Microsoft Knocks $100 Off Surface 2 Price

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

"In a giving mood"? More like they can't sell any. Who buys this stuff?

Windows RT is dead. Windows Surface is dead. Show me the selling statistics, Chromebook vs Surface vs Macbook. I'd like to see the evolution over time.

The Surface RT line is too expensive and has a lack of apps. The Surface Pro line is awesome on the other hand, and most people seem to love them. Pricing is their biggest problem at the moment for their Surface line.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Microsoft needs to sell these at a fire sale and then bury it. The Surface Pro 3 is a very nice improvement and it will do well.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I can get a 32 GB tablet that runs FULL windows 8 for the same price! It baffles me that MS expects ANYONE to buy these things...

Heck, you can get a 32GB full Windows 8 tablet (8" mind you) 2GB ram, and a Z3740 processor, 1280X800 IPS for $157 right now.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I love my Surface RT, at least we can get one supporter in this section. How many people actually own one or used it extensively who calls it crap? I don't want or need full windows on my tablet, I already have a ton of computers, I just want to surf the web, the RT is quick and the battery is great.

The Surface 2 really is a good, responsive tablet that function more like a laptop than a tablet. It has Office included. These things really are solid laptop replacements if you pay the additional $120 for a keyboard. At that point, though, it's hard to justify this over a $300 laptop other than for the touch and convenience of the small size. They definitely aren't junk though. I think the initial high-priced strategy and going toe-to-toe with the well-established iPad was not good for Microsoft.

Imagine if Microsoft released these things initially for $250 or $300 with Office and a keyboard included. I think this is where they should have started in order to get some market penetration.

Tried to use Windows RT at our office, but turns out it does not support Silverlight plugin, required for some work related stuff. Really did not expect a Microsoft tablet to not have support for a Microsoft plugin. It's like they tried to shoot themselves in the foot, sabotaging their own platform.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008

I got the type 2 keyboard refurbished (like new) for $60

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
I've had one of these for a few months now and I really do not like it. The touch screen was very difficult to use when in applications so I had to buy usb mouse. The track pad on the keyboard is very small so this is difficult as well. You are limited to microsoft store applications which apparently was not supported by my office printer so that does not work. I do like its light weight, battery time and the bundled applications which were enough to entice the purchase. In the end I should have picked up the pro version or an inexpensive lap top. My fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.