Microsoft Didn't Have Time to Add Notifications to WP8

Status
Not open for further replies.

DroKing

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
Thats very weak. I 2nd aftcomet. You disappoint me msft. Ill just wait till WP8 get better then I just might be tickled for a first smartphone ever.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
I'd rather like it when companies release something late and with the product fully completed and done. Rather than have to wait for them to patch it up, if they ever get around to it after release.

And to get a response from them saying "There are delays and we will release X product when it is done and up to our standards" it shows that they won't push a POS product on us and only release something worthy to me.

coder543

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]assasin32[/nom]I'd rather like it when companies release something late and with the product fully completed and done. Rather than have to wait for them to patch it up, if they ever get around to it after release. And to get a response from them saying "There are delays and we will release X product when it is done and up to our standards" it shows that they won't push a POS product on us and only release something worthy to me.[/citation]

This is Microsoft.

halcyon

Splendid
I've been using Win8 in a VM. Its just frustrating. I guess I need to be patient and wonder why they didn't try to make it intuitive to navigate the UI changes.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Me thinks that there is something else afoot. I doubt they would leave something like this out because they're pressed for time. Something like a central notification hub is trivial to implement (day or so work for one guy). I think they have other concerns here they are trying to work around (like getting sued by Apple or having their device blocked by a court).

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]To the people that keep saying 'weak'... I bet you didn't even notice or know that the feature wasn't going to be included. P.s. This is a WP8 article not W8.[/citation]

Indeed, and this is important to corporates who wants to keep their workphones in tight leach! Not so many person in home controls the programs and usage of their phones via administrator tools ;-)
This is allso a feature that makes windows phones so much different than all other osses. You can use same tools to manage you desktops, laptops, pads and phones, or yo should after those updates comes around.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]Seriously, that excuse isn't valid any more. It took me all of about 30 seconds to learn how to navigate metro. After using it for just two weeks, I already find it more intuitive than anything MS has done before in the UI space.If you can't figure something this simple out, personal computing isn't for you.Seriously, if you're going to pick something to bitch about for W8, there are a ton of actually legitimate reasons to go for.[/citation]
Um no. Its not that I can't learn the new UI...its that I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be looking for how to shut the machine down. ...how to close the Reader. Its 2012, not 1990, the OS should be intuitive...and its not.

G

The part of Windows that Microsoft wants us to see (Metro) is a version 1 product. The fact that there is a big fat update to plow through before you can get started is a testament to Microsoft's desire to make this work, and an indication of the incompleteness of the initial release.

This is a big, hairy deal for Microsoft. They better get it right, eventually.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Um no. Its not that I can't learn the new UI...its that I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be looking for how to shut the machine down. ...how to close the Reader. Its 2012, not 1990, the OS should be intuitive...and its not.[/citation]
Let me put it a different way. What is motivation for me, with a non-touchsreen machine, to go out and pay for Windows 8 when I have Windows 7 given that Windows 8 is not easier to use? Does it add some ground-breaking feature that I overlooked?

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
how do you run out of time????don't these so called developers sleep, eat and spend their family time at work?.....it's called rushing out the software and let the public test it....

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]how do you run out of time????don't these so called developers sleep, eat and spend their family time at work?.....it's called rushing out the software and let the public test it....[/citation]

Yeah, I'm sure it's all about rushing a product out to make $$$ and has nothing to do with time lines :rolleyes:. Android was all sorts of F#@%'ed up when it was released, for quite a few versions it was pretty crappy compared to the standard Apple had already made available. Some new features, yeah, but many customary features were missing. Give 'em a break. This is M$'s first real attempt at capturing the Smart Phone/Touch Phone market and not doing this half-in, half-out thing as before.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Um no. Its not that I can't learn the new UI...its that I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be looking for how to shut the machine down. ...how to close the Reader. Its 2012, not 1990, the OS should be intuitive...and its not.[/citation]Uh, bulls***? There's supposed to be zero learning curve for a totally different UI? What are you smoking?

