Microsoft Envisions One Windows OS To Rule Them All

Status
Not open for further replies.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
So we're purposely trying to turn my desktop computer into a glorified smartphone. We're not just trying to make Windows look like Windows Phone, we're actually trying to make the two into one OS. Awesome. Thanks, Microsoft.

"One of the biggest complaints thus far is a lack of a common store shared between all three platforms."
Really? That's the biggest complaint? How many people have you heard saying 'Man, I wish there was another proprietary software store installed on my system right now, especially one that I can use from my phone, too'?

I'm gonna go fire up the good old IBM PS/2 Model 80... times like this I need the sounds of a massive chunk of DOS-powered hardware spinning up. Remember MFM disk drives? They were never trying to smartphone-ify those.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
They do have a interesting position, dominance in PCs, have a consoles, tablet/phone OS. I would hope they have a unify store front where I buy a PC App and get an App for all platform as well. For ex. buying a game on PC get u an Xbox/phone copy.

I'm not sure how they gonna make this work well on all the diff platform. I'll sit tight & wait and see how they do it, instead of having a negative view b4 OS come out

oh btw, brace myself, expecting incoming win8 hater storming in here for their unreasonable hatred that they keep singing again again and again for 9999 times.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
It's a joke that people keep harping on about the changes MS are trying to make to bring them back in to the game. Remember when MS didn't try to change things? Along came Apple with the iPhone and iPods and revolutionised the way we use mobile phones and listened to music on the move, not long after Android came along too.
What is it exactly with a modern MS OS that you can't do that has you complaining all the time?
Personally I like changes to technology, not just advancements along the same paths but complete changes in direction and I think the next few years is going to be very interesting.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
The biggest obstacle to this vision is Windows desktop OS takes more than 10Gb of storage. Mobile phone still stuck with 16Gb storage mostly. And there are so much overheard in the desktop OS which is fine on deskto due to the powerful CPU while the most expensive mobile CPU is still at Atom level of performance. The mobile phone will have to cost twice or more than a mainstream desktop in order to run this One Windows OS comfortably.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Even Apple knows that there's a difference between a desktop/ laptop OS and a phone/ tablet OS.
MS will never become Apple because they've yet to get a mass of mindless cult like followers!

toalan

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
I bet microsoft is really regretting Win RT and windows phone, if you could do it all over again I am sure MS would have just used x86 across all devices + win8. Nobody would have guessed that Intel would be able to pimp out a quad core atom that is competitive with ARM in terms of power consumption. Intel used to be butt buddies with MS, not sure why they did not clue MS in. Now you have full windows 8 tablets starting at $300 with a quad core Atom, where is there room for RT, in the near future once atoms go into phones where is there room for windows phone?

MS should just dump RT and windows phone now, they will eventually dump it in favor of win8. A single device that runs win8, stick it into a docking station and I get a laptop/desktop experience, on the go you get a phone/tablet experience, no bloody files to sync across devices, or sh*tty MS office alternatives, or sh*tty mobile games. Put thunderbolt it and 99% of people will be happy as pigs in sh*t.

Windows x86 has the largest market share of any OS (not counting linux on routers), it is huge advantage, Win RT and windows phone does not leverage that advantage. Why fight an uphill battle when you can charge downhill with the might of all the legacy windows x86 apps behind you.

toalan

Honorable
Jun 17, 2013
I bet microsoft is really regretting Win RT and windows phone, if you could do it all over again I am sure MS would have just used x86 across all devices + win8. Nobody would have guessed that Intel would be able to pimp out a quad core atom that is competitive with ARM in terms of power consumption. Intel used to be butt buddies with MS, not sure why they did not clue MS in. Now you have full windows 8 tablets starting at $300 with a quad core Atom, where is there room for RT, in the near future once atoms go into phones where is there room for windows phone?

MS should just dump RT and windows phone now, they will eventually dump it in favor of win8. A single device that runs win8, stick it into a docking station and I get a laptop/desktop experience, on the go you get a phone/tablet experience, no bloody files to sync across devices, or sh*tty MS office alternatives, or sh*tty mobile games. Put thunderbolt it and 99% of people will be happy as pigs in sh*t.

Windows x86 has the largest market share of any OS (not counting linux on routers), it is huge advantage, Win RT and windows phone does not leverage that advantage. Why fight an uphill battle when you can charge downhill with the might of all the legacy windows x86 apps behind you.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
x86 OS across all platforms would be awesome actually.

I want an X86 phone with Win8 on it. The ram would be intense, but let's just do it anyway. Put a big battery on that baby.

John Bauer

Honorable
Jul 16, 2013

I'm sorry, but yes, Microsoft does

m32

Honorable
Apr 15, 2012
I keep debating to upgrade to W8. I'm glad I keep getting reminded not to. As a geek, we want to upgrade to the next thing. I've never had nothing wrong with W7 in the 3+ years I've been using it. I just have to wait or wait for Microsoft to get a change of heart. You can't do whatever you want and have my support.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
So...Windows 9 = Windows One?

That actually makes sense. The new XBOX is called XBOX One, so Windows One would seem to logically follow (for Microsoft).

Why not have the same lightweight OS for all devices? Why not let the end user decide upon installation of Windows, if they want a simple or pro version, then install such features themselves.

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Three service packs for XP under the sky,
Windows Seven for the Enterprise in their halls of servers,
Windows Nine for Mortal Men doomed to upgrade,
One OS for Microsoft on its dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
One Windows OS to rule them all, One Windows OS to find them,
One Windows OS to replace them all and in the darkness bind them

This is what I thought when I read the title.

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Windows Seven for the Enterprises in their halls of servers,

This was my first though when I read the heading.

combine1237

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Windows Seven for the Enterprises in their halls of servers,

This was my first though when I read the heading.

Status
Not open for further replies.