[SOLVED] Microsoft is being difficult! How to buy a Windows upgrade for a new build

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
My dual boot Win7 Pro Win10 Home desktop is “dead”.
I want to buy an upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro and I want to install it on a new build. I also want to install Win7 using Win10s virtual capability V-60.

Incidentally, I own licensed versions with keys to Win7Pro and Win10Home and Win XP Pro and Win2000 Pro.

I called the Microsoft Dept that sells upgrades but to sell me an upgrade they keep insisting on access to my present computer, but it is not bootable.
They also implied I couldn’t buy an upgrade for a new build anyway.
I asked to speak to a supervisor, but they left me hanging on hold instead.
Why wouldn’t Microsoft sell me an upgrade without access to my present unbootable computer?
What are my options for buying an upgrade to Win10 Pro while still wanting to use Win7 Pro?
If I buy an upgrade Win10 Pro from Newegg and try to install it in a new build will it be allowed??

Solution
if you have a valid Windows 10 license;
you would have to download & install Windows 10 Home on the new system first. then login with your Microsoft account that is tied to the Windows 10 activation and verify the new system. then purchase a Windows 10 upgrade to Pro version.

some OEM Windows systems come with a license tied to the particular system, not to your user account. in this case you cannot transfer Windows to another system.

for Windows 7 dual-boot;
create a separate partition and install Windows 7 there. or use a virtual desktop OS from within Windows 10.
you would have to download & install Windows 10 Home on the new system first. then login with your Microsoft account that is tied to the Windows 10 activation and verify the new system. then purchase a Windows 10 upgrade to Pro version.

some OEM Windows systems come with a license tied to the particular system, not to your user account. in this case you cannot transfer Windows to another system.

for Windows 7 dual-boot;
create a separate partition and install Windows 7 there. or use a virtual desktop OS from within Windows 10.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
My dual boot Win7 Pro Win10 Home desktop is “dead”.
I want to buy an upgrade from Win10 Home to Win10 Pro and I want to install it on a new build. I also want to install Win7 using Win10s virtual capability V-60.

Incidentally, I own licensed versions with keys to Win7Pro and Win10Home and Win XP Pro and Win2000 Pro.

I called the Microsoft Dept that sells upgrades but to sell me an upgrade they keep insisting on access to my present computer, but it is not bootable.
They also implied I couldn’t buy an upgrade for a new build anyway.
I asked to speak to a supervisor, but they left me hanging on hold instead.
Why wouldn’t Microsoft sell me an upgrade without access to my present unbootable computer?
What are my options for buying an upgrade to Win10 Pro while still wanting to use Win7 Pro?
If I buy an upgrade Win10 Pro from Newegg and try to install it in a new build will it be allowed??
An "Upgrade" from Home to Pro would need to see the existing Home license and install up and running.
Since the PC is nonfunctional, that can't work.

Do you have a known valid license for Win 10 Home?
This exists on the broken PC?
Is that license linked to your MS account?

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009

for Windows 7 dual-boot;

THANK YOU!! Why wouldn’t the ....ing Microsoft agent tell me that??

I do have a valid Win10 license.

I would prefer to dual boot Win7 on my new build but I am told the motherboard etc will not support Win7. So I will have to use the virtual capability of Win10 Pro, and that’s the reason I need the upgrade. The mb I am buying is ASUS Z390-a with i7-9700K cpu.

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
If you do a fresh install of Win 10 pro, and enter your Win 7 pro product key, during the install, it will upgrade the product key, to win 10, for free.

That’s a very good idea. Then we won’t have to install Home first.

So if I buy an upgrade version of Windows10 Pro from, say, Newegg, and have my installer install it, Microsoft will approve the upgrade?

So if I buy an upgrade version of Windows10 Pro from, say, Newegg, and have my installer install it, Microsoft will approve the upgrade?
if you buy a new Windows 10 Pro "upgrade" package, you will probably still need to install it from within an activated Home edition.

if your WinXP serial was already used to upgrade to Win7, the XP serial is deactivated. there's a possibility the serial may still work but i would doubt it.

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
"my installer"
You're paying someone to install this for you?

i am paying someone to custom build my new computer. While I have watched a couple of YouTube videos that make a DIY build look fairly easy, I am a coward and want to make sure it’s done right. Especially the part about setting up Win10 virtual desktop. I havent a clue how to do that and I’m getting up there in age to the point I just don’t want to be bothered with ultra techie stuff. It’s easy if everything goes right, but it usually doesn’t.

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Okay, the ”last word” on this from Microsoft.
  1. Install Win10 Home on the new build.
  2. Go to Settings, etc and follow the path to upgrade.
  3. Install Win10 Pro, which takes about 5 minutes.
  4. Continue on to Win7 install for virtual desktop.

I just hope it will be legit to install Win7.

USAFRet

Titan
Okay, the ”last word” on this from Microsoft.
  1. Install Win10 Home on the new build.
  2. Go to Settings, etc and follow the path to upgrade.
  3. Install Win10 Pro, which takes about 5 minutes.
  4. Continue on to Win7 install for virtual desktop.
I just hope it will be legit to install Win7.
Yep.
As said earlier...an Upgrade to Pro needs to see a valid, currently installed Win 10 Home.