Microsoft Detects New Malware Attacking Mac OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

cee2cee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
More proof that Mac users are the more clueless ones. Sure, PCs have to deal with monthly patches, but I feel bad for those on Macs that incorrectly think they're safe and don't update and then something like this happens.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Fun is that Microsoft actually patched it back in June 2009 (MS09-027). Seems the mac users believe their invulnerable and don't understand the need to patch security leaks in their "magic" machines, much thanks to the false marketing with the TV commercials and all. Crack tend to make people jump of roofs, not patching security holes is just as clever!

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
Except a very small professional content producing margin of Apple OSX users, everybody else uses Macs so they dont have to know or learn or concern themselves with technicalities. THis is a prime example of such population and why they are deluded with the illusion of no viruses in Macs. They cant even update through their automated updating system.

sporkimus

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
Where are the Mac users that claim their computers never get viruses or malware? The soapbox is looking pretty empty at the moment.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
Couldn't help but chuckle knowing that for years Mac fangirls kept touting about how their OS is perfect. We now have a report from Kaspersky saying Apple is years behind on security to that of M$ and now trojan after trojan after trojan emerges for Macs - who would have thunk???? Love it

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Funny...No one has actually mention that it is really a MICROSOFT software vulnerability of OFFICE. Not a vulnerability in Apple's software. I am not fan boy but funny how quick people are to slam to Mac Boys

thebigt42

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]Couldn't help but chuckle knowing that for years Mac fangirls kept touting about how their OS is perfect. We now have a report from Kaspersky saying Apple is years behind on security to that of M$ and now trojan after trojan after trojan emerges for Macs - who would have thunk???? Love it[/citation]
The problem is with a M$ product

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
The software at risk is irrelevant. I understand the irony that it's a Microsoft product, but it could have been a third party software, game, or even iTunes, and the result would be the same. The fact that the OS allows a flawed sofware to exploit it is proof that the OS itself is flawed. A system is as secure as it's weakest link.

G

If you would have read that Kaspersky article in its entirety, you'd then know that it's not Mac security that's behind, but security software for the Mac. Blame Kaspersky, Avast, AVG, etc.. That's not Apple's fault.

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]The software at risk is irrelevant. I understand the irony that it's a Microsoft product, but it could have been a third party software, game, or even iTunes, and the result would be the same. The fact that the OS allows a flawed sofware to exploit it is proof that the OS itself is flawed. A system is as secure as it's weakest link.[/citation]
I think a massive number of people would assert that iTunes is worse than having a virus. I can't think of any other 'required' application that bugs me more than that piece of crap.

halcyon

Splendid
On my Macs MS Office checks for updates automatically. That, I believe, is the default setting...so if you intentionally disable that and don't get the updates seems like you'd be asking for trouble. It seems like most people would be too lazy to intentionally disable the automatic updates so they should be protected.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
The iSheep will be all over this. Apple will basically do something like this:

"We've done it again, introducing iProtect, and revolutionary new program to stop malware attacking your Mac"

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I think the best part is that Apple went through so many OS's until they hit one a bunch of people liked, X, and now they just change the subscript of it instead of releasing XI.

Status
Not open for further replies.