Microsoft Has Sold 300 Million Windows 7 Licences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Definitely liking Windows 7 so far. I just hope Windows 8 doesn't come out too soon. One of the things I really liked about Windows XP is that it lasted me a good 6-7 years before I had to even think about dishing out more money for a newer operating system.

Although if they made the Windows 7 -> 8 upgrade cost around $30... then I say bring on the Windows 8.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Win 7 forced people to upgrade their computers but with vista they expected to use the same old xp pc. Still 7 is way better

maziar321

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Well, think of it this way. Windows had 80% market share. The best version yet only has 20% market share. I don't think this is an accomplishment.

existencenow

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]maziar321[/nom]Well, think of it this way. Windows had 80% market share. The best version yet only has 20% market share. I don't think this is an accomplishment.[/citation]
What your missing when you read this is that, 20% of the computers connected to the net are running on specifically WIN 7. That is quite profound if you take in the true capactity of the internet's attendance. All of that attendance allocate to ONE Variation of an operating system is impressive at the least.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Besides people like myself, like the readers of Toms, that build or upgrade their own computers, most people just buy entire new computers. You buy a laptop, you get Win 7. You had and xp desktop, it had some issues, so you buy a new computer with Win 7. If you had an eMachines from 5 years ago (and by some miracle the PSU didn't croak until last week) you just buy a new one. To most users, it seems more effective to just buy a new one. The computer servicing industry isn't really the service industry of the future. So I'm glad Windows 7 is selling well. It is an excellent product. But people aren't really buying retail packages, they're just buying new units. The Windows license adds a considerable amount of cash to a new build when you roll your own. Microsoft should do two things concerning Windows; 1) drop the different versions. the Mac OS is just the Mac OS, not Mac OS home, pro, or ultimate. Make one good version of Windows 8, not three tiers. 2) Make a more attempts to reach out to the enthusiast market with deals on the OS. The system builder deals are a good start, but I don't think MS cares. Charge us less, and charge Dell more.

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Most companies haven't switched from XP, it works, everything supports it and that's roughly 19% of the world's computers. I doubt that it'll change anytime soon. Until then 96% (according from intel) win7 sold are for personal computers.

Oh and 99% of statistics are made up.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
That's just sold licenses. I believe there's even more copies of Windows 7 working right now. Don't forget, the thing's incredibly easy to, (ehem), "activate". Actually, you don't even need to do that, if you can tolerate reinstalling every four months, because rearming the OS is, well, legal.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
300 million is piss in the ocean compared to what Apple sales numbers across their product lines ... given that Microsoft is dead in the water when it comes to hardware.

Tom's just refuses to publish the quarterly revenue of Apple vs. Microsoft ... I know it hurts Tom's to see Apple crushing Microsoft financially.

slycraft

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]300 million is piss in the ocean compared to what Apple sales numbers across their product lines ... given that Microsoft is dead in the water when it comes to hardware.Tom's just refuses to publish the quarterly revenue of Apple vs. Microsoft ... I know it hurts Tom's to see Apple crushing Microsoft financially.[/citation]

Why don't you post it for us with valid references...I'm actually quite curious about your claim.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
@ V8VENOM,
Thank you. That's the best laugh I've had all day. Not at your statement... for all I know it's true. At your pure, unadulterated fanboyism. Congrats.

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]300 million is piss in the ocean compared to what Apple sales numbers across their product lines ... given that Microsoft is dead in the water when it comes to hardware.Tom's just refuses to publish the quarterly revenue of Apple vs. Microsoft ... I know it hurts Tom's to see Apple crushing Microsoft financially.[/citation]
Go to the Cult of Mac. Even they are honestly reporting the stats. I believe 11% is Apple's most recent market share.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Since when does quarterly mean anything? How about annual figures 2010?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Inc.
Microsoft did $62.4 billion revenue and $18.7 billion profit
Apple did $65.2 billion revenue and $14 billion profit
So Microsoft took less revenue but got more profit

Hardly "piss in the ocean" as you call it, my professional opinion is that you are an idiot

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006

Are you high? your going to compare the sales of just a single thing MS sells their OS to EVERYTHING apple sells. Are you high? lets compare OS to OS sales? yeah i know waste of time because apple has what no market share? go compare another orange to that apple.

endgadget

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011
I must admit, I loved it when lazy oems released Vista desktops with 512Mb back in the day and... MS got the flack :)
"Vista runs really slow".. could be due to lack of ram!
"Vista uses all my memory".. Yeah, that could be due to CACHING and using it instead of it sitting there doing nothing
"Vista takes ages".. Could be due to the 5400rpm laptop drive and 74 services, 6 from iTunes alone.

Ahhh, Microsoft, being blamed for others stupidity for years :)

P.s. Still can't post with Opera

endgadget

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2011

Hah haa haaa haa (Falls off chair). Please, come back to the forum and comment on all the replies above :)

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
I only use Win7 for entertainment, Linux for all else. Yesterday I was watching a flash video from comedy central. The flash crashed, and a second later... I got the blue screen !!!!

Now is that common for every day Win7 users ?

I do have to admit I squeezed Win7 in a 15GB SSD partition, but I did the same with Linux and I have a gig left. With Win7 it barely fits.

To the point... 300 million sounds nice.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Really hope they'll improve battery management with windows 8 by giving us a friendly UI to closing unneeded services or whatever, since battery life in os x is about 1.5-2 times better than that of windows 7 =/

Then again it might be cuz of better security protocols / wider compatibility of windows 7. Still sux tho

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I only use Win7 for entertainment, Linux for all else. Yesterday I was watching a flash video from comedy central. The flash crashed, and a second later... I got the blue screen !!!!Now is that common for every day Win7 users ?I do have to admit I squeezed Win7 in a 15GB SSD partition, but I did the same with Linux and I have a gig left. With Win7 it barely fits.To the point... 300 million sounds nice.[/citation]

Well, no BSODS for me in ages in any desktop / notebook me and my family owns. Unless I try push my desktop too far in ocing :p but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.