Microsoft Has Sold 100 Million Windows 8 Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
and how many are sitting in warehouses unsold by the OEMs? how many have been uninstalled and replaced with win7?

just because MS sold 100m licenses to the OEMs doesn't mean it's actually being used in end products, there still needs to be consumers to buy and use it.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
number of windows 8 licenses sold is a very different thing than number of windows 8 activations.
i suspect that a good chunk of laptops pre-installed with 8 are downgraded to 7, and much of the rest would have been 7 if the customer had that option.

Tom has something against windows 8 or something. Windows 8 is selling just as fast as windows 7 was in the same time period. I don't know where you got the idea that they were worried that windows 8 hasn't taken off yet. This is just biased.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
You guys are missing the biggest point of all, their counting all the PC's they are selling with it pre installed. That's the only way they can sell it, nobody is buying it to replace Windows 7. And they are forcing you to buy it cause they have completely removed windows 7 off the store shelves.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
@esrever
I think most tech enthusiasts hate on windows 8. Cant see how they are counting windows RT though, i mean surely that should be classed as a different OS

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
inb4 (and after, apparently) flood of HERP DERP WIN8 BAD posts.
Seriously, set photos to open in the photo viewer instead of the app, as well as your choice of video player for videos, and once you get past the start menu it's the same damn experience.
I've been using it for months and I honestly don't know why everybody is whining and moaning about how different and hard windows 8 is.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Don't try to say anything good about Windows 8 or you'll be swarmed by biased idiots. It has its faults, as everything does, but it's also better than 7 in a lot of ways. Outside of that start menu stuff, I've not run into a single issue with Windows 8. Hell, and I've even gotten used to not having the start menu, honestly.

Stimpack

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

I think it's the exact opposite. I think most people hating on Windows 8 are people who have little understanding of their computer.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
How many of those "licenses sold" are on computers that are just sitting on store shelves? I have yet to see a copy of win8 running "in the wild" yet, besides my own test computer that was running it....

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011

This, a hundred times.
I have a lot of trouble holding back reading through most of Tom's readers' comments.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Microsoft forces the computer manufacturers to sell the new OS. This is not a free market choice. This is how communists and facists control people. You can have the freedom to abort your baby, but you are not allowed to select which OS you want to buy.

ceh4702

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Microsoft forces the computer manufacturers to sell the new OS. This is not a free market choice. This is how communists and facists control people. You can have the freedom to abort your baby, but you are not allowed to select which OS you want to buy.

senkasaw

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
Wow. This isn't controversial at all...
All I know is: I have (4) windows 7 machines, (2) windows8 machines, (2) linux(diff distros) machines, and one osx machine. And if I had to get rid of one of the os's...it'd be osx. :p

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
For those that "think" 8 is "just like" 7 - try supporting 200+ people in an work environment. You'll change your mind in about 30 seconds. And it's not like it's just "learning" where they put the stuff, because it's in a different location (from XP > 7, which most of the moves actually made sense!). The changes they made to the GUI are STUPID. (And all of us Alpha and Beta testers TOLD them that many times).

The sad fact is they could've kept the NEW guts of 8, and made it much easier to work with by keeping the Start menu in. And I'm sick of hearing "just install blah, blah to get it back" - exCUSE me? I have to "install" something to get the SAME functionality as the old version had from the first install?

And if I want to play a DVD - I have to BUY more software? for something that was FREE in XP and Vista AND 7??

fleeb

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2007

I am with you here. I mean, I want to buy an iMac with Ubuntu preinstalled but I do not have the freedom to choose.

I talk to mfrs about Windows 8 and they say its been a disaster. Do to their license agreements with MS they are forced to buy a certain volume of Windows 8. Otherwise they would not buy more then 20% of what they are forced to buy. In the 3 months after Windows Vista came out I sold close to 100 copies. In the 1st 3 months that Windows 7 came out I sold about 300 copies. In the 1st 6 months that Windows 8 came out I've sold 4 copies, 4! This Windows release has been a disaster and why Steve still has his job is huge Mystery. The man needs to go and soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.