It's fine if you don't like the Metro/Modern UI. That's why there's still a desktop (plus backwards compatibility of course). But complaining about a small learning curve is ridiculous.

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Let me put it a different way. What is motivation for me, with a non-touchsreen machine, to go out and pay for Windows 8 when I have Windows 7 given that Windows 8 is not easier to use? Does it add some ground-breaking feature that I overlooked?[/citation]
You do realize this thread is about WP8, as in Windows Phone 8. There may be no reason to move to Windows 8 yet, and you probably shouldn't, but if you ever start using a Windows tablet or phone, you may actually find it very convenient that all the OS's act the same.

markusmcnugen

Honorable
Nov 3, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Um no. Its not that I can't learn the new UI...its that I shouldn't have to. I shouldn't be looking for how to shut the machine down. ...how to close the Reader. Its 2012, not 1990, the OS should be intuitive...and its not.[/citation]

I think your mistaking the word intuitive with telepathic. Im just going to assume that you have not and will never try OS/X or any Linux Distros because they arent exactly the way Windows is. It takes like 2 minutes to learn the Modern UI. If you dont like it that's fine, but its not difficult to figure out by any means. Well, that you barely even need Modern UI with all the keyboard shortcuts.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]Kyuuketsuki[/nom]Uh, bulls***? There's supposed to be zero learning curve for a totally different UI? What are you smoking?It's fine if you don't like the Metro/Modern UI. That's why there's still a desktop (plus backwards compatibility of course). But complaining about a small learning curve is ridiculous.[/citation]
Of course there's a learning curve...but for what benefit
Give us 5 compelling reasons a non-touch-screen having user should pay $40 to switch to Windows 8 on their desktops.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
I have to agree with Kyuuketsuki. If you don't like the way the UI looks, that's fine. But if you can't figure out how to use it, you have another issue. You really aren't trying, or don't know how to experiment. There is a limit to what "intuitive" means. I spent a little over a day with it months ago in beta to figure out to do everything I normally do on my computer. Don't like the looks, fine. But don't just make up bad excuses about it being hard to get into if you can't be bothered to try.

Back to the topic of the article, I find it odd that they couldn't find time to squeeze in a relatively simple thing such as a central hub for notifications. I can imagine it being a bit of a crunch, but at the same time it's sort of a starting point, not a late add-on (at least not at this point in smartphone development). Not a deal breaker, which I guess is the feeling they're hoping for, but at the same time it would make one think twice, which I doubt they want.

halcyon

Splendid
[citation][nom]DRosencraft[/nom]I have to agree with Kyuuketsuki. If you don't like the way the UI looks, that's fine. But if you can't figure out how to use it, you have another issue. You really aren't trying, or don't know how to experiment. There is a limit to what "intuitive" means. I spent a little over a day with it months ago in beta to figure out to do everything I normally do on my computer. Don't like the looks, fine. But don't just make up bad excuses about it being hard to get into if you can't be bothered to try.
[/citation]

My point is simply that that there doesn't seem to be anty compelling reason to pay real money to learn the UI. Yes, I could learn it...but why would I want to pay to do so?

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]My point is simply that that there doesn't seem to be anty compelling reason to pay real money to learn the UI. Yes, I could learn it...but why would I want to pay to do so?[/citation]
Does there have to be a reason? If you aren't buying a new system, don't buy the OS. The new OS is for new users, so once they learn one, they can use their tables, phones and PC's with ease and its not like it's hard for existing users to change, but they don't have to either.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
WP7 had no "central hub" for notifications either. Text and e-mail notifications were displayed on the lock screen and on their respective "live tiles"... App updates were displayed on the marketplace tile. If an App didn't have it's own "live tile"....it had no "central hub" for notifications. So, why is this such a major feature all of a sudden?

Status
Not open for further replies.