Microsoft Details Pricing for Office 365 Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really do like the new Office 2013, but I don't think it's a major upgrade; I do like the cloud support for it and new features. Office has that new "Windows 8" paint on it too.

140$ is steep though, many people will go with Libre Office instead; 80$ would be fine with me.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I use Open Office for myself and it works fine for now. Once the kids are old enough for schooling/homework etc $99 a year for 5 computers to get Office doesn't seem like its breaking the bank.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Many of us will stick with Office 2010.... Office 2013...ugly but with some new features.[/citation]
No kidding - it's WAY too bright, and hurts my eyes. If it let you choose the color (or picked the one from your Windows theme), that would be better. Not to mention how ridiculous their pricing is - $150 for 3 PCs is fine; $140 for one is NOT. And I'm not willing to use a subscription service either. I guess it's Office 2010 for me then.

sync_nine

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Libre office > Any Microsoft Office.[/citation]

I don't agree, i use libre at my workplace everyday and its buggy as hell.
At least 3 times a day i just hangs up, and there is a office.bin file in task manager which you have to delete and then restart the program for it to work again.
Microsoft office doesn't have stupid bugs like these.

volvavite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]sync_nine[/nom]I don't agree, i use libre at my workplace everyday and its buggy as hell.At least 3 times a day i just hangs up, and there is a office.bin file in task manager which you have to delete and then restart the program for it to work again.Microsoft office doesn't have stupid bugs like these.[/citation]
Libreoffice is free and open source. If you see a bug report it and help the community on delivering a free product. Otherwise, pay for Microsoft Office.
On my experience though, Libreoffice is quite stable. I recommend 3.5.0 or later. I stopped using Office and so did my family, and no one complains.

marclee37

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
libreoffice is good, i don't see the reason to pay to MS for the office app.
the whole suite of libreoffice is completely free, which is much powerful than the version MS provide. and one thing i like- libreoffice, firefox uses the menu style i used to.
i do notice the libreoffice latest version 3.6 is not stable with old winxp, go back to version 3.5 is ok.
latest version of gimp is not stable with xp too, go back to one version earlier is fine.

jlc0312

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
I'm still using office2007 I got from the ultimate steal. I use skydrive office on my chromebook so I don't really have any reason to upgrade.

[citation][nom]mynameis1[/nom]i thought windows 8 will have word and excell included ??[/citation]
win8RT for ARM devices will have 'a version' of office that will be similar to home and student, but not be fully featured, and designed even more around a touch interface[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Libre office > Any Microsoft Office.[/citation]
For home use I would say that Libre/Open Office is just fine (I use it on a few of my systems), but when it comes to a business enviornment using massive spreadsheets, databases, locked custom documents that need to also be shared... well Libre can do it... but it is so much simpler to pay a few $$ and get MS office.
However, Libre Office's version of PPT (called Presenter I think??) is so much better than MS PPT that I cannot begin to describe how awesome it is... PPT has always felt like the red-headed step child of office. It is highly necessary, and there is a very large fan base that uses it on a daily basis that would kill MS employees if major changes were made in it's functionaltiy... but the damn thing is just not functional and there are so many better products out there that nobody uses.
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]No kidding - it's WAY too bright, and hurts my eyes. If it let you choose the color (or picked the one from your Windows theme), that would be better. Not to mention how ridiculous their pricing is - $150 for 3 PCs is fine; $140 for one is NOT. And I'm not willing to use a subscription service either. I guess it's Office 2010 for me then.[/citation]
Agreed, I used the beta for a bit, and while it was not all-together bad (and has some better features for OneNote Access and Excel), the whole not having a black/dark theme makes it very difficult to work with for long periods of time. No features so compelling that I feel a need to upgrade from 2007... and really the only reason for me to personally move from office XP was because of all the annoyance of doc vs docX... well and finally having a dictionary in word was a nice plus.

