News Microsoft Edge Will Soon Hijack Outlook and Teams Links by Default

RichardtST

Notable
May 17, 2022
Windows is an advertising and data-collection program. Ever hear of the frog and the pot of water story? Throw a frog into boiling water and it will jump out. Throw it into cold water and turn up the heat, the frog will happily turn to soup... Windows is the same, every release they crank up the heat... you are the frog.

OneMoreUser

Prominent
Jan 2, 2023
Just when I thought Microsoft wasn't evil... no wait I never stopped thinking of them as evil.
If Microsoft were to offer their user to active this scheme it would sort of be okay, but this BA is just more of the same crap they've always pull.
Lets hope the EU give them another kick in the gut.

Dr3ams

Commendable
Sep 29, 2021
Edge? No thanks. Chrome has everything I want under one roof.

Also...type Google Chrome into Edge's search engine and get this response:

"There's no need to download a new web browser. Microsoft recommends using Microsoft Edge for a fast, secure, and modern web experience that can help save you time and money".

Reactions: peachpuff
Nevertheless, Microsoft says that this change is for the benefit of its users.

you mean users like me who have never once opened up Edge because I have a flash drive with firefox installer on it?
Edge sucks.
Chromium sucks.

MS needs stop being the "parent" thinking they know what is best for us.

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
I swear the people who runs these companies are incapable of deep thought. On one hand you are trying to convince regulators that you are changed company and should approve the Activision acquisition because they won't lock users in... but then you go and do this to show that you are, in fact, good old MS and more that happy to lock people in anyway you can.

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
This won't directly effect me. We use MacOS for our UI computers and Linux for our servers. That said, if I was in the target group, I would be furious. I run different accounts on different browsers. This makes it much less complicated to have more than one account open at a time. I could be acting as both an administrator and a user when debugging a problem. Having something in the background decide what browser I want would be a serious pain.

Reactions: JamesJones44

USAFRet

Titan
"Ultimately though, if this experience isn't right for you, you can turn off this feature the first time it launches in Microsoft Edge, and then in Outlook settings at any time after that."

Obviously, we shouldn't have to.
But it looks easy enough to turn off.

And of course those in a networked situation with pushed GPOs....this will be disabled by default.

Reactions: MiniITXEconomy