Microsoft Kinect Turns 1, Opening Up to Serious Business

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]CKKwan[/nom]Kinect used in sugeries?! What if it reads the hand movement wrongly and cut the wrong part ....[/citation]
Dude, it's for interacting with data onscreen without having to touch anything... not to actually cut someone. Read the article.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
There are a LOT of "hacks" for wii controllers, I use one for a giant white board for example. I also use it to play old games on my android tablets. Just because they haven't released an SDK or "allowed" hacking, doesn't mean it's not happening.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
I'm STILL waiting for MS to make it more useful for navigating the dashboard - it seems like a waste to not integrate it into the whole dashboard. In the least let me tell it to "POWER DOWN" when I want to shut the console off.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Yep, next iteration of the device will be exciting to see.[/citation]

Most likely, they'll increase the resolution of the images so that they'd be able to capture finer movements like finger movements or facial expressions. But think what's really lacking in the gaming industry is creativity to come up with compelling concepts other than dance central for the system.

theconsolegamer

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
"Almost one year ago, on November 4, 2010, Microsoft launched one of the most revolutionary devices on the market today – the Kinect."

Hahaha yeah, pretend the PS Eye never existed.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]"Almost one year ago, on November 4, 2010, Microsoft launched one of the most revolutionary devices on the market today – the Kinect."Hahaha yeah, pretend the PS Eye never existed.[/citation]

Lets also pretend the Kinect is actually 'revolutionary'

Intel_Hydralisk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2005
That's pretty awesome to see the reference to medical use in operating rooms. I work for a company that makes EMR software which demo'd this very feature just last month.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]Hahaha yeah, pretend the PS Eye never existed.[/citation]

So you think attaching a glowing baseball to the end of a Wii controller is more of a revolution than a computer controlled by natural movement and voice?

I would hate to live in the future of your dreams...

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]"Almost one year ago, on November 4, 2010, Microsoft launched one of the most revolutionary devices on the market today – the Kinect."Hahaha yeah, pretend the PS Eye never existed.[/citation]
The PS Eye is just a webcam, please don't confuse things.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]kinect is an invention?kinect's uses in different situations make it better tham wii's controllers. i wonder if nintendo will ever let wii controllers be hacked.[/citation]

already has been, and it can make 3d tech that beats the crap out of current tech, especially for games. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

[citation][nom]MrSphex[/nom]Lets also pretend the Kinect is actually 'revolutionary'[/citation]

it is... just not inside of games.
to a developer on a budget, or a 1 man game, they can motion capture, and they can even rough make any 3d model with the kinect,

the applications outside of games is FAR greater than anything inside of them.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So you think attaching a glowing baseball to the end of a Wii controller is more of a revolution than a computer controlled by natural movement and voice? I would hate to live in the future of your dreams...[/citation]

in the purpose of gaming, the ps3 move is FAR better than the wii, which puts the camera in your hand. it also allows you to use 2 motion tracking devices for 1 player, apposed to using 2, and i am assuming that its also cheaper, on top of having more in game functions. the problem is, people look at it as a ball of light on top of a wii controller without understanding why. let me ask this, besides a wii mote controller like shame, what other shapes are there for a motion controller? there are 2 answers, there are none currently, which is true, and there are no practical other shapes that conform to any game, which is also true.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]theconsolegamer[/nom]Hahaha yeah, pretend the PS Eye never existed.[/citation]
No one is pretending it never existed.
The same way no one pretends the horse & cart never existed even though we now have motor cars.
We should tell everyone about the PS Eye, if only to remind everyone how far technology has advanced since then.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]MrSphex[/nom]Lets also pretend the Kinect is actually 'revolutionary'[/citation]

It's always funny reading comments from idiot haters that have no idea what they're talking about. Kinect captures your entire body in 3D. The Wii and the Eyetoy don't do anything close to this.

You know when you watch those "making of" videos and the dudes are doing motion capture work? They wear the black spandex suits with the little white spots all over, and then use expensive arrays of cameras fed into a computer to mo-cap. Kinect does the exact same thing as that without the suit and video array. It's on a whole other level.

At least learn before you run your mouth.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]It's always funny reading comments from idiot haters that have no idea what they're talking about. Kinect captures your entire body in 3D. The Wii and the Eyetoy don't do anything close to this.You know when you watch those "making of" videos and the dudes are doing motion capture work? They wear the black spandex suits with the little white spots all over, and then use expensive arrays of cameras fed into a computer to mo-cap. Kinect does the exact same thing as that without the suit and video array. It's on a whole other level.At least learn before you run your mouth.[/citation]

no... it doesn't... i forget what the kinect uses, infra red or something, shoots out the crap, figures out how far crap is away from it.

i believe it than tries to find the human body, and aproxamate where everything is, and it does it to a very great degree of accuracy. and it also guesses when it cant see where your hand is.

if someone wrote the software, you could get 2 or 4 of these, and have a pretty decent mocap area, it wont be as good as a pro one, but it also only cost you 600$+ software.

take a look at the tech behind the kinect.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]the problem is, people look at it as a ball of light on top of a wii controller without understanding why. let me ask this, besides a wii mote controller like shame, what other shapes are there for a motion controller? there are 2 answers, there are none currently, which is true, and there are no practical other shapes that conform to any game, which is also true.[/citation]The problem is, people actually know that it's a ball on top of a WiiMote and understand why.

G

check out http://wyliefishing.com/blog/, up to date fishing reports, temp and visibility data, photo gallery and a blog that is updated daily.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]no... it doesn't... i forget what the kinect uses, infra red or something, shoots out the crap, figures out how far crap is away from it. i believe it than tries to find the human body, and aproxamate where everything is, and it does it to a very great degree of accuracy. and it also guesses when it cant see where your hand is. if someone wrote the software, you could get 2 or 4 of these, and have a pretty decent mocap area, it wont be as good as a pro one, but it also only cost you 600$+ software.take a look at the tech behind the kinect.[/citation]

LOL wut? You just said I'm wrong, then go on to "correct" me with the same thing I said. Brilliant!

DawnTreader

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2009
I tried the Kinect out at a bestbuy the other day. i must say it was impressive but flawed. my actions were not carried out well. but it was interesting to see it does work for navigation. the game might have been at fault as well, but i think that it is not refined enough to do serious gaming with.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]LOL wut? You just said I'm wrong, then go on to "correct" me with the same thing I said. Brilliant![/citation]

its hard to explain...

mo cap, the way it works is useing specialty cameras that track balls,
kinect, the way it works is shooting out 1000's of dots and reading distance.

software on the kinect side, possibly hardware, im not sure, finds a human form, and attaches a rudimentary skeleton to it, but thats not all it can do. take an object, you could scan it into 3d.

mo cap, it tracks the balls, and thats where the skeleton goes.

im not sure if i made more sense this time. the way you made it sound was that it just tracks the human body without the balls, when it does a crap ton more than that.

mrsphex

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
[citation][nom]jkflipflop98[/nom]It's always funny reading comments from idiot haters that have no idea what they're talking about. Kinect captures your entire body in 3D. The Wii and the Eyetoy don't do anything close to this.You know when you watch those "making of" videos and the dudes are doing motion capture work? They wear the black spandex suits with the little white spots all over, and then use expensive arrays of cameras fed into a computer to mo-cap. Kinect does the exact same thing as that without the suit and video array. It's on a whole other level.At least learn before you run your mouth.[/citation]

I will admit, I am a hater for xbox/Kinect.
I just find that Kinect would be a better peripheral (excuse me if that is spelled incorrectly) if it wasn't initially launched for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.