Microsoft Halting Use of the Term ''Metro''

Status
Not open for further replies.

undercovernerd6

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
actually watching all the vids and posts netbook, desktop, phone, you haters seem to not realize that this OS was recoded and designed to use less. Who doesn't want an OS to be faster, better articulated in efficiency and fragment less. Hey there look one click and your in desktop mode. Or you can run the script from techspot.com and boot into desktop. The integration and advancement from computer tab and phone needs to start with a homogeneous structure. Fuel the fire.

G

[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]Trolls waited for the last minute to threaten Microsoft with legal action[/citation]
At least the trolls threaten Microsoft before the official release of Windows 8.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
[citation][nom]ethaniel[/nom]I got it: "Kinder UI". "Look at the squares, guys! They show stuff!"[/citation]
Maybe that would bring problems with the chocolate eggs too...

rodbowler

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
If / when I have to use Windows 8, I'll be booting straight to desktop mode. Metro - or whatever they call it - is fine for a handset, and terrible for the desktop. Keep that sort of thing away from the production environment.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]undercovernerd6[/nom]actually watching all the vids and posts netbook, desktop, phone, you haters seem to not realize that this OS was recoded and designed to use less. Who doesn't want an OS to be faster, better articulated in efficiency and fragment less. Hey there look one click and your in desktop mode. Or you can run the script from techspot.com and boot into desktop. The integration and advancement from computer tab and phone needs to start with a homogeneous structure. Fuel the fire.[/citation]

Most people are well aware that W8 is less resource-intensive than W7. The thing about "desktop mode" and "metro mode" is that they're not "modes." The metro UI is an integral part of W8, and while I only tinkered around on it for a couple hours, it feels entirely alien to me compared to W7 - even the desktop. The native lack of a start menu's a lot more startling to me than I anticipated it being, and the start screen they replaced it with is (in my opinion) much less functional and easy-to-use. Menu navigation and the like is something I expected to be confusing at first, but overall it's just not as fluid or simple to me as the menu was.

Now, all that said, I'm not saying it's a bad OS - I just think Microsoft went about this in all the wrong ways. I'm not complaining either, before those accusations get thrown around - this is just my reasoning for passing up on 8 (also the fact that, iirc, Microsoft has guaranteed support for W7 for the next 8 years).

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]undercovernerd6[/nom]actually watching all the vids and posts netbook, desktop, phone, you haters seem to not realize that this OS was recoded and designed to use less. Who doesn't want an OS to be faster, better articulated in efficiency and fragment less. Hey there look one click and your in desktop mode. Or you can run the script from techspot.com and boot into desktop. The integration and advancement from computer tab and phone needs to start with a homogeneous structure. Fuel the fire.[/citation]

Except win8 is a Siamese disaster. The "Windows 8-style UI" *cough* Metro *cough* doesn't integrate with the Desktop UI AT ALL! If you open a bunch of Metro apps then switch to the desktop, they aren't in the taskbar, they're in the auto-hiding metro taskbar on the left. Go back to the start screen and open the Metro Taskbar and guess what... all the programs open in the "Desktop" aren't there. It just has the desktop. You have to launch the desktop app again THEN select the program you want to use.

The problem is that nothing in the metro side makes a lot of sense for a full-fledged PC. The interface is simplified to the point that it's a convoluted system to use (wrap your brain around that paradox). I tend to think of Metro as what the gadgets bar was supposed to do in Vista. Do you know of anyone who ever made any real use of it on a desktop system? Probably not. Granted, the Metro version is superior (having the ability to take 1/3 or 2/3 of the screen and a better interface), but it still doesn't replace the desktop from a usability perspective.

Windows 8 would have been better served if they used the same OS but with the ability to optimize it for the platform it will run on. What works on a touch screen tablet doesn't work on a M&K Desktop. What works on a 10" screen doesn't work on a 26" screen (the inverse being true as well). You can have the underlying system stay the same, but the UI has to work well for the platform.

Improvements for Win8:
- Make the desktop the primary base of operations. Make METRO a quasi-full screen window that doesn't cover the taskbar.
- INTEGRATE the Metro and Desktop taskbars.
- Come up with some kind of competition to OSX's Expose. Even Ubuntu's fledgling "Unity" has this ability... get with it.
- Make full version the default apps, not metro versions. (Why the F$%# does the metro IE open as default!?)
- Move the Metro taskbar hot corner to the bottom left and don't cover the desktop taskbar... or just switch the desktop taskbar with a metro version with a visual distinction.
- Make SHUTTING DOWN less complicated.

- There are more, but this comment is already far too long. You guys get the idea. This is NOT the way to homogenize your OS. This is the way to water down your most successful product in an effort to gain relevance in an emerging market, and it will only harm both.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Metro is used as a prefix in a lot of things. why don't they just call it MetroUI ?

they can't get sued over using a coined word.

dameon51

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
They should of had this branding figured out a long time ago. Everyone is calling it Metro already, and launch is right around the corner. This is a good example of why Apple is branded as cool and even though MS has great products its branded as WTF IS GOING ON!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
This is stupid. Metro is a generic name. What about metro trains? Metro style clothes, etc. the new names they are throwing out makes little to no sense. Of course Win8 has win8 style UI. Do we call windows 7 the "win7ui"???

Sounds like a lot of bull. And besides, metro-ag whatever has no meaning in the USA.

samspartan

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
Yes, the UI, now formerly known as Metro, is annoying, but it's avoidable. I've used Windows 95 through 7, Ubuntu, Slitaz, Mint, DSLinux, and OSx Lion (unfortunately). I prefer Linux, but Windows has DirectX. Windows 8 is just windows 7 with tablet support, virtualization, and sync with the "cloud".

I've forced myself to use Windows 8 as a main OS for over a month now because I will probably be able to get windows 7 free through DreamSpark before the Release Preview runs out, and I'd like to save $140.

I have found that with not much effort, the "Metro" apps can be removed from the start menu completely, and "normal" apps can replace them. One metro app I've found to be quite nice is the Hotmail app. To check my email all i do is press the windows button on my keyboard and click the mail app. Other nice additions are the integrated Virtualization/Hyper Visor, integrated image mounting, better integrated archive management, VERY fast boot time on an HDD. The task manager is a little better, but I still prefer other programs. The right click function for apps in the task bar has improved and I like it quite a bit.

My favorite parts of Windows 8 are the searching and the sync between different computers. Searching involves tapping the windows button then typing, and its full screen and incredibly fast. As for syncing, your Live/Hotmail account can be used as an account for the OS, so as soon as I log in on my laptop, Everything except for specific hardware settings and desktop shortcuts are the same. This combined with google chrome's sync turned out to be awesome, even though I really didn't care.

Will I upgrade to windows 8 when it releases? No, but I "might" after all the bugs are fixed if it's cheap, which it won't be.

Windows 8 is just Windows 7 service pack 2 with tablet support. I don't understand the hate. The new UI is very easy to ignore, and can easily be used to your advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.