Microsoft Hands Out 5000 Win 8 Tablets to Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Ah, finally proper tablets arrive. THAT can replace my netbook, if the battery life is any good (though the price must be way more than for a netbook), while iOS and Android (no matter how much I like Android) toys will NEVER do that for me. I don't want to migrate from the programs (not crApps, PROGRAMS) that I use in Windows.

G

@silverblue
you never noticed the EEE Slate, been around for over half a year now

@amk-aka-phantom
not even close to a netbook, imagine an i5 laptop without a keyboard and your closer to the mark, and considering it's an i5 sandy bridge laptop it's prices relatively reasonable actually

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Not really been that clued up on the more powerful tablets; I hope devices like this can push the iPad etc. into the "budget tablet" segment. (Apple WON'T like that :p ) Might actually do Apple some good to design a power version of the iPad for this sort of thing.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Clever move, sure they all cost quite abit but considering that dev's are one of the critical components of success in the os wars, this will be well worth it in the end!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
@silverblue
you never noticed the EEE Slate, been around for over half a year now

@amk-aka-phantom
not even close to a netbook, imagine an i5 laptop without a keyboard and your closer to the mark, and considering it's an i5 sandy bridge laptop it's prices relatively reasonable actually

+1 on the Eee Slate comment, somehow people keep forgetting about it... wait, not "somehow", it's the price of the damn thing, but at least it exists.

It HAS a keyboard. Don't you see a part of the dock on the photo?

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
No need for the personal attacks. In any case, there's a market for these sorts of devices regardless of how much you might dislike them or people who express an interest in them.

@Wish I Was Wealthy's profile

Ok, hating tablet made by certain company which is under power and cannot do many task due to limited software available is one thing. But come on! I mean how can you hate a full window os tablet with i5. It is basically a proper laptop with the touch screen replacing the keyboard (which can be added by attachment).

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Take a look at the whole list of his messages and that will answer your question.

EDIT: You can edit your messages (as long as you view the comments on the forum).

G

Apparently the MS tablet department just got thawed after spending the last two+ years cryogenically frozen. That's the only plausible explanation *I* can think up for their, "Hey, let's make a tablet JUST LIKE ALL THE OTHER ONES NOBODY BOUGHT FOR THE LAST DECADE!" approach...

summitflier

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Sorry Microsoft, I'm out. No Windows8 here ever. Mac or Linux maybe, maybe even Win7 for a long time. But cloud based apps? Nope. Everything is online? Not for me? Closed system again? No control panels, no browser plugins? No command line? Everything is fee based. "Pay per view". Want to use office 2012, no problem, it's in the cloud, but it'll cost you. Want to read your email? It's in the cloud, it'll cost you. Thanks, but I'll just keep my own stuff local thank you.

G

@amk-aka-phantom

"It HAS a keyboard. Don't you see a part of the dock on the photo?"

lol, and in the same vein it also has a 42" flatscreen TV, thats not a keyboard it's an accessory ;p now if you had some way to stow the keyboard on the tablet that's a different kettle of fish (as well as self defeating)

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
I tried windows 8, the developer preview, yesterday on my desktop and lets just say it was kind of difficult to use, I really hope that ther come out with a version that is more oreinted for desktops. If not then I do not think it is worth my money unless if I am willing to buy a tablet, which I may consider now that they can actually run full desktop programs. :)

coldtortilla

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2010
[citation][nom]dane123[/nom]i5=yes; battery life=no[/citation]
I am pretty sure that it's an ultra low voltage processor or else I would agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS