Microsoft Investors Want a "Turnaround" Expert for New CEO

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankInKY

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
My first reaction to Alan Mulally as MS CEO was totally dismissive. But, on second thought he might be a good fit, I don't think MS needs another tech guy, just someone committed to producing a quality product. Someone who'll try a potential product in pre-production and be willing to reject it and send the tech guys back to development. Too much crappolla has slipped past Stevio recently, hardware, software, commercials...the list goes on.
Get someone in who will stop the flow of crap and I think MS has a chance to recover.

MS has some truly brilliant software and hardware engineers in their company. afterall, they've attracted the very BEST talent for the past 2 decades or so, this only changed during the recent apple and google boom. but those talent haven't left MS yet. In a sense, you're right. MS doens't need another tech guy as CEO. they need restructuring, and they need quick product cycles/turn-around times while listening to customer feedback. They can't sit on a broken windows version and bake the next one for 5+ years like they've done in the past...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
68 is too old, they want young but also relevant, an engineer and a track record for turning a lumbering giant - only 1 name fits that bill - merge or buy Yahoo and install Marissa Mayer

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

People had no idea that "they" wanted smartphones prior to the iPhone or tablets prior to the iPad, but "they" turned out to really, really want them once they were presented. On the other hand, people will scream to the rafters that they want products made in America, but when everything was actually made in America, "they" proved that they didn't really want it and wanted cheaper foreign made goods instead.

Do you claim to know what the people want? Because it's pretty obviously often not what they say they want, *scream* they want, or even think they want. Which one do you propose to give them?

Not an excuse, and MS could benefit from new leadership, no doubt, but all of the people claiming they have some idea of what the people want - or that it's as simple as to "just give the people what they want" are taking something stupidly complicated and pretending like it's some simple dynamic they've got figured out like it was writing on the wall.

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
I'm highly skeptical of the ability of a bunch of empty suits with overgrown egos to get anything done, or even to appoint someone to get anything done. Dell had a point in taking his company private. If you want a revival, you need someone who cares about the business, not a career bureaucrat whose main ability is talking smooth.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Actually it is not difficult to see what people want in a new Windows 8 device/tablet, if you have paid attentions to most of what most of the people have said, they all boil down to these:

(1) Cheaper price. I cannot count how many times I have heard people ridicule ipad like price for Windows RT, or the ultrabook level pricing for Surface Pro. Microsoft will need to reduce the profit margin a bit as the most important factor now is to gain enough market share to have traction.

(2) Direct boot to desktop, put back the start button. Microsoft is doing one of these with 8.1, and there is no true reason not to do the other. Make the customer happy should always be #1 priority for any company, especially for something as easy to achieve as this. Let the user decide when to use the Metro UI instead of forcing them to.

Increase the install base of Windows 8 should be top priority now. With significant install base, then Microsoft can try to catch up the "service" part with Google, and "device" part with Apple later. In fact, if there is good install base of Windows 8, I am sure Google being a service company, will make sure most of their service available to Windows 8.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Anyone can do better than Balmer, just listen to what customers actually wants and then tailor it to those ideas... not the "lets see how we can milk the sheeps as much as possible and also piss on the customers while doing it!" Win8 approach that Balmer had - Now that was a suxxess....

Status
Not open for further replies.