots of coffee!

Who the fuck lets bugs go unfixed for more than an hour these days anyway, come on Toms throw your weight around and get something done... or... Just let it go another two months cause thats a smart idea. If a developer tells you something will take weeks to fix and deploy YOU GET ANOTHER DEVELOPER!

althaz

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
As a developer I don't feel like there's anything to complain about here: the consumer preview is feature-complete in terms of the API.

As a consumer, I want to put Windows 8.1 on my PC! Of course I COULD use the Preview for that, but it's not upgradable to the final version which makes it totally not worth it.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010

I'm not saying that Windows 8.1 Preview isn't solid, but it isn't upgradable to the final version, which is going to annoy a lot of developers.

midnightgun

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2007
As a customer that has Windows 7 on my main pc and a new laptop with windows 8, I can't wait for Windows 8.1 to be released so I can upgrade my laptop to be less annoying. As for paying money to get Windows 8.1 on my main machine, it would be over my dead body. I plan a new main machine build early next year and I just hope Windows 7 is still available then.

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
I have no issue with windows 8. The learning curve isn't as bad as people made it out to be. There are a few very small issues that I don't like about it (such as the amount of steps need just to shut down the computer).

The only MAJOR complaint I have with it is the app market. Microsoft really needs to make it worth while for developers to actually make decent apps. Both Microsoft and Sony (as described in many interviews and press conferences) went straight to the developers to make a system that THEY want to make games for... why was that not applied to windows 8?

Asok Smith

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013
The old Ballmer mantra: Developers, developers, developers!

The new Ballmer mantra: "Developers,developers, developers? We doan need no stinkin developers!"

(BTW, given the extremely rushed push to RTM, I'm predicting a disaster of near Biblical proportions for Windows 8.1. Not only will it further depress PC sales, it will be filled with catastrophic bugs as will much of the third party software for it, and the resulting chaos will be sufficient to finish off the Windows consumer franchise once and for all.)

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006

How hard would it be to compute hash of each incoming comment and compare it to all other comments made by the same user in the same thread (or directly compare without hashing)? And in case there's a match, refuse the comment as duplicate? A no-brainer, I would say. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS