Microsoft Gives Its New Browser 'Edge' In Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

joex444

Distinguished
"which is why many developers still prefer writing C++ code"

You use the language for the job. If you only know one language then you're useless. Not everything written in C++ could be just as easily done in Java, nor vice versa.

Aaron Stackpole

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Oh god, like garbage collection written by a software developer with 30 years of experience optimizing it on systems that perform gigaflops of calculations is going to be a performance impact. Be real. lol

Aaron Stackpole

Reputable
May 12, 2015
Edge may be an "app" but that doesn't mean it isn't also Win32. Remember, they're allowing Win32 projects in the app store. They also can run fullscreen and/or windowed.
The Win32 API was gutted with Windows 8. Most of the reason Windows 8 is so much faster and a big chunk of the GPOs stopped working.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Browsers are built to ALLOW others to control your computer first, and then security band-aids are applied to try to prevent "malicious" intents from doing so. (This isn't a Microsoft thing, ALL browsers for ANY OS are made this way.)

What I like about NoScript is that it gives me some control over which of these sites I let run on my computer. I can connect to, say, Tomshardware, and shut down as many of the other 20+ servers that going to the Tomshardware site tries to connect me to as I want on an individual basis. I use Firefox (Mozilla browsers) because it is the only browser that allows NoScript to run in a fully functional way.

What I want is to

1) Know EXACTLY which sites are trying to connect to my computer (or browser) when I go to an internet address, and

2) Make the decision myself to allow or deny the connections on an individual basis.

I understand that a lot of end-users can't be bothered with that kind of control - but it should at least be possible to have it. Microsoft knows that the best way to increase security is to get the people using the computers involved in the decision about whether or not to let things run on their systems. Give us the same kind of capabilities we get with UAC when sites try to run programs in our browsers.

(For the record, I don't use NoScript to block ads per se, I use it in an attempt to control which sites are allowed to run their various software packages in my browser, and how many of them run at the same time, and to prevent Clickjacking and other kinds of attacks. I use it because it gives me a level of transparency I don't get with anything else. I should be allowed to KNOW what's going on and do something about it; preventing me from doing that leads me to believe you are doing something dishonest. This goes for everyone, not just Microsoft.)

Spazzy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
I agree with Marcus 52. I use both no script and disconnect to reduce the amount of information I am leaking via the web. When I go to a web site, I want the site I typed, not that site and the 20 paying them for information on my browsing habits. Because of these two extensions, my web pages load considerably faster as well.

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
"Hackers can nreak website certification, according to microsoft" - yeah, especially when microsoft breaks EV in their browser.

Status
Not open for further replies.