Question Microsoft Edge crashed and refuses to start again

pandapoodle

Reputable
Oct 17, 2018
I opened a google document tab on Microsoft Edge which responded by immediately crashing without error message and now it refuses to start again. I attempt to start it but literally nothing happens. No Window. No error. Nothing.

I have tried:
1) Rebooting: Issue persists.
2) Repairing through the App settings: It goes through the motions but issue persists, even after more reboots.
3) Uninstalling I cant due to an error pop-up: "There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personell package vendor."
4) Downloading and Installing Edge again: It goes through the motions, but issue persists.
5) Venturing into the AppData/Local/Packages/ and removing the Microsoft Edge folders there: It did not seen to have any effect so I put them back.

If anyone has a good idea I am all ears. I really want to avoid re-installing the entire OS over this however.

Lutfij

Titan
Seems to me like your OS is playing with you. What version(not edition) of the OS are you working with? Could you see if there's a restore point prior to the issue you've encountered? Also, you sure the document wasn't infected?

Colif

Win 11 Master
right click start button

choose powershell (admin)

copy/paste this command into window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth

and press enter

Then type SFC /scannow

and press enter

Restart PC if SFC fixes any files as some fixes require a restart to be implemented

First command repairs the files SFC uses to clean files, and SFC fixes system files

SFC = System File Checker. First command runs DISM - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/what-is-dism?view=windows-11