Microsoft Details Xbox One X Scorpio Engine SoC

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimeMania

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
The Xbox One X might help widen the appeal of HDR and Freesync as TV and monitor features. It might even encourage Microsoft to fix their HDR support in Windows 10.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015
i think its been said and ive been trying to find the answer. but these specs would put it somewhere around a gtx 1080 for graphics power right? I know that consoles can be optimized better but in general, this is between those two? 4k medium settings 60 fps?

Yea, that GPU setup with a ryzen 4 core/8 thread would make a game changing APU.

No the 1080 is about 9 teraflops. The ScorpioX would be slightly worse than the GTX1070 in performance. However, since it's a console developers can better optimize the code to match the console perfectly, making better use of the teraflops it has.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

The Scorpio SoC wouldn't make a good APU. It's specifically optimized for console performance. In order to stay completely compatible with the XBox One, it needs to have an architecture that's very similar to the original XBox One from 2013. Console hardware stays on the console for good reason.

For a PC you would get better results from an APU built with Ryzen cores and a Vega derived GPU. Architecturally, it would be far more modernized and more appropriate for a Windows environment.

On the other hand it would be neat if you could build a PC with the Scorpio SoC PCI-e card. You could virtualize an XBox OneX environment in Windows and play XBox games natively on your PC. Any calculations unique to the XBox One could be performed on the PCI-e card and the rest of the work could be done on components you already have on your PC. THAT would be cool.

marnox

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Since this is TH and the price is comparable to a single 1070 right now, any estimates how good it is at Ethereum mining? :)

marnox

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Since this is Toms (and it's about equally expensive as a 1070 right now), how good is it at Ethereum mining? :)

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
GPU specs put it on par with an RX 580. RX 580 has less compute units (36 vs 40) but higher frequency, so they both end up with about 6 TFLOPS compute performance. Xbox has higher memory bandwidth (and more memory), but it's shared between CPU and GPU. One shouldn't compare the FLOPS between AMD and Nvidia GPUs and conclude it is equivalent to a 1070; AMD cards always have higher FLOPS than Nvidia cards with equivalent gaming performance.

In other words, the only way it's going to get 4K 60 fps is with many compromises to graphics settings.

"The Xbox One X is now available for pre-order for a whopping $499"

I know that sounds pricey, but this is high end console stuff and will surpass the PS4 Pro. The PS4 Pro is $100 less but also has lower specs. But compared to the PS3's initial $499/$599 release for the Fat Boy's 20GB and 60GB variants respectively, it doesn't sound bad from a historic perspective even though the XB360 released at $299/$399 for core (no hard drive) and 20GB respectively.

With that said, the XB1X and PS4 Pro are the last of their generation. Next up will be the 5th generation of the PS maybe going into the 2018 holiday season based on history. My guess is based on the rather unusual significant upgrade with the XB1X that Microsoft is trying to extend the life of it longer than Sony is with the PS4 line.

You can't use it for mining. Microsoft, like Sony, locked down their OSs on their consoles. You can't install any third party software like mining software on it. If you could, you'd have seen these consoles fly off the shelves long ago.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I've never heard of this thing before, but it's similar to what I'm picturing in my head.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

That's just silly. This would make a fine $500 PC.

I'm sure the decision to go with Jaguar cores was based on the fact that Zen wasn't ready. The CPU cores are really its weakest point, but at least it has 8 of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.