Microsoft Doesn't Need Self-Made Phones, Company Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
If MS/Nokia made a fair-priced full x86 Win8 gaming tablet (~$500-600) with a decent built-in controller, I'd be sold. So far the gaming tablets that have been announced/released have all been $1000+ beasts. Not interested in paying that much for under-powered hardware.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]chumly[/nom]Windows makes a phone?!?! I've never seen one before![/citation]
No, but Microsoft, who makes Windows, also makes Windows Phone OS. Hardware is made by 3rd party.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]magicandy[/nom]If MS/Nokia made a fair-priced full x86 Win8 gaming tablet (~$500-600) with a decent built-in controller, I'd be sold. So far the gaming tablets that have been announced/released have all been $1000+ beasts. Not interested in paying that much for under-powered hardware.[/citation]
Not asking for much, are you?

[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]After selling only 1.5 million of surface and surface pro be shure they will not do the same in phone area.[/citation]

I'm pretty sure that that number is just the Surface Pro sales, but I could be wrong.

[citation][nom]headscratcher[/nom]Not asking for much, are you?[/citation]

I don't think that it's asking for too much, at least depending on the finer details.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I'm pretty sure that that number is just the Surface Pro sales, but I could be wrong.I don't think that it's asking for too much, at least depending on the finer details.[/citation]
Full x86 gaming rig tablet for $500 - $600. You can get the atom based tablets with Win8 Pro in that neighborhood, but start putting in Core i5, more RAM, etc. and you are pushing close to $1000 or more. What kind of gaming laptop can you get for $500?

psupanova

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
Poor Microsoft, Not really relevant in the post PC world.

They should stick to being a software house that makes the odd nice peripheral.

Lol, try to be more creative ;)

Think smaller. A decent Pentium or i3 is more than enough for the CPU. Even a Celeron with a decent frequency would do the trick. Graphics doesn't need to be anything special. If we think about Haswell, GT3 will probably do the trick. If not, then a weak little graphics card of some sort with performance comparable to, say, a Radeon 6670, maybe a little better, will be plenty. 4GB or 6GB of RAM is not a lot and is very feasible even if it's shared between the graphics and CPU.

Throw in an SSD around 120/128GB or 180/196GB or even 240GB/250GB/256GB or an SSD-cached low RPM 250GB to 500GB hard drive and you're set to go. The hard drive could even be a very thin and cheap to manufacture single platter model at such capacities.

You most certainly don't even need Windows 8 Pro as was earlier suggested. An OEM copy of the non-Pro x86 version would do the job just fine. Heck, maybe there's a Win 8 x86 starter edition that I've forgotten about that would be fine.

Why would Windows phones need to support full x86 code/programs when BB, Android, and iOS generally aren't scorned for lacking such a feature?

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]mt2e[/nom]Until u can run full x86 code/programs on a windows phone, MS phones are 100% dead[/citation]... Right. Because so many people are clamoring to run legacy desktop software on a smartphone. Not. On a decent-sized tablet? Sure. I want a Windows 8 tab. But I can't imagine any scenario where I care about it on a phone.

headscratcher

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2009
blazorthon, I don't think that you are on the low side of $600 with that. I guess if you don't want to play aggressive games, a basic Win 8 tablet will be fine.

If I can buy much better 11.6" laptops for around $400 to $600, which I can, then I'm pretty sure that such a tablet is possible within that price range. The battery life in gaming might not be great or such, but it should be possible.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]koss64[/nom]They learned their lesson from the Kin disaster...[/citation]
MS had full control over KinOne and KinTwo....they botched the launch themselves....then Verizon put the final nail in the coffin (in the US anyway) by requiring a $30/month "smartphone data plan" on a damn feature phone. Sadly, there are still people dumb enough to believe the Kin was a "smartphone", even though it was never intended to be (or even marketed as such).

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Hardware wise, the current Windows Phone's from HTC and Nokia have some of the best internals on top of a good OS. I don't think Microsoft can do any better than that but wait and continue offering the best OS while forcing its OEMs to use good hardware. These things take time like DirectX took time to overtake OpenGL.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Compatibility is a good thing, folks. And that's the single compelling feature in x86 Windows. For instance:

Ever had trouble opening Office documents in your mobile OS?
Ever had a video file that couldn't be played or was unable to change subtitles/audio?
Ever had trouble with Flash content or certain streaming formats?
Ever wished to use a feature in your mobile IM client that wasn't avaiable?
Ever wished to use the same browser you have chosen for your PC?
Ever had trouble with compressed mail attachments in not-so-popular formats, such as 7z?
Ever felt like playing WoW in your tablet, with keyboard and mouse?

Status
Not open for further replies.