Tell you what MS: You want to do this subscription thing? Here is the deal;
Free game console every time you do a refresh (even a minor refresh) with all the bells and whistles (4 controllers, kinnect, large HDD etc.), and a free replacement every time it breaks (excluding user wear and tear of course)
xbox live gold family membership
$250 Rebate to go towards a windows phone or tablet every 2 years per family member
Office365 with 100GB of Skydrive storage
Current local copy of Office Home and Student with every release (up to 2 per household member)
Current copies of Windows OS for all my home computers with every release (up to 2 copies per household member)
Zune music pass for everyone in the family
10% off at all MS owned stores (xbox market place, games for windows, metro store, etc.)

For all of this, I would be willing to pay $40-50/mo (~$480-600/year) per adult/teen in the house.

I am not a fan of a subscription services. But if you are willing to help keep me current on all major software and hardware (on mobile and game systems at least), and provide a rich ecosystem that has a lot of content within said ecosystem, then I am willing to convert and do more business with you.

Oh, and the same goes for Apple or Google: Give me current devices (even if I have to pay a little extra for higher end devices), free in-house content/software, rich all-you-can-eat web services, and discounts on 3rd party software/services and I'll be more than happy to pay a pretty penny, and convert the whole household over to your products.

But I am not interested in buying into a subscription system that is 'just office' or 'just games' or 'just music'. Such plans are well and good within their own right, but if I am only getting a single service, then I would rather buy the product outright and be done with it. Provide me with a complete and rich ecosystem, and then I'll be interested in paying monthly/yearly fees.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I dont think I will pay a dime for word processing document software again. Libre office are fine for average home user.

Microsoft need to step up the game if they still expect people to pay money for a document software.

dark_knight33

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2006
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]But I am not interested in buying into a subscription system that is 'just office' or 'just games' or 'just music'. Such plans are well and good within their own right, but if I am only getting a single service, then I would rather buy the product outright and be done with it. Provide me with a complete and rich ecosystem, and then I'll be interested in paying monthly/yearly fees.[/citation]

Right, because that's all we need in life, another monthly payment. In fact that's all it seems to be coming to anymore. Work like dog to afford the next months set of payments for crap you don't need, or in some cases even want. SaaS will utterly fail in the consumer market. These businesses think they see untapped dollar signs. Nobody in the consumer market will want to rent software for the same price that they used to buy it for. Microsoft can suck it.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
What is REALLY needed is Open Office Lite for Android, that has the Word Processor, Presentation and Spreadsheet that works on Android phones and tablets.

My new Android phone has almost the same resolution as my 4 year old ThinkPad. Whats taking so long?

volvavite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]What is REALLY needed is Open Office Lite for Android, that has the Word Processor, Presentation and Spreadsheet that works on Android phones and tablets.My new Android phone has almost the same resolution as my 4 year old ThinkPad. Whats taking so long?[/citation]
Libreoffice/TDF is working on an Android port. I suspect we'll be able to test it by the end of the year or so.

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]Libre office > Any Microsoft Office.[/citation]
Anyone as in home user or small business that pays MS for their crap are fools.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I can't think of anything better I would want to do with my money than spend $100 a year on a piece of software that does almost exactly the same thing my already paid version does, which I rarely use to begin with.

Oh wait, yes I can.

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
[citation][nom]mynameis1[/nom]i thought windows 8 will have word and excell included ??[/citation]
you shouldn't think. or confuse dreams with reality ;) why would they do that ????

At least the notepad evolved since win7.

G

The included Skype credit is the best part of the deal.

LibreOffice will do the rest for most people for free.

verdumont456

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
The real reason for MS to keep the prices artificially high is because they want to provide "Value" to their enterprise sheeps. They would say, "you know, if you sign a software assurance, this software would cost nothing. blah blah.." What MS is currently doing will only drive people to other suites, like openoffice/ libreoffice or Google web apps. Not to mention, MS's own office webapps, that are free. I honestly thought their sbuscription model would be much less expensive, like $5/MO or something like that. This is ridiculous price. I will do my best to talk about LibreOffice when budgetting comes along next year.

G

How many more features do you need in a word processor? Still using 2003 and I don't see a reason to update.

Status
Not open for further replies.