Microsoft Employees Fired Over Windows 8 Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fendulon

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007
Yeah, that is actually what one of the leaks looks like. It's quite similar to Windows 7 at the moment but a lot of the new features are popping up.

valpanig

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2009
Wow, loosing job for a few meaningless images that don't look that much different from previous version of windows. Now only option those employees have is to become hackers and do some serious projects to make the world a better place.

c_herring

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]Wow, loosing job for a few meaningless images that don't look that much different from previous version of windows. Now only option those employees have is to become hackers and do some serious projects to make the world a better place.[/citation]
Did you mean images like the article jpeg, or did you mean images like the bootable disk images?

I don't think Microsoft would take kindly to their employees putting current or past versions of Windows out there for download, either.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
How could they not leak it when the damn thing how such a desperate looking plea not to actually gives the impression of wanting to be leaked. It's like a giant big red button and a sign next to it saying "Do not press" I am almost willing to bet money that this actually is what started the temptation to do it in the first place. I'm not saying what they did was right but it was bound to happen.

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
It don't think there will be major cosmetic changes in Win 8. The setup in Windows 7 is simple and user friendly and sales have been great. What can be altered is the guts of the beast: NTFS needs an update. Certain kernel operations need to be modernized - an example is storage write throttling that occurs at the system level. Add some goodies like native blu-ray support for WMP and pdf support in the OS.

vafik

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
[citation][nom]valpanig[/nom]Wow, loosing job for a few meaningless images that don't look that much different from previous version of windows. Now only option those employees have is to become hackers and do some serious projects to make the world a better place.[/citation]

If you read the article is says they were fired for leaking working copies of the OS. I'm sure they wouldn't get fired for leaking images of Win8 since they build on the Win7 UI. Win8 will look a lot like win7 until the final build rolls out.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you do the "crime", be prepared to do the "time". These guys all sign non-disclosure statements and understand the repercussions should they violate the agreement. While I am not a MS fan, good for them for doing the right thing.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]loomis86[/nom]It clearly says "windows 7" in the bottom right corner[/citation]
Build 7850.winmain_win8m1, that last part means Milestone 1 of Windows 8. It is just using the Windows 7 UI cause it's available and quick way to check to see if things are working, that will change nearing end though.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I can't ever figure out why people leak things like this - risk a decent job for what...

Sometimes I do wonder if things have been "leaked" for publicity too.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]The Greater Good[/nom]valpanig, if you can't play by the rules and you get caught... you deserve to be fired.[/citation]
The irony is that the leaks seem to be drumming up interest for Windows 8, which I'm sure is what they assumed. They probably just expected a slap on the wrist because in the end they are basically giving MS free word of mouth advertising, which is always the most effective form of advertising.

I'm tempted to look for a torrent myself and try it out just for a short test drive, but personally I'd rather wait for a more finished leak....that is if there will be one. One can only hope!

digitalraine

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I'm sure you signed a contract with the devil before they let you work in hell. You're lucky the didn't take you to court over it. I'm no fan of MS (tho props on Win7 -no credit is exaggerated there), but that's the price you pay for those leaks we love to hear. Gotta think twice - it usually takes unethical action to feed the unethical side of people.

G

"brb. Going to check the torrents."

"amen"

The only thing more stupid than torrents are the people who brag about using them. Use the Net and direct download instead of eating up massive bandwidth.This is one of the reasons caps are being enforced.

verbalizer

Distinguished
"brb. Going to check the torrents."

"amen"

The only thing more stupid than torrents are the people who brag about using them. Use the Net and direct download instead of eating up massive bandwidth.This is one of the reasons caps are being enforced.
OK, more specifically on my part is not the torrent (I have never used one).
I'm commenting on the 'free software' issue.
Are WE clear now.?

so rapidshare, filestube and etc. are all cool with me..

Status
Not open for further replies.