Microsoft is Confident Xbox One Won't Have Quality Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012
I only ever encountered the Red Ring of Death once, and thats having owned 3 xbox 360s at different points. Still 1-3 for one person is a pretty shit hit rate.

G

Ha I bet this won't be the case...Btw isn't new tech supposed to get thinner lighter smaller, but this Xbox one looks bigger bulkier like an old VCR whats up with that??

hasten

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2007
The games "locked" to account news (if you can call it news at this point) is a little distressing. I wonder what the effect will be on the bottom line... In the PC gaming world this is commonplace, but is justifiable with the reduced prices and common sales. I'd be amazed if MS followed a similar business model, if they even could. Consoles have always subsidized the R & D and hardware costs with accessories and licensing costs.
Has Sony announced if they are following suit? I haven't read much into the PS4 yet.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I know I'll get lots of hate for this, but I'd rather they take the steam model with an option to go completely digital. I'd see that as an advantage outweighing not being able to resell my old games. As long as they have Steam like sales.

bobjones003

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
Microsoft my be confident, but that is not saying lot. Like you would say anything else. That would be like saying are product really does not work. That will sell lot of units

G

There will be some duds. My 360 slim had E74 when I turned it on for the 1st time, but I could see production was quick when it 1st came out. My old Xbox 360 died when the slim went on sale. Conspiracy I say :p

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Over this past week I have read many articles from many different sites with interviews with different Microsoft Representatives. Every article leaves me feeling as if they are lying to me. Alot of them contradict each other. "No its not online always" "with our cloud technology we can offload processing from the system to the cloud"(IE: gotta be connected to play. I think I'm just gonna upgrade my computer and hope ps4 and xbox ports are cost effective for companies to do.

"I think the whole idea of a secondary market is important and it’ll be important in the next generation and we’ve designed [Xbox One] with that in mind from the beginning," he added.
Sure it's important which is why they are locking the content so you have to pay them a fee to transfer it to someone else so they can get a piece of every resale and lock out third party companies from being able to resell them unless they include a portion of it going directly to MS !

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Went through 3 X-Box 360's before the 4th finally took. Only one time I didn't have to pay for the full thing because it was within the stores retail return policy and a month later they were rejecting all returns due to the influx and forcing people to talk directly with Microsoft. Only problem was Microsoft didn't formally announce, or shall I say acknowledge there was a problem, until around 2009.
You can say people are hesitant and a little salty about any upcoming console based off how they treated the first adapters. I myself will wait a year and see what others say because if there is a problem history shows us Microsoft will not show sympathy.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
With such a extreme failure rate in the first 360 model I don't care what Microsoft says, I certainly am in no rush to buy one and of course Microsoft isn't going to come out and say anything different than what was just stated whether it be the truth or not.
As for the used games issue, when people buy something they become the owner of it. Now you may argue that you're not actually buying the game but rather a license to play the game, but that is still ownership of that license and that license should be able to be sold and transferred. This isn't debatable.

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
"He also revealed a little insight into the console's DRM, stating that games will be "locked" to each owners' profile. Of course, that could seriously affect the secondary used games market,..."
Forget the used game market for a moment, let's concentrate on the people with kids, or households that have multiple gamers in the house ranging from 6-90 years old. Unless you're stingy, when you buy a game, everybody in the house plays it. I haven't owned a console since the Dreamcast, but when I go to my fam's house, or friends house, everybody in the house has their own profiles, even I have one. According to Microsoft, if you buy a $60 game, the new Kinect 2.0 logs you in via facial recognition, only then can the game be played, bcuz you're there, present. If you're gone, then the kids, or everybody else in the house is screwed, and they have to buy their own $60 game if they want to play. That's great money for MS, but who wants to buy a game four times, unless they have four 360s in the house, and they all want to game at the same time.
Even logging in the traditional way, when you're at work, other people might want to play the game under their own profile, with their own settings, and achievements. But NOOOOOOO, that takes away from MS profits, and they want to consider that piracy (hint of sarcasm)

Geef

Distinguished
He also revealed a little insight into the console's DRM, stating that games will be "locked" to each owners' profile.
"You could have multiple Xbox Ones, your content is yours on every one of them, and it doesn’t require that you carry discs back and forth.
This sounds like kids are gonna need to be trading their usernames and passwords to each other to play other games. Microsoft will need to add to their manuals: Change password as soon as your done trading games with friends!

heero yuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
hardware is probably going to be good build quality
but all the extra consumer limiting crap? (must connect to the interwebs once every 24 hours must pay an additional installation fee to install a game on a second xbox etc) a lot of people will not buy it
but I predict that because publishers don't like used game sales so they will put a lot of their games on the xbox one and less on the ps4
but less people will have brought the xbox one because of this extra fee (and other things) and more will have brought the ps4

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The opinion of a PR man with biased interests on the subject is irrelevant to me. If the people who designed the slim console are behind this then why is the system so ugly and bulky? Such a design could prove good for airflow at least. I mean they obviously aren't going for aesthetic, so it has to at least be practical, right? We'll see. I give MS points at least for being honest with their restrictive console policies since I suspect Sony is doing the same more discretely, but if they can't explain what their "used games" approach is then they either don't have it figured out yet or they're hiding it on purpose. Again, why would they choose to take the bad public opinion of people assuming they can't play used games when they KNEW already this was a sticking point with gamers, unless telling you would be worse for opinions.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
The original 360 had a 90 nm CPU/GPU which was huge and generated a lot of heat created RR.
The latest 360 have a 45 nm (half the size!) and its a combine chip so much less heat and much more efficient.
As long as the engineers put a decent heatsink on the new xbox, there shouldn't be any RR in this generation...

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
The original 360 had a 90 nm CPU/GPU which was huge and generated a lot of heat created RR.
The latest 360 have a 45 nm (half the size!) and its a combine chip so much less heat and much more efficient.
As long as the engineers put a decent heatsink on the new xbox, there shouldn't be any RR in this generation...

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
"You could have multiple Xbox Ones, your content is yours on every one of them, and it doesn’t require that you carry discs back and forth. The disc becomes a means of distributing the bits back and forth but the content is locked to you."

That is the most telling statement. Consoles in my house (while for me too) are mainly for my kids and the fact that knowing a game is "locked" to a single user just wont fly. I am not buying three copies of a game because each copy is tied to one childs account. I dont think Microsoft realizes the impact of that and how it will affect market acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.