Microsoft Finally Clarifies Online and Used Games Policies, Xbox One Must Go Online Every 24 Hours

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You're interpreting that wrong. The number you list, 56%, describes the contribution of North America internet users out of the total internet users of the Americas continents. As of 2011, 78.3% of the US population had access to internet, read through that site more carefully, you'll find this: http://www.internetworldstats.com/america.htm#us and this was their source: http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/us.htm

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Still, 78% of USA has broadband, that's around 312 million people
Number of Xbox 360s sold in USA hovers around 27 million
Connected people outpace Xbox users by more than 11 to 1, so moaning about some guy wanting to play his Xbox in the middle of the forest up in the Colorado Mountains is not going to get crowds of protesters in the street and likely any internet forum hype will be fueled by PR firms hired by Sony, Nintendo, Google, Apple, Samsung, Facebook, Steam - take your pick

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Agreed.

And quasi-related, I'd also ask how many of the people moaning about this are also loyal and avid Steam users--I'd bet a lot, if not almost all.

IAmVortigaunt

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I don't know what all the outrage is about. Honestly, if they're going to allow you to play the game without a disc, which is really convenient and to play games on multiple Xboxes and such, what are you expecting them to do? I mean, they're not just going to let you keep giving your game to dozens of people to all install and play.
BTW, these policies are less restrictive than PC games in general, in that you can actually give them to friends or sell them back. Yes, there are some restrictions, but again, given the features they're giving you access to, what do you expect them to do? When you buy a game on Steam, that's it. No trading. No re-selling. Done.
Yes, there's the check-in every 24 hours. We can quibble about how frequent this check-in should be, but it doesn't seem all that unreasonable. Yeah, if you don't have internet access, it sucks I guess, but this is how the world is moving. It's becoming increasingly difficult to participate in modern culture without an internet connection. And I think some of things they've talked about in terms of cloud rendering and such are interesting.
Also, they've highlighted the control the user will have over things like the Kinect and what data is collected and what gets sent. So chill out about the monitoring paranoia. Most laptops these days come with webcams--are you freaking out about that?
People need to chill out and think about what they're saying before they just spout off on the internet.

nolarrow

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
Sounds like its easier to just swap consoles with a buddy every other month in order to effectively double your game purchasing / swapping power. I just bypassed M$FT DRM - 0 day hack - shout outs to raz0r

viliu24

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
every one here is pissed off about xboxe one, but you realize that always will be enough dumb people who will buy because its"cool" and other who say this things wont bother them.I am a pc gamer and always be, even i have own in past x360 and ps3, u cant even compare gaming pc with consoles.The only fun games on consoles are with friends(not online) and games like soccer racing and fighting games.If you realy want to enjoy a game , play it on a pc , is cheaper anyway..

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006

Um, excuse me? Metro is just as good on non-touchscreen PC's as on touchscreen PC's. It's nothing more than a full-screen start menu with additional functionality, something that people had been asking Microsoft forever for.

Now, the knocks on the XBox One (which if some things don't change, I will be passing over) are justified, especially about the DRM.

Although I have no doubt that MS won’t care, and myself not being an avid gamer this does not really affect me. There are many consoles on ships at sea that have no internet access navy ships, merchant ships, personal cabin cruisers etc. They will be taking away one of the primary methods of entertainment aboard ships. Granted these people can always go back to cards and books. But I am sure it will just move purchases away from consoles to more portable non internet required devices. You will no longer be able to have LAN parties on the ship for special events. This will have a large effect on crew morale.

wdmfiber

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
This console is completely worthless for any mobile application. I recently finished the wiring in a new race trailer(53' Nascar style, by Hi-Tech). The lounge is gorgeous. And for gaming/Blu-ray, I installed a PS3.
Money isn't an object, but no one is going to allow a console access to their air-card(broadband over cellular) just so the stupid thing will work. Same goes for all the coaches(bus style motor homes). Appears the PS3 is the pinnacle of consoles, it's all "down hill" from here...

jdlobb

Honorable
May 16, 2013
So much for taking the new XBox to overseas with you on a military deployment. I know this seems like a trivial thing, but in 8 years of military service I've never been to a deployed location, no mater how remote and hostile, that didn't have an XBox brought by somebody. For the most extreme example I think you even catch a glimpse of some soldiers playing Call of Duty on a 13" screen in the documentary Restrepo.

cripton

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
I do enjoy my Xbox 360 and was planning to buy the new Xbox One. After reading all of this non-sense Microsoft is doing and complicating things to get more money, if all this is indeed true, I will definitely buy a PS4. I want to be able to buy a game (not all this licensing BS) and be able to play at my house, or take it to a friends house the next day, then at my house again a few hours later. Sorry Microsoft, you keep screwing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.