Microsoft Finally Clarifies Online and Used Games Policies, Xbox One Must Go Online Every 24 Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

hixbot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
Consoles will always have a spot in my home for local multiplayer games.
I was hugely in favour of the 360 over PS3 but I'll be jumping to Sony for the next gen. 24 hour online DRM, give me a break... MS has XBoned us again.

Heh, I still remember someone very naive arguing over Microsofts immaculate positive feeling towards gamers.
I guess big bucks from Publishers are louder than risking their own brand and image for this gen. Gotta love that way of thinking from MS. I thought they saw what being an arrogant bastard did after Sony with the PS3, lol.
Cheers!

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Steve Balmer's Xbox One vs. Gabe Newell's Steam Box; this will be a bout of epic proportions. New epic rap battle please?

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Damn Microsoft!!!! I enjoy playing Black ops online so much I will still buy it! I hope someone hacks the hell out of this console and be 360 all over again! All I got to say is there better be some damn good games and not little kinect child games..pshhhhhh

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Insert disgusted meme face here. Makes me not want to buy it. I guess if my internets go out, I would have 24 hours that I could play while I wait...

Dropdead777

Honorable
Apr 28, 2013
Damn Microsoft!!!! I enjoy playing Black ops online so much I will still buy it! I hope someone hacks the hell out of this console and be 360 all over again! All I got to say is there better be some damn good games and not little kinect child games..pshhhhhh

aggie1295

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2009
I'm not a fanboy or hater for either Sony or Microsoft, although I've probably usually preferred my Xbox and Xbox 360 to my PS2 & PS3, but this Xbox One stuff is just becoming so stupid it is giving me a headache. They don't seem to understand the idea that you purchase a console and you purchase games, you don't purchase license. I don't even buy used games and I'm offended at their general attitude in which they seem to believe they are being generous by allowing you to share or trade in games on a limited basis and their DRM disguised as a 24 hour internet check. The stupidity in which they are both publicizing and coming up with these ideas is just mindboggling. Are they really so stupid to think that these nickel and dime requirements will make them enough money to make up for the loss of consumers passing on the new console. Right now I see no reason to purchase an Xbox One anytime in the near future, if ever. Between the Xbox One and the Windows 8 fiasco, if I owned Microsoft stock I would dump it in a heartbeat. Microsoft has become a suicidal company.

Adrianime

Distinguished
May 29, 2013
In the case of a zombie apocalypse, your XBOX can be enjoyed for gaming for 24 hours after the internet goes down. Splendid.
So...this is a licensing system...but you can have used games? So I guess in your personal account you have to go withdraw the games license from your account? The new recipient better not have to play an activation fee. Because that means there are no used games.

Adrianime

Distinguished
May 29, 2013

I'm betting a large number of those people are elderly and unlikely to be playing console games anyways though.

falcompsx

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Looks like the ps3/360 are the last generation of console I will own. Maybe a Wii U for zelda / mario games that are always fun.... and dont have always online DRM, but even that is unlikely. I'll stick with my pc gaming.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Quite astonishing that MS thinks it has the right to know if one has given
a game to a friend. Pretty sure what they're trying to do is not lawful in
Europe, and various Asian countries too. I can see this getting very messy
in the future. And the part about the games being unplayable if the box
can't connect within 24 hours, that dropped my jaw.

I could say I hope people will vote with some sense & their wallets and just
not buy the system, but sadly the vast majority of ordinary users are not
tech-savvy; they don't care about all these issues. They'll just buy the system
and by sheer numbers will help push through yet more crazy business methods
designed solely to control what we can do while maximising profits. Sad times.

Ian.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

jiFfM.jpg

did they seriously dare to post that as a feature?!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

sucks less, but still sucks pretty damn bad.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Connect at least once every 24 hours? You can loan out a game to a friend for 30 days? You can remove games from your account and resell them? This better than a lot of PC licensing and DRM, yet I still game on PC more than anything. It's never bothered me on PC, and it won't bother me here either.

Status
Not open for further replies.