Microsoft Distributing Windows 8 to Key OEMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
[citation][nom]TheCapulet[/nom]I imagine that's just windows media center, or something similarly stupid. No one in their right mind would make that the primary UI for any OS.[/citation]
I agree.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]heyhihowyadurrin[/nom]Why Windows 8 already? Is this necessary for anything other than making money?[/citation]
Nope.

Although you could say Microsoft is back on track with releasing a new OS every 2-3 years. We were EXTREMELY spoiled with Windows XP, as most of us ended up using it for over 8 years. Although, personally I would consider Windows XP two releases. One release being pre-SP2, the other being post-SP2.

Win 95 - 1995
Win 98 - 1998
Win 2000 - 2000
Win XP - 2001
Win XP SP2 - 2004
Win Vista - 2007
Win 7 - 2009
Win 8 - 2011/2012?

Xatos

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
That feature to essentially reformat and clean install without actually doing so is pretty nice. How many times could that have come in handy in the past? Let's hope it does its job without any hitches or drawbacks, because I sure love the idea.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
The report follows news of a leaked screenshot revealing a System Reset feature in Windows 8. This will allow end-users to reset their systems to the original OEM factory settings without the need for re-formatting and re-installing the OS.
I wonder how long it will take for a virus to take advantage of this retarded feature.

Seriously, if you need a button to re-instal Windows because you get so much Malware then even this 'retard button' isn't going to help you. And I completely agree it is way too early to be moving away from Windows 7. But that's Microsoft for you, they just release OS after OS and hope one of them is somewhat of a success. Probably be as popular as Windows ME

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
Well the primary purpose of a company is to make money.. For some people, this may be a great solution because they may benefit from the integrated cloud features and save a lot of money on malware removal by just resetting the OS rather than paying Geek Squad to "fix" things. It will also add more competition to the tablet and mobile device space with ARM support. Those who don't want to switch can just stick with Windows 7.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]heyhihowyadurrin[/nom]Why Windows 8 already? Is this necessary for anything other than making money?[/citation]

I agree, it makes support costs that much higher for everyone involved. Trying to remember all the details of so many operating systems is a nightmare for everyone. Also, Windows XP was just a bloated, slow, effeminate version of Windows 2000, and supporting one or the other was almost exactly the same. It was easy. Windows Vista and Windows 7 are quite different, and now Windows 8 looks very different too.

Microsoft wants money, of course, but the reality is, this is bad for almost everyone else. No one was crying out for a replacement for XP, because the reality is, the OS just doesn't matter that much, and doesn't need to change rapidly. People buy computers for application software, not hardware, or operating systems. Constantly changing the way the OS works, and is supported, adds enormous costs to companies, with little, or no, benefit.

Of course, if they would leave the interface, and all the commands the same, it wouldn't be so bad. But they have to keep changing it, so they can say it's different, and you need it. People have changed, evolution hasn't made significant difference the past 15 years. Why does Microsoft somehow believe we need things moved here or there? They still don't have an interface as good as OS/2's, of 15 years ago. It's about time they get it right and stop moving everything all over the place, and acting like changing something from a rectangle to a circle is significant and worthwhile. All it does is create support problems.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]outerheaven[/nom]What about Windows ME??[/citation]
Too much fail for me to mention. But that was 2000 as well.
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]so help me if DX12 is windows 8 or higher only...... also the bubbles are bloody stupid.[/citation]
I sure hope they don't release DX12 with Windows 8. Most of the market is STILL using DirectX 9.0c. Not seeing the point of spending all that money on R&D for DX12 if no one is going to use it for another 10 years. Having said that, if they release DX12 with Windows 8, and their next-gen XBox also runs a DX12-based API, then it would make sense.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
bubbles looks like a silly concept UI, I seriously doubt it will see that light of production. I am not sure why all the ragging on Windows and malware since I have gone through just about every version of windows up to current Windows 7 Enterprise and have never been the brunt of malware or viruses? I'm the one on the other end usually cleaning them off for others. Yes, if you are an idiot, you will get attacked, that's what malware people bank on. Don't blame the OS for that. I think I would miss the extra cash from removing it.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Too much fail for me to mention. But that was 2000 as well.I sure hope they don't release DX12 with Windows 8. Most of the market is STILL using DirectX 9.0c. Not seeing the point of spending all that money on R&D for DX12 if no one is going to use it for another 10 years. Having said that, if they release DX12 with Windows 8, and their next-gen XBox also runs a DX12-based API, then it would make sense.[/citation]

I can dream can't I?

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
The next big Directx won't be released until the next xbox. Whether that's DX12 or DX13 I'm not sure, but the DirectX that brings huge new features will be released on console first. MS will not let PC gaming hurt its xbox $$$. Any big 3D API advances they make in R&D will be saved until xbox launch.
That is ofcourse, only if OPENGL doesn't make the leap first (unlikely, OPENGL only plays catch-up).

jqp10

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010

For major corporations SP3 was a big roll out

Win XP SP3 - 2008

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
The report follows news of a leaked screenshot revealing a System Reset feature in Windows 8. This will allow end-users to reset their systems to the original OEM factory settings without the need for re-formatting and re-installing the OS. Rumors suggest that systems will be reset in a matter of minutes, and will be especially beneficial in removing malware plaguing the system.
In which case it won't be done properly, thereby leaving all sorts on there.

jqp10

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]Nope.Although you could say Microsoft is back on track with releasing a new OS every 2-3 years. We were EXTREMELY spoiled with Windows XP, as most of us ended up using it for over 8 years. Although, personally I would consider Windows XP two releases. One release being pre-SP2, the other being post-SP2.Win 95 - 1995Win 98 - 1998Win 2000 - 2000Win XP - 2001Win XP SP2 - 2004Win Vista - 2007Win 7 - 2009Win 8 - 2011/2012?[/citation]

That screenshot reminds me of that Acer Dual screen Touchbook screenshot where you do a multi-touch wrist rotation

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Too much fail for me to mention. But that was 2000 as well.
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]so help me if DX12 is windows 8 or higher only...... also the bubbles are bloody stupid.[/citation]
I sure hope they don't release DX12 with Windows 8. Most of the market is STILL using DirectX 9.0c. Not seeing the point of spending all that money on R&D for DX12 if no one is going to use it for another 10 years. Having said that, if they release DX12 with Windows 8, and their next-gen XBox also runs a DX12-based API, then it would make sense.

G

[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]Why does Microsoft somehow believe we need things moved here or there? It's about time they get it right and stop moving everything all over the place, and acting like changing something from a rectangle to a circle is significant and worthwhile.[/citation]

I agree, it seriously slows me down when they make goofy, useless changes. Faster and leaner is good, but rearranging the interface to make it simpler for grandma make is more cumbersome for everyone else.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
system reset will restore the system back to original OEM settings, essentially wiping out all applications you have installed since you started using the system. guess system restore is still not that reliable in rolling back to the last known good healthy state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS