Microsoft Giving You More Time to Update to Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
**facepalm**
If you have a windows 8 /8.1 oem, reinstalling windows is hell...
M$ need to fix this up.
Updating to 8.1 makes recovery disk and recovery partition unusable.
Windows 8.1 cannot create a recovery disk only recovery usb drive....

Fix that up before shoving something down costumer's throat...

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Title is wrong. It says you have to update to Windows 8.1. Instead, as the article itself explains, you have to install "Windows 8.1 Update," an update to Windows 8.1. If you don't have Windows 8.1, you don't need the update.

**facepalm**
M$ need to fix this up.

I agree reinstalling Windows 8 is a pain, even if you create a Windows 8.1 install disk, it will not allow a legal Windows 8 serial number .

IamFinn

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
What if you bought a laptop running win 8.1 after the deadline, does that mean you cant update it? Please someone clarify this to me.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I have had nothing up ongoing issues with windows 8.1. since updating my laptop freezes a lot. So figuring it maybe something software related I reformatted it, and upgraded straight from windows 8 which my laptop came with to windows 8.1.1 thinking that may solve the issues, but I had the same issue with a fresh install going right from windows 8 to windows 8.1 to windows 8.1.1. even after installing the latest drivers. I got fed up with it and nothing on my laptops vendors website stated there were issues. So I went and grabbed an oem windows 7 home edition cd I had laying around and reformatted my laptop to windows 7 Since then I haven't had a single freeze or issue since. I'm apparently not alone as I did a google search other people have had the same freezing issues with windows 8.1 and windows 8.1.1. Just another issue ontop of the problems windows 8.x continues to have.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
What if you bought a laptop running win 8.1 after the deadline, does that mean you cant update it? Please someone clarify this to me.

no it just means you can't download any more updates until you download the windows 8.1 update 1 first.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
**facepalm**
M$ need to fix this up.

I agree reinstalling Windows 8 is a pain, even if you create a Windows 8.1 install disk, it will not allow a legal Windows 8 serial number .

yeah which is stupid that would be like you installing windows 7 sp1 from a clean installed and not allowing any original windows 7 keys.

this is because according to recent metrics half of windows 8 machines are not running windows 8.1...

which calls into question wether or not those machines are even running windows 8, and instead have had windows 8 removed or are dual booting another OS. M$ is trying to prove to critics that their windows 8 install and user base is larger then it looks on the outside by forcing "the other half" of windows 8 machines to update, in the hopes it will quiet the critisism that those are dead installs.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Windows 8
Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 update
Windows 8.1 second edition update

Microsoft = Proving incompetence at every level. (Calling it 8.2 would have been logical)

Microsoft sure makes Updating their crap harder and harder. Seriously folks, Linux is easier and faster than Windows 8.

Thank GOD I AM doing just fine humming along with Windows 7.

PS: There is little to no indication that Windows 9 is going to be like Win7.

unimatrixalpha

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Windows 8.1 is basically just a service pack to Windows 8.0 in order to fix what was already broken. Why in the world is Microsoft issuing an ultimatum that those that don't update according to their dead line? There should be no deadline at all. When a user decides to update then the security updates should continue.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Meanwhile the government still uses XP and so do I, but the XPocalypse it's on it's way eventually if there is enough dedicated hackers that feel like targeting a antiquity OS.

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
I believe that half of Windows 8.x users who are running Windows 8.0 and didn't install 8.1 are in fact not running Windows 8 at all.

charles_i

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I have an Asus Republic of Games at work and tried to update it when 8.1 was released, however it just crashed my computer. Eventually it reverted to 8 and said it was unable to complete the update. Gotta love Microsoft!

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
This problem aggravated me, never had problems installing Service Packs and ever since MS has changed the update paradigm updating has been a pain. This is pretty much like using the upgrade package. Is this Microsoft's way of telling people that they need to buy new computers? Except that won't work especially if that PC can handle the OS and you still have system resources to do what you need to to. There's just no way i am going to buy an OS just to be unable to use it, this is why i am still on W7 and plan on moving to Linux, besides the crazy UI MS tried selling and didn't work. Now updating Windows is broken, there wasn't anything wrong with Service Packs, they made Windows easy to use but now it's like using a different OS and you might as well move to a different platform because MS is slowly killing Windows, what was good with it is becoming less and less of a usable OS.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

no it just means you can't download any more updates until you download the windows 8.1 update 1 first.
Which is where the crappy "journalism" of this article cuts in. This article makes it sound like you will never be able to update the OS if you do not do it now. The simple fact of the matter is that M$ has always maintained updates for OS' that have not been deprecated. In fact, I would not be surprised if someone who had never updated XP could update it to the April 8th 2014 point and get the update to IE, too. Updates beyond that point for XP, being that it is technically end-of-life, are obviously out of the question.

bmwman91

Honorable
May 19, 2013
I updated to 8.1 and installed Update 1 on a bunch of machines, varying from 1 to 8 years old. None of them had any issues. Honestly, I don't see why anyone running Win8.1 would avoid installing the Update 1 package. It finally fixed those silly full-screen applications so that I can close them with the mouse instead of Alt+F4. Maybe I have just been super lucky or something since it looks like some people are encountering system issues after updating, but I have yet to see anyone that I know have an issue with it.

hannibal

Distinguished

The win9 is next win8... Why are you waiting for win9. It is still metro, it is still two UI system (if they don't discards desktop mode totally... Don't think so...) So you are waiting win 8.x renamed as win9... Well nothing wrong in that, but I still don't get why you think that win9 is any better than win8? The difference will be marginal.

I love how they consider Windows 8.1 a different OS. Some drivers won't work, even though they are exactly the same. I had a very fun time when I updated to 8.1 and my graphics driver was no longer supported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS