News Microsoft Introduces Darker Sounds For Dark Mode Users

Colif

Win 11 Master
darker sound? Black Sabbath?

It might slow down startup but I remember people used to play songs at startup, that was when hdd took 2 minutes to boot, now we get people wondering how they can boot faster than 10 seconds.

darker sound? Black Sabbath?

It might slow down startup but I remember people used to play songs at startup, that was when hdd took 2 minutes to boot, now we get people wondering how they can boot faster than 10 seconds.

I remember customizing the sounds on my Mac in System 7. The various errors and beeps were replaced with Monty Python dialogue. That and Star Trek alerts.

I vaguely recall. Whenever I got an e-mail on AOL 2.0. "You got mail" was replaced with "Message for you sir". Then again it may have just been something I did for error messages. But I'm pretty sure there was a way to replace the AOL sound files.

I can't recall if there was a way to add startup sounds during boot to System 7.

Reactions: Colif

Colif

Win 11 Master
i wonder how long it take before guides are released to remove the start up noises as people will percieve them as slowing down their PC.

I wonder why they stopped having them. Its not like we haven't before, its remove a feature and 10 years later reintroduce it as new... oh wait, widgets. Nvm, carry one :)

there isn't much to windows, you have to remove features just to make a big thing about their reintroduction a few years later.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
All the sounds are basically the same 3 notes (sometimes just 2) played in a different order or slightly altered rhythm , so as to be totally meaningless and without impact. This is clearly a design by committee outcome.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I only hear them on restarts as often my speakers aren't on at startup. Its clearly for laptop users like most of the features in Windows 11 are.

I have to think about what is new in win 11 I use... I have insiders, there is nothing new I regularly use

TechLurker

Reputable
Feb 6, 2020
I'm reminded of how much I liked hearing the old start-up and shutdown sounds, even though nowadays my PCs are usually put to sleep or hibernate instead. Would be kind of neat if Dark Mode upped the bass some and changed the start-up/shutdown melody.

Reactions: deesider

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I remember customizing the sounds on my Mac in System 7. The various errors and beeps were replaced with Monty Python dialogue. That and Star Trek alerts.

I vaguely recall. Whenever I got an e-mail on AOL 2.0. "You got mail" was replaced with "Message for you sir". Then again it may have just been something I did for error messages. But I'm pretty sure there was a way to replace the AOL sound files.

I can't recall if there was a way to add startup sounds during boot to System 7.
ROFL!! Holy crap! On my Windows 9x machines I used an email client called Eudora Lite.

For incoming messages, it was a sound file that was EXACTLY this, less the sound from him falling down:

Reactions: velocityg4

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
Back in Windows 95 days it was super fun to play with all the themes and select different sounds. The startup sounds got played a lot, since most games (Doom!) had to be played in DOS.

These days I disable all system sounds, just like I keep my phone on silent :)

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oh good more things for me to turn off
i see the guides audience has arrived
i wonder how long it take before guides are released to remove the start up noises as people will perceive them as slowing down their PC.

:ROFLMAO:

So half the people want Monty Python theme (thinks about it) and other half like it how it is. Start up sound being the countdown for throwing the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch might get annoying after a while. In the days when you had 1 core to run everything on, this was excessive. Now when you can have multiple cores sitting around while one does all the boot process, why not

it seems to play after windows loads, so its not really a hindrance. Wonder how much CPU it uses, replaces startup sounds on PC with a 14 minute song...

its optional, you can turn it off.

Findecanor

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2015
ROFL!! Holy crap! On my Windows 9x machines I used an email client called Eudora Lite.

For incoming messages, it was a sound file that was EXACTLY this, less the sound from him falling down:
I once had a senior coworker that had the "TWANG - A message for you sir" clip play on every email ... and he got a lot of them.

It was so annoying that I resigned.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My son has his ringtone set to the Holy Grail theme song. 😂
i had to listen to it to see if I remembered it. I assume he only has part of it as well, no one wants a 2 minute ring tone... okay, some people do but we don't talk to them'

when I said theme before, I was thinking more along lines of a desktop theme and they probably existed back in the 1990's - all that Internet shows me is wallpapers as its too young to remember the dark ages.

D

Deleted member 14196

Yeah it’s a short version made for ringtone use. He loved the film like I do

I had Mechwarrior sounds for my Win 9x. I turn them all into ringtones and I use them now on my phone

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I once had a senior coworker that had the "TWANG - A message for you sir" clip play on every email ... and he got a lot of them.

It was so annoying that I resigned.

Hmm, was it more recently? I seem to recall the way my email was set up, it would only check once in a while on the server, and then bulk download them.

i see the guides audience has arrived

:ROFLMAO:

So half the people want Monty Python theme (thinks about it) and other half like it how it is. Start up sound being the countdown for throwing the Holy Hand grenade of Antioch might get annoying after a while. In the days when you had 1 core to run everything on, this was excessive. Now when you can have multiple cores sitting around while one does all the boot process, why not

it seems to play after windows loads, so its not really a hindrance. Wonder how much CPU it uses, replaces startup sounds on PC with a 14 minute song...

its optional, you can turn it off.

I wouldn't mind "I'm not dead" or "I feel happy" on a BSOD. Maybe a "Ni!" on UAC prompt.

I could picture how annoying "Ni!" would get on a teens phone if tied to their favorite messaging apps.

Reactions: King_V

Colif

Win 11 Master
BSOD: "Its only a scratch, I have had worse"

look, its bad enough that movie has been reduced down to YouTube videos, now its just sound bites for windows errors (though I can see that isn't new). Mind you, just sayings from the movie are enough these days. I need to watch it again, its only been... at least 20 years now.

funny how a thread about Windows sounds has moved so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Okay, I can see we will need a "whats your fav win 11 start up noise combo" thread

I guess it helps if you know where they are stored and if you can actually change/add more. Its soooo long ago that I used these things that I wouldn't know. I wonder if win 12 will reintroduce the world to screensavers since its "lets reintroduce old features as new again" season

Colif

Win 11 Master
I thought of this later

Long sounds for BSOD won't work. As well, if the system has crashed it can't stop mid crash and play a song or whatever, it has no control... so you could maybe play it at startup but its not going to sit and wait for anything long to play when its BSOD. Its probably why its so short now.

Last edited: