Discussion Microsoft 'doubles down' on their Windows 11 CPU support - only adds ONE specific CPU after re-examination

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

If you recently bought the Surface Studio 2 with the i7-7820HQ you've been given a pass, but that's it. No AMD Zen 1 (and earlier) or any other Intel 7th gen (and earlier) CPUs will be supported.
I found the tidbit about kernal mode crashes interesting. Why would the piece of hardware matter?? Older CPU would just take more time. This is just Microsoft baking a low water mark into the OS. This equates to saying, "The hardware is fine but CPUs older than X are too slow FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM'S EXPECTATIONS."

Reactions: harrypnyce

COLGeek

Cybernaut

If you recently bought the Surface Studio 2 with the i7-7820HQ you've been given a pass, but that's it. No AMD Zen 1 (and earlier) or any other Intel 7th gen (and earlier) CPUs will be supported.
I found the tidbit about kernal mode crashes interesting. Why would the piece of hardware matter?? Older CPU would just take more time. This is just Microsoft baking a low water mark into the OS. This equates to saying, "The hardware is fine but CPUs older than X are too slow FOR THE OPERATING SYSTEM'S EXPECTATIONS."
Just thought I would follow up on this thread. My Dell Precision 7520 has an i7-7820HQ. PC Health Check indicates the CPU is not compatible (even though the Precision 5520 with same CPU is, according to the notes on the compatible Intel list).

This could change, but doesn't make the cut at this time.

Reactions: alceryes