Microsoft Finally Sets Official Windows 8 Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltdementhial

Aug 20, 2011
[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Anyone one here planning on actually upgrading their desktops to Win8? Just curious.[/citation]

Me, but not on desktop at least not yet, i bought my mother an HP AIO with touch screen but it has only 2gb of ram (the damn thing is a laptop inside it uses frikin laptop Dimms ram) so i think W8 will be a little better with metro...i will use it if MS release an "old school" theme or a way to disable metro...officially of course if not when all aboard the W7 Sp2 Train.

geraldfryjr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
Yeehhh!!!

I have been using the preview version and it seems to be working very well so far.
I will probably jump on the upgrade deal when it gets released to save a some money in the long run!!
I don't much care for the metro interface but after I learned my way around it I now have it setup they way I am used to it as in WinXP and Win7.

jer :)

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
It's looking rather scary so moving it to October 30 (Devil's/Mischief Night) would make sense. Would give them a few more days for testing.

G

If I buy the upgrade, can I still use Vista and windows 8 as a dual boot?

Or do I loose my Vista completely, and be stuck with only windows 8?

If my windows Vista key still works on my PC, and I have the option to go back to it If I hate windows 8 then count me in. But if the "Upgrade" uttery makes my Vista key worthless and unable to use then I'll pass.

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]CanIdualbootvista[/nom]If I buy the upgrade, can I still use Vista and windows 8 as a dual boot?Or do I loose my Vista completely, and be stuck with only windows 8?If my windows Vista key still works on my PC, and I have the option to go back to it If I hate windows 8 then count me in. But if the "Upgrade" uttery makes my Vista key worthless and unable to use then I'll pass.[/citation]

Not that i know of but you would not want to go back in to windows vista after using 8 because you realize how much faster windows 8 is compared to vista but you coudl download the windows 8 RP version right now and dual boot but at anyrate windows 8 is far faster then even 7 of which it self is faster then windows vista

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
I'm upgrading. For the $40 I feel it's worth it to give Windows 8 a chance.

I'll just save an image of my current setup with win 7, and then if Windows 8 sucks, I can be back to my original setup in about 30 minutes anyways.

G

My windows vista after tweaked, is fine. All you vista haters always have made me laugh.

It has been proven time and time again, that it runs just fine for people with a brain. I have a windows 7 Pc with darn near the same system specs as the vista, and the benchmarks are very, very close.

Windows 7, has been, and was showed to be vista service pack 2. If you tweak what runs, and arnt a retard. It's a great OS. Never had a BSOD, no bad drivers, nodda.

[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]I'm upgrading. For the $40 I feel it's worth it to give Windows 8 a chance. I'll just save an image of my current setup with win 7, and then if Windows 8 sucks, I can be back to my original setup in about 30 minutes anyways.[/citation]

save the 80 bucks and download the preview. i doubt much will be changed

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]save the 80 bucks and download the preview. i doubt much will be changed[/citation]

Yeah I've thought about it ... I'm always reluctant to install anything too early as it would be on my only desktop. Probably not bad advice though, cheers.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I will probably buy Windows 7 on October 26th. Windows 8 needs to fail really, really hard so Windows 9 will be something that makes sense on proper computers. Microsoft is trying to stage a coup by forcing all desktop users to the mobile market. If they succeed, Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode and Microsoft will be the one to decide what software you can run on your computer.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Who cares, just hurry up and give us some tablets--a proper alternative to iOS and Android, and for the love of god, something where our apps aren't constantly crashing.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
I am going to update to win 8 eventually. I am using the preview right now. I just watch video online and stuff like that. So Vista just has to go. Vista sucks anyway, so no big loss.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]I will probably buy Windows 7 on October 26th. Windows 8 needs to fail really, really hard so Windows 9 will be something that makes sense on proper computers. Microsoft is trying to stage a coup by forcing all desktop users to the mobile market. If they succeed, Windows 9 won't even have a desktop mode and Microsoft will be the one to decide what software you can run on your computer.[/citation]
It goes beyond that, Microsoft wants an "app store" so they can make even more money off their operating systems in the same way that they already do on the Xbox Live market place.

I really don't like the direction that personal computing is going...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't like where this is heading. Give me a GOOD OS for a desktop/laptop, and I will upgrade to it. I will be staying with Windows 7 until they manage to get their act together...

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
I don't like where this is heading. Give me a GOOD OS for a desktop/laptop, and I will upgrade to it. I will be staying with Windows 7 until they manage to get their act together...

[citation][nom]phatboe[/nom]Anyone one here planning on actually upgrading their desktops to Win8? Just curious.[/citation]
I am definitely getting it for my touch screen netbook, it really works so much better than win7 ever did.
Still debating about getting it for the desktop... not so much for win8, but for the 'pro' part of the deal. It is a video editing machine with win7 home on it but I cannot do more than 16GB of ram with home edition. It would be cheaper to upgrade to 8pro for $40 to have 32GB of ram than to buy a new copy of win7 pro to unlock the Ram capacity. I'm also getting WP8, so there may be some (minor) advantage to having all 3 systems on the same basic OS.
If I do upgrade both of my machines, I may force my wife to upgrade as well so that we can domain the house... but she just might kill me if I touch her computer again (I kinda broke it the other day :X ).

But as much as I have enjoyed win8, it really is not for most people on a traditional desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.