Microsoft Files Patent for "Magic Wand"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
They patented the "Magic Wand" ? ... such bad times to be a wizard, witch or sorcerer. Either you pay royalties to Microsoft, or no more magic for you ... :p

acecombat

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
How can you patent a device which "can utilize one or more sensor from a collection of sensors to determine an orientation or gesture in connection with the wand, and can further issue an instruction to update a state of an environmental component based upon the orientation" when that is exactly what the Wiimote does???

outacontrolpimp

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2008
[citation][nom]acecombat[/nom]How can you patent a device which "can utilize one or more sensor from a collection of sensors to determine an orientation or gesture in connection with the wand, and can further issue an instruction to update a state of an environmental component based upon the orientation" when that is exactly what the Wiimote does???[/citation]

using a different technology for it makes it ok, plus wimote only has 1 sensor. they said a collection of them

nonstoprobot

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I just hope they come out with something cool involving motion sensors. I really dislike the idea of buying a nintendo wii for wii sports alone. It's an inferior system besides to my 360.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
"The architecture can exist in whole or in part in a housing that can resemble a wand or similar object. The architecture can utilize one or more sensor from a collection of sensors to determine an orientation or gesture in connection with the wand, and can further issue an instruction to update a state of an environmental component based upon the orientation."

i'd give a link if could find it, but i remember several patent apps with almost the exact same line as the above. Including one before the wii ever came out.... HMMMMMMMM the industry trying to catch up to the top sellers in the US? go figure. oh wait, i guess this is just a repeat of history with anyone that's seen "Pirates of the Silicon Vally"
:p

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]outacontrolpimp[/nom]using a different technology for it makes it ok, plus wimote only has 1 sensor. they said a collection of them[/citation]
Actually, the Wiimote has not only the camera to determine its orientation relative to the sensor bar of the Wii, but also internal accelerometers to determine its path through space.

ossie

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
More patentland bullshit.
"Of course, a patent application is just one way of Microsoft to protect something it may choose to explore"
That's exactly the problem with SW patents - just to hamper others to create something new, by patenting some empty wording, without any substantiations.

[citation][nom]jerky_san[/nom]You would think adobe with their "magic wand" in photoshop already has the name patented..[/citation]
:lol: True that. After all people are patenting all kins of things from smiley icons to words.

guys do not forget about the wii motion plus attachment to the remote. that will make the wii-mote have multiple censors. i can see MS and Nintendo going to court about this. not only does MS make inferior consoles but they have to copy off successful hardware too. but hey that's the MS way

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jerky_san[/nom]You would think adobe with their "magic wand" in photoshop already has the name patented..[/citation]
You can't patent a word. You can trade mark them though, and it's not cut and dry. For example, Microsoft is trademarked, but a sponge company can legally say that their sponge has "microsoft air pockets". On the other hand, Logitech can't say that their new computer mouse features a "microsoft ergonomic grip".

[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Wait, I was pretty sure that Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry had already applied for this patent......[/citation]

What if it had a "M$ economic grip"? Could they say that?

[citation][nom]knickle[/nom]You can't patent a word. You can trade mark them though, and it's not cut and dry. For example, Microsoft is trademarked, but a sponge company can legally say that their sponge has "microsoft air pockets". On the other hand, Logitech can't say that their new computer mouse features a "microsoft ergonomic grip".[/citation]

What if it had a "M$ economic grip"? Could they say that?

knickle

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]What if it had a "M$ economic grip"? Could they say that?[/citation]
They most certainly can! "Mircocrap economic grip" would also be perfectly legal to use. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.