Microsoft Flight: The Return of Flight Simulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I always wondered what happened to flight simulators...I love FPS as much as the next person, but there were some great simulator games - still would love to see a remake of X-Wing or TIE fighter with similar/same gameplay, but better graphics.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
hey, they make it with the upmost superb graphics and im sure that plenty of people will buy it. (just as long as the graphics can be toned down for lower end gfx cards as well)

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I'v never actually tried a flight sim. they seem far too mundane and to require a lot of time. perhaps i may take a chance with this new one though, if its a good reboot.

i would much prefer an tie fighter remake though. i prefer flying games when i can shoot at stuff....

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
i remember playing the original MS Flight Simulator on an old black and white tandy. back then it was cooler than sliced bread, iirc since it was black and white it was hard to know what terrain you were under so that when you did crash land it would either say 'crashed', or 'splashed' depending on if you crashed into land or water.

eitherway ive never been much of a flight sim guy, one of my old buds has a pilots license and he loves the game since he doesnt get a chance to go up anymore. so im glad they are keeping the title alive, im sure there is a niche market for it, just not a huge niche.

skykaptain

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Where's my combat flight sim? I want to have my dogfights with P-51's with FSX graphics, or even better, make it with F-22's instead.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
how about a fighters anthology remake??? please i would die to be able to bring a game that caliber to come out i would so buy it for me and my son!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
My father-in-law is in a holding pattern in anticipation of the release. As a former pilot who can no longer afford (nor is healthy enough) to fly, he gets incredible pleasure from the previous FS programs. Every time we visit,he "flys" me to a different airport he used to fly to. Good on MS (I am not their biggest fan) for bringing flight back to the masses.

moomooman

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I think there is a big market for this, when I supported flight sim I was dealing with everyone from kids to airline pilots, regular joes to retired pilots.

I was talking to WW2 pilots (particularly with the combat FS) who could talk about what they got right or wrong about flight models and behaviour of ww2 aircraft, right down to ground handling with force feedback enabled.

Pretty amazing talking to a guy about his experiences flying a Spitfire in the battle of britain.

Usersname

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
YAAAAWWWNNN!
Waking... "Have we landed yet?"
Adjacent passenger. "No, the landing gear folded up whilst we were sat on the runway"
Looking around..."Nice Steward"
Adjacent passenger. "Yeah. Cute bum"
To adjacent passenger."Think he's gay"
Adjacent passenger. "Probably."
Applying lipstick..."Oh, well. We girls get left with the dross"
ZZZZzzzzzzzz

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
My favorite was MS Combat Flight Sim 1. They lost something with the 2nd & 3rd of that series - 3 was so boring I barely played it. Too much time attacking ground targets, and worrying about theater strategy stuff.

An updated CFS, running on big monitors or even multiple monitors would be great. I want a LCD behind me that I have to crane my neck to see who's on my tail! Eyefinity with 3 in front for a panoramic view!

I don't have all those monitors, but it would be a good excuse :D

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
This makes me very happy. I got into flight sims during the "golden era" of the late 90's, when we had Fly!, Pro Pilot, Flight Unlimited, Flight Simulator and X-Plane at the same time. Then they died away one after the other...

X-Plane is still around and actively developed however. It's available for OSX, Windows, Linux, iOS and soon Android.

Hopefully the new version of MSFS (sorry, MSF) will feature a more up to date graphics engine, better physics (lookup tables is so 1987) and incorporate more "gameplay" in the form of lessons, challenges and adventures. I was never a fan of flying a jet on auto pilot for 10 hours straight, but I did enjoy bush flying and flying older planes without any navigational aid, just a map, ruler and stop watch. Since it will be Windows exclusive, it should be more of a serious flight simulator than a "game".

Once upon a time, there were no chickens. Something that was not a chicken laid an egg, but that egg hatched into a chicken. So, the egg came first.

Anyway, I no longer own a joystick. Hopefully this will be good enough that I'll want to buy one, but I'm not holding my breath.

emjayy

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
That's excellent news. I'm one of those who still enjoys flying real-world aircraft in FS. It's actually one of the big reasons why I still have a Windows gaming PC (I've switched to using Ubuntu for all my daily stuff, so Windows is now on very limited offline duty at my home). My gaming PC runs XP, but if MS actually releases Flight, I'd probably build a new Windows 7 gaming machine just for it.

As for game improvements, I'd LOVE to see touch incorporated into the simulator. Imagine being able to push buttons, flip switches, move that landing gear lever, apply trim etc, all by using a touchscreen. Then you could line up 3 or 4 touchscreens and use all of them as your simulated, touchable cockpit. I'm not a fan of desktop touchscreens at all. Having to stretch your arm out to navigate a desktop or scroll a page just isn't my cup of tea; I'll stick with my mouse there. But applied to a flight sim, touch would take simulation to the next level or realism. If MS applies touch to Flight, I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS