Microsoft Has Sold 60 Million Windows 8 Licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
as much as everybody on toms likes to parrot everybody else on toms, Win8 isn't a bad OS and, at it's core, is very similar to seven. It makes no sense how some minor tweaks, some enchancements under the hood, metro and a new name and all of a sudden oh it sucks so bad.

I've been using it on my work pc since launch and encounter something that's different between 7 and 8 maybe twice a day. Other than that it boots faster, runs very similarly and the graphs for data movement speeds and the fleshed out task manager are much nicer than the same old same old that have been present since NT.

ccovemaker

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
It's 7, with fast boot times, built in AV, account syncing bit and other minor tweaks.

Oh and Metro which you are totally fine with as a desktop user once you use it more than a week.

Considering what I paid for 7 the $40 for 8 is a deal.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Also... The comments people make in the negative about 'This isn't sales figures, it's just figures from OEMs'. So what? Microsoft doesn't care where the money comes from. They are just happy that the OS has sold the licences in the first place.
WP8 still isn't quite there but in a years time I can see MS being in a very, very strong position...

For what I paid it was a very good deal as long as you use Start8 to restore the start menu.

40$ Windows 8
5$ Start 8

So it's basically a faster Windows 7 in the end for half the price. Metro and the lack of Start Menu were the only real disadvantages to Windows 8. I have not had a single game or program not work, so I'm happy in the end.

ssd_pro

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
If the number is comparable to 7, fine. Even that new DoD contract is pretty impressive.

8 really is 7 with a few features added and a few features limited. In the end, "Metro/Modern" is still cumbersome. It takes a long time to get it working and the transition between "Metro/Modern" and Desktop is not seamless and gives the sense of desperation. The UI isn't really the biggest failure though, it is the activation scheme. If you change your HDD/SSD, it creates problems. Try changing the video card in an upgrade version... major failure. Apple-style lockdown.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
just to educate you readers:

Microsoft has "sold" x Million, let's say 60 for propaganda sake. to Distributors in the channel.

less than .01% of this 60 million, has actually been sold to any customer with entrepreneurial spirit, as Windows 7 is still outselling Win8, by a ration of at least 1,000,000 : 1

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
1,000,000 : 1 eh? Could you talk more out of your arse please? Thousands of computers are sold each day and they ALL have Win 8 pre installed on them now.

[citation][nom]internetlad[/nom]as much as everybody on toms likes to parrot everybody else on toms, Win8 isn't a bad OS and, at it's core, is very similar to seven. It makes no sense how some minor tweaks, some enchancements under the hood, metro and a new name and all of a sudden oh it sucks so bad.I've been using it on my work pc since launch and encounter something that's different between 7 and 8 maybe twice a day. Other than that it boots faster, runs very similarly and the graphs for data movement speeds and the fleshed out task manager are much nicer than the same old same old that have been present since NT.[/citation]
When it comes down to it, people are just ignorant and they hate change. To be honest I did not like win8 for the first few weeks I used it as the first beta... But, as with anything, it takes ~1 month to give something a fair shake, and after that first 2-3 weeks when I finally caught the workflow they were aiming at I really fell in love with it. As you said, the desktop and all of the power features are just like win7 with some pretty nice improvements, nobody should complain about that.
As for Metro, it will get better as the App environment gets better. People think of Metro as a program, or addition to Windows, which is overthinking it a bit. Think of metro as a framework which ties different programs together. A common search engine can search within each metro app. Metro apps themselves can share resources and data between eachother, even if they were not specifically designed to work directly with each other. When you realize how it is supposed to work, it is actually kinda neat. Not too good for work stuff... but that is what the desktop is still there for. I think when (or if) we start seeing apps that utilize the Metro platform rather than trying to be stand-alone applications, then metro will click with people, and we may see some really neat and innovative stuff come from it.

People can say what they will about win8 sales figures, but the fact is that the OEMs who purchased win8 are not morons who have no business sense. OEMs only buy the stuff that they think they need, and they thought they needed 60Mill copies of win8 to put on machines, so they bought it. No matter how you slice it those 60mill copies actually count.

Give it a year for hardware manufacturers to integrate touch, kinnect, or leap-motion interfaces into things then I think a lot more people will like using it. Right now it is a touch oriented OS (or at least Metro is), and it is being put into machines that are still centered around the win7 design philosophy.

Personally I don't have any kind of touch interface on my rig, and I love win8 on it.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
I have been running Win 8 without problems. I see the Metro Interface about once a day on average. There have been times I have found it very useful. It is excellent for locating obscure programs for one thing. I see Metro as a souped up Start Menu. Once you have customized Win 8 to your tastes it does very well. It is here it works and its stable.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
It doesn't look too good for Microsoft, when the first thing underneath "Related Stories" is that Microsoft sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses in 1 month. It's only 60 million now? Hmmmm, not good.

Let's be real, most of the people posting here are twits who paid for an annoying OS, but don't want to admit they were fools.

Windows 8 blows for a desktop. It's awkward and annoying, but it is usable. Even so, there's no reason for it, except within the context of Microsoft making it easier to sell tablets and phones. Once you get used to it on the desktop, if anyone with an IQ of over 110 can without constantly being annoyed with it, then it's a very easy transition to getting a Windows based tablet or phone.

That's it. It wasn't made to improve your desktop experience, it was made to make you buy a Windows based phone. Do you wonder why it's coming out now?

Now, all you cattle who don't want to admit it's poorly designed for the desktop, just keep reading Microsoft mantra, and keep being what you are, cattle. But, don't come here posing like you've got it all figured out, and those who don't like this Tablet/Phone OS on their desktop aren't being progressive.

Some of us CAN think for ourselves, and see things for what they are. We like it that way. Some people are born to be cattle, and those that do, obviously like it that way. It's nice, if you find something you thought you didn't like about Windows 8, just read a Microsoft article on it, and you'll realize you really did like it after all. You just didn't understand your emotions the first time.

And remember, cattle, Microsoft loves you. Isn't it nice to be loved? ... and have tiles?

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I had a customer the other day, an application crashed, and played music continiously. He couldn't find the appication, he couldn't find the restart button, he was hostage to his PC until he put out the battery of the laptop.

Windows 8 are just a bad bad idea. Even worst than Vista and that's the reason:

Vista sucked back in 2007, but if you install them on a today's hardware, they are ok.
But Windows 8 suck today, and even with 2016 hardware, they will still suck, because their flaw is not hardware requirements or bugs, its flaw is the absolutely irritating user interface.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]Also... The comments people make in the negative about 'This isn't sales figures, it's just figures from OEMs'. So what? Microsoft doesn't care where the money comes from.[/citation]

Microsoft doesn't care much about Windows 8 license/upgrade money. What Microsoft does care about is to get as many people to use (the user interface formerly known as) Metro and Metro apps on as many devices as possible, to gain a foothold into the mobile market. That's the entire reason for Windows 8 being the way it is.

Windows 8 market share is around 2% now, after 2 months, which is an adoption rate slower than that of Vista, and that was with huge upgrade discounts. At the current adoption rate (0.66% gain in December, the busiest shopping month of the year by far), Microsoft will need 2 years to reach 15%, meaning the number of Metro users will be even lower (not everybody who uses Windows 8 spends time in Metro or buys apps). This is not just a failure of Windows 8, it's a debacle of Microsoft's entire (non-Xbox) consumer products strategy - Surface and other RT tablets are not selling, W8 tablets are not selling, Windows Phone is still around 3% market share (same as 12 months ago), they're getting criticized by OEMs and PC sales are projected to continue declining.

Microsoft got spooked by Apple's success with the iPad and they've drawn completely wrong conclusions. What's worse, they're not showing signs of changing course, they're instead hoping to drag their existing Windows user base into their walled garden by simple inertia. It's not going to work with me, I'm using Windows 7 until 2020 or until Microsoft comes to their senses.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
[citation][nom]SchizoFrog[/nom]Also... The comments people make in the negative about 'This isn't sales figures, it's just figures from OEMs'. So what? Microsoft doesn't care where the money comes from. They are just happy that the OS has sold the licences in the first place.WP8 still isn't quite there but in a years time I can see MS being in a very, very strong position...[/citation]

Yes, but if they continue torture clients, technology will find its way. On other words, Microsoft takes advantage of their monopoly in order to change things the way the like it, but in the end, they shouldn't get surprised if they see more people using linux. Nowadays, it even has Steam, and the office applications are more user friendly than the "visionary" office 201x versions

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]I had a customer the other day, an application crashed, and played music continiously. He couldn't find the appication, he couldn't find the restart button, he was hostage to his PC until he put out the battery of the laptop.[/citation]

That's like saying cars with a manual transmission are bad because somebody who is used to autos doesn't know how to drive them. It's not the computer nor microsoft's fault that user didn't take the time to properly learn the features of his new computer from documentation provided either by the manufacturer or with the windows 8 tutorial that shows when you start your PC for the first time.

In either case ALT+F4 would have, and always has, brought up the power menu immediately, Alternatively, CTRL+ALT+DEL would have brought up the option to access the sign in/out menu and log off from there (not as intuitive but follow the breadcrumbs)

I do agree that inside the charms menu is not the most inuitive place for the power button in windows, but I think that in this case it was a clear issue of the user not taking the time to properly learn the item they're using.

G

ta152h 01/09/2013 9:42 PM

It doesn't look too good for Microsoft, when the first thing underneath "Related Stories" is that Microsoft sold 40 million Windows 8 licenses in 1 month. It's only 60 million now? Hmmmm, not good.

Let's be real, most of the people posting here are twits who paid for an annoying OS, but don't want to admit they were fools.

Windows 8 blows for a desktop. It's awkward and annoying, but it is usable. Even so, there's no reason for it, except within the context of Microsoft making it easier to sell tablets and phones. Once you get used to it on the desktop, if anyone with an IQ of over 110 can without constantly being annoyed with it, then it's a very easy transition to getting a Windows based tablet or phone.

That's it. It wasn't made to improve your desktop experience, it was made to make you buy a Windows based phone. Do you wonder why it's coming out now?

Now, all you cattle who don't want to admit it's poorly designed for the desktop, just keep reading Microsoft mantra, and keep being what you are, cattle. But, don't come here posing like you've got it all figured out, and those who don't like this Tablet/Phone OS on their desktop aren't being progressive.

Some of us CAN think for ourselves, and see things for what they are. We like it that way. Some people are born to be cattle, and those that do, obviously like it that way. It's nice, if you find something you thought you didn't like about Windows 8, just read a Microsoft article on it, and you'll realize you really did like it after all. You just didn't understand your emotions the first time.

And remember, cattle, Microsoft loves you. Isn't it nice to be loved? ... and have tiles?

Oh, so now your name calling us that like windows 8? Then you tell us to think for ourselves? Then you tell US not to use windows 8? counter active much?

Windows 8 phone? pssh. I still use a 10 year old cellphone. It does what I want it to do. Make a phone call.

Even my 75 year old grandparents figured out windows 8 and they can't even operate a vehicle.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]I had a customer the other day, an application crashed, and played music continiously. He couldn't find the appication, he couldn't find the restart button, he was hostage to his PC until he put out the battery of the laptop. Windows 8 are just a bad bad idea. Even worst than Vista and that's the reason:Vista sucked back in 2007, but if you install them on a today's hardware, they are ok. But Windows 8 suck today, and even with 2016 hardware, they will still suck, because their flaw is not hardware requirements or bugs, its flaw is the absolutely irritating user interface.[/citation]

Which is the reason why one should remove the default apps for music, video and photos and this will not occur. Customize.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom] Let's be real, most of the people posting here are twits who paid for an annoying OS, but don't want to admit they were fools. [/citation]

So you have decided that people who in some cases been in the IT industry for decades would feel compelled to come on here and waste their time in such a manner?

People who have taken the 15 minutes to learn something new are achieving what they want with Win 8 . If you don't like it don't buy it. Its really that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.