News Microsoft Details How It Made Windows 11 Faster Than Windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Improved control over browser -- does that mean that you have to use edge to benefit from Win 11?
MIcrosoft want people using Edge, so sure, they offer incentives to swap. Currently no one click option to swap default applications in win 11 insiders so can only hope thats added but I have my doubts they make it easy process. Can still be done but not as easily

Pirx73

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
I wonder - if machine has TPM 2.0 module, but CPU is below Windows 11 specs - will it install? Like 4th gen Core i7 but with TPM 2.0 module inserted into motherboard's TPM connector?
Provided one can get this module without paying 100+ USDs to scalpers.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Reactions: Pirx73

Pirx73

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2015
Thanks Colif! Just out of curiosity - i will try to get a TPM module for my motherboard for a realistic price. From what i've checked i see that my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H hw. rev. 1.2) has connector for the TPM 2.0 module (GC-TPM2.0) . 20-pin one. Gigabyte makes 2 versions of those - older and newer. Newer is 12-pin and not for my motherboard, older is 20-pin and is for my motherboard. But it is hard to obtain and i have no idea can other manufacturer's modules work with my mobo.

Drazen

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2015
Yeah, OS runs faster only if properly written, definitely not using C# and fully platform independent approach. This applies for programs too.
And now we have problem - low cost developers and fast time to market.
Very good example how MS is not capable of producing decent SW are enormous bugs in literally every their product.
And its not only incompetent developers, also management who is forcing changes, eg Start Menu which is good example of generic (desktop, tablet) approach. That's bad!
But only way for things to change is to move away, eg Linux. But Linux is far away from Windows, but things change, eg Chromebooks.

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
That sounds all good and nice but it comes across as marketing fluff. It's no different than what Apple does to try and sell you their latest hardware. I am NOT anti Windows 11. What is key for me is will Windows 11 improve how I play games? Will they run faster because the OS has been optimized? Windows 10 touted Game Mode which allowed games to run run faster. It was similar to the MS-DOS days where you created your own Autoexec and Config.sys batch files for playing games.

IMO from all the games I played in Game Mode, it had zero effect on those games. The framerate and experience was pretty much the same. So we'll see if Windows 11 really makes a big difference where it counts the most for me, games. If not I'll stick with W10.

You probably won't notice much difference in older games ever and new games at first but future titles will likely be able to take advantage of Resizable BAR much better and better CPU usage and scheduling as well as GPU scheduling but to really make those work it has to also be implemented into the game itself ...... What it does is opens the door for game developers to take advantage of the same things the new gen consoles can do which makes them seem more powerful than they actually are compared to PCs. My current PC can already outperform the PS5 and Series X in most things and this should make it even faster in upcoming titles especially those developed for the Series X. It was the entire point of unifying the DX12 API (DX12 Ultimate). Currently there aren't really any games for the PS5 or Series X that use their full potential because developers simply didn't have enough time with only a 6 month lead time from the final specs to the console releases .... Most of those games aren't showing up until next year and hopefully with Windows 11 the PC can take advantage of it also

Yeah, OS runs faster only if properly written, definitely not using C# and fully platform independent approach. This applies for programs too.
A few points I want to throw out:
  • What's "properly written"?
  • The core OS components of Windows aren't made with C#
  • What's wrong with application software, as opposed to system software being built in C#? Or any other language for that matter?

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I noticed that after downing the latest BIOS for my Asus X570 motherboard that they now turn TPM on by default and I suspect most Motherboard manufacturers will follow suit

russell_john

Honorable
Mar 25, 2018
I wonder - if machine has TPM 2.0 module, but CPU is below Windows 11 specs - will it install? Like 4th gen Core i7 but with TPM 2.0 module inserted into motherboard's TPM connector?

Yes that should work just fine. Your CPU isn't actually below specs it just doesn't have native TPM support built in so you have to use a TPM module where with the newer Intel and AMD CPUs you just turn it on in the BIOS and no TPM module is necessary

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
There really isn't though if you want to game. you're kind of locked into Windows still right?

I can understnd that I can always boot to tails if I want to remove all trace of my activity... but its not practical for day to day workstation usage.

Genuine question - no sarcasm. I'm all for trying something new if it exists.

Not really locked in, no. Linux at this point is a great gaming platform. It will be true for a long time that Windows is better than great by comparison but Valve has put a decade of its effort into the OS and Linux is great to the point that Valve has launched an entire mobile gaming platform(Valve Deck) around it. Intel, AMD, Nvidia, Red Hat, and plenty of other major players have put untold man-hours into getting Linux ready to game.

If I can help you make the switch off of Windows, send me a message sometime.

hannibal

Distinguished

No because it would reduce MS realiability target. Zen1 has tmp compability, but there were more crashes with zen1 so they did leave zen1 out of compability list…

td47

Reputable
Jan 14, 2019
Improved control over browser -- does that mean that you have to use edge to benefit from Win 11?
It seems so, as they mention "sleeping inactive tabs", that made me smile, as Firefox has been doing that for around 2 years at least... No mention of fixing those "remediation" services hogs...

D

Deleted member 14196

When they can make it as fast and efficient as Linux then I’ll be interested—minus all telemetry and spyware

Last edited by a moderator: