Microsoft Fingerprint Reader

The Microsoft Fingerprint Reader seems to work with only the IE
browser. Should I be surprised? Is it true or is there something I can
do to make it work with Mozilla? It works on the other API's I have
tried, but I haven't tested all of the ones I use as yet.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

The minimum system requirements for the Microsoft Fingerprint Reader
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892621

=> Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or a later version
=> Microsoft MSN Explorer 8.0 or Microsoft MSN Explorer 9.0

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"William J. Burlingame" wrote:

| The Microsoft Fingerprint Reader seems to work with only the IE
| browser. Should I be surprised? Is it true or is there something I can
| do to make it work with Mozilla? It works on the other API's I have
| tried, but I haven't tested all of the ones I use as yet.

I did see those requirements in VERY small print on the package after
I opened it. It looks like MS purposely crippled to program not to
work with other browsers. I don't consider myself to be an MS basher,
but it seems that it would be in their best interest to make their HW
work with as much SW as possible. They could just say it's not
supported. After all, IE is included with the OS and Mozilla is also
free. It's not like I diverted any money from MS to Mozilla. I just
prefer tabbed browsing.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

A program that is designed to work only with internet explorer is NOT
crippled. The company is trying hard, it would seem, to greatly increase
"their" operating system security. They have no control over Mozilla - they
"do" have control over IE and can use their companies internal knowledge to
marry the two and try to increase the O/S security.

In their shoes, I believe I would do the same.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

"William J. Burlingame" <wjburl@bs.net> wrote in message
>I did see those requirements in VERY small print on the package after
> I opened it. It looks like MS purposely crippled to program not to
> work with other browsers. I don't consider myself to be an MS basher,
> but it seems that it would be in their best interest to make their HW
> work with as much SW as possible. They could just say it's not
> supported. After all, IE is included with the OS and Mozilla is also
> free. It's not like I diverted any money from MS to Mozilla. I just
> prefer tabbed browsing.

> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
> to send me a message.
>
> Bill Burlingame

It does work on some other non MS apps. They don't have control over
Quicken, but it works on that app. In fact, MS is due to release an
accounting application in competition with Quick Books. If MS was
doing something like that to assure the security of "their" OS, why
would they allow any other app to run under Windows. They allow my
Logitech mouse and keyboard to work in Mozilla. If they carried your
philosophy to the extreme, they would end up with a market share
similar to Apple and Sun. I still say it's crippled on purpose.

On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:20:42 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>A program that is designed to work only with internet explorer is NOT
>crippled. The company is trying hard, it would seem, to greatly increase
>"their" operating system security. They have no control over Mozilla - they
>"do" have control over IE and can use their companies internal knowledge to
>marry the two and try to increase the O/S security.
>
>In their shoes, I believe I would do the same.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

What I am saying is that because they KNOW IE, a lot better than they know
Mozilla, they are going to make sure it works with the one they are familiar
with - first. Maybe Mozilla will come at a latter date. You don't know and I
don't know.

And I am not going to second guess what I have no knowledge about - their
PLANS!

Yes, I believe that the finger print reader should be able work with all
apps, but if it doesn't I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.

--

> It does work on some other non MS apps. They don't have control over
> Quicken, but it works on that app. In fact, MS is due to release an
> accounting application in competition with Quick Books. If MS was
> doing something like that to assure the security of "their" OS, why
> would they allow any other app to run under Windows. They allow my
> Logitech mouse and keyboard to work in Mozilla. If they carried your
> philosophy to the extreme, they would end up with a market share
> similar to Apple and Sun. I still say it's crippled on purpose.
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:20:42 -0400, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>A program that is designed to work only with internet explorer is NOT
>>crippled. The company is trying hard, it would seem, to greatly increase
>>"their" operating system security. They have no control over Mozilla -
>>they
>>"do" have control over IE and can use their companies internal knowledge
>>marry the two and try to increase the O/S security.
>>
>>In their shoes, I believe I would do the same.

> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
> to send me a message.
>
> Bill Burlingame

Does Mozilla have a wish list. To have it work on Mozilla they would need to make the adjustment for it to accept the Fingerprint reader

--
Peter

"William J. Burlingame" <wjburl@bs.net> wrote in message news:ssnoc15cte0krko3kg14eu425h2g1sb043@4ax.com...
> It does work on some other non MS apps. They don't have control over
> Quicken, but it works on that app. In fact, MS is due to release an
> accounting application in competition with Quick Books. If MS was
> doing something like that to assure the security of "their" OS, why
> would they allow any other app to run under Windows. They allow my
> Logitech mouse and keyboard to work in Mozilla. If they carried your
> philosophy to the extreme, they would end up with a market share
> similar to Apple and Sun. I still say it's crippled on purpose.
>
> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:20:42 -0400, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >A program that is designed to work only with internet explorer is NOT
> >crippled. The company is trying hard, it would seem, to greatly increase
> >"their" operating system security. They have no control over Mozilla - they
> >"do" have control over IE and can use their companies internal knowledge to
> >marry the two and try to increase the O/S security.
> >
> >In their shoes, I believe I would do the same.

> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
> to send me a message.
>
> Bill Burlingame

dre

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

!

> What I am saying is that because they KNOW IE, a lot better than they know
> Mozilla, they are going to make sure it works with the one they are
> familiar with - first. Maybe Mozilla will come at a latter date. You don't
> know and I don't know.
>
> And I am not going to second guess what I have no knowledge about - their
> PLANS!
>
> Yes, I believe that the finger print reader should be able work with all
> apps, but if it doesn't I won't lose a wink of sleep over it.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
>
> If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>

> "William J. Burlingame" <wjburl@bs.net> wrote in message
>> It does work on some other non MS apps. They don't have control over
>> Quicken, but it works on that app. In fact, MS is due to release an
>> accounting application in competition with Quick Books. If MS was
>> doing something like that to assure the security of "their" OS, why
>> would they allow any other app to run under Windows. They allow my
>> Logitech mouse and keyboard to work in Mozilla. If they carried your
>> philosophy to the extreme, they would end up with a market share
>> similar to Apple and Sun. I still say it's crippled on purpose.
>>
>> On Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:20:42 -0400, "Richard Urban"
>> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>A program that is designed to work only with internet explorer is NOT
>>>crippled. The company is trying hard, it would seem, to greatly increase
>>>"their" operating system security. They have no control over Mozilla -
>>>they
>>>"do" have control over IE and can use their companies internal knowledge
>>>marry the two and try to increase the O/S security.
>>>
>>>In their shoes, I believe I would do the same.

>> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
>> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
>> to send me a message.
>>
>> Bill Burlingame

Does anyone know hot to use the fingerprint reader to log on to a domain? We
have three APC fingerprint readers that work just fine this way but we have
other users who got the MS reader and the fine print says you can use it to
log on to a local machine, but not a domain account. I heard there might be
a fix for this.

You cannot use a fingerprint reader to log onto a domain.
This is by design.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jim de Graff" wrote:

| Does anyone know hot to use the fingerprint reader to log on to a domain? We
| have three APC fingerprint readers that work just fine this way but we have
| other users who got the MS reader and the fine print says you can use it to
| log on to a local machine, but not a domain account. I heard there might be
| a fix for this.

It's probably because MS does not consider the device to be secure.
There is a warning on the package not to use it for protecting
sensitive information. Evidently it's possible to "fool" the device.
I'm not sure how, but I guess they do. I just use it at home for the
convenience.

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005 12:05:00 -0500, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

>You cannot use a fingerprint reader to log onto a domain.
>This is by design.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

TRENDING THREADS