Microsoft Launches Anti-Google Campaign With Video Jab

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
A company releases negative advertising against it's competition. No kidding? Google competes with Microsoft now on several fronts, OS, mobile OS, browser, search engine.

Even the statement they're making is their oldest and most functional method of keeping customers. "Don't use the other guys, you already know us!" Not anything about how they're better in any way, just more familiar.

G

Interesting video from company that changed interface radically from Office 2003 to 2007.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Nothing to see here, just your ordinary corporate barking through the fence at the other company, you can move along now, life is more interesting than this, ... really!

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
[citation][nom]DeFrag[/nom]Interesting video from company that changed interface radically from Office 2003 to 2007.[/citation]

agreed... i know many people who have struggled in our office when we went from 03 to 10

i always think negative advertising is funny.... if your product is so much better, it should be clear it is and u dont need to point out the negatives of your competation (ie Mac vs PC ads from back in the day)

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
I am no fan of Microsoft or Google, but believe that The Church iCrap and its dumbed-down clueless conscripts are hell for technology. Any competition between Google and Microsoft is good for the consumer because these two companies have a positive approach to technology and are likely not to undermine the freedom of choice. But when Apple thrives we all suffer because Apple is about deceit, hoodwinking, jailing, drm infestation and the like. So I like seeing Microsoft making fun of Google and vise-versa.

G

No need to make commercials like this. Companies still know that the internet is still not safe. They are smart enough to know that. Much better to keep all your important data safe in your own backyard than on the cloud. Much easier to manage and backup. And so much faster too (in Gigabits). Even now online accounts get infiltrated, why not the cloud?

I'm a programmer. And why would I convert all my software to support Google. That will take up 75% of all softwares on the world. Not cost effective enough.

Probably Microsoft thinks a lot of companies are already being mislead by Google. A little commercial won't hurt.

casperstouch

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
So, Microsoft changes their entire menu to a ribbon, that is awful. Google comes up with online apps that make it easier for those not wanting the ribbon. Then makes an add stating that Google Apps changes the way their program works. Kind of self inflicted pain I think.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Interesting video from company that changed interface radically from Office 2003 to 2007.
I think the point is not the interface change... because all features still remains in.

You can have hard time find it, but it's there.

I like the idea. Apps are shiny but you can't build a solid company on that.
They could change everyday.

Today GitHub is cool... they could change of policy for all document saved go automaticly push the document change on GitHub. The only problem, you have confidential document and Github is public.
It's just a fictive story (could occur if Google get hacked) but the point is perhaps Apps are cool but not enough "baked" and secure.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Microsoft needs to fire their PR guys and hire people who weren't old enough to fight in vietnam. Their marketing is archaic and the design choices they've been making are making a huge gap between the ultra-noob and business. Power users keep losing functionality for the sake of moronic simplicity, while Microsoft gears most of it's marketing attention to business.

If they want to continue to compete with Google and Apple, they need to start generating fresh ideas that actually move the company forward and stop falling back on the shear number of unit they have already sold due almost entirely to compatibility.

tygrus

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
"constantly changing and will be unfamiliar to those that have spent years using Microsoft Office" could be applied to Microsoft themselves.
I'd hate to work out how many times Microsoft has changed the UI methods, menu's, options etc. Even the API's for automation have changed causing companies to re-write apps, templates and addins they use to reduce manual tasks. MS say with each new version that it makes everyday tasks faster but it just seems to slow you down with every new version. They break some functionality/usability and then fix some of the problems they had created in the previous version and on it goes.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]DeFrag[/nom]Interesting video from company that changed interface radically from Office 2003 to 2007.[/citation]

The really interesting thing about the 2003 to 2007 transition is the move to the .docx format.
It caused a lot of pain for people with older versions of office when somebody had saved a document in the new docx format. And for people using open office it took a while before they could open the docx files too.

To my knowledge google hasn't done that with formats for their documents cloud apps.
The best thing for people around that time would actually have been to stay with google, not microsoft.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Nice to see MS going after Google. Due to privacy and security issues I'll never use Android or anything by Google other than as a search engine. The company I work for is just starting to allow iOS devices connect to the servers but will never allow anything Android based.[/citation]

That's a total myth that android somehow is vastly more insecure than the others.
If something is open source it must be really open for evil hackers, right?
Yes, but at the same time it is also open in the same way for people around the world to detect security holes and threats and patch them.

Just compare Firefox (open source) to Internet explorer (closed). Firefox is by far much more secure.
It's just one of the really big advantages of being open source. Having a lot of people around the world fixing things instead of relying on a few people at microsoft or apple doing it, not even being sure if they tell you about the problem for a long time (have happened time after time with Windows for example, with some problems being there for months).

Also, android has much more ways for a company to manage exactly what a user is allowed to do, more or less like in a real secure OS with different privileges and so on.
Google has also introduced a new bouncer feature for android market, which will prevent malware to be present.

Some interesting readingon the subject:
http://www.mobilityfeeds.com/mobility-feed/2011/12/apples-ios-is-not-more-secure-than-android-its-only-that-apple-can-be-very-opaque-google.html
http://www.zdnet.com.au/will-android-be-more-secure-than-ios-339325631.htm
http://www.androidcentral.com/android-market-security-addressed-googles-new-bouncer

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
I think this video highlights how good of Google Apps really are (or can be); if you take into account that Google "only works on them in their down time" and Microsoft sees them as a serious threat to their Office products.

darkion

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
What a stupid ad! Might as well make it an ad for Microsoft too! Worst change in was .doc to .docx, you know how much time my company spend upgrading office on its Citrix Xenapp farm! Also not to mention recoding of in house applications to recognize .docx format.

darkion

Honorable
Feb 17, 2012
[citation][nom]afrobacon[/nom]I think this video highlights how good of Google Apps really are (or can be); if you take into account that Google "only works on them in their down time" and Microsoft sees them as a serious threat to their Office products.[/citation]

@otacon72 - You got owned!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]mobrocket[/nom].... if your product is so much better, it should be clear...[/citation]
Oh yeah, it's so hard to deceive customers with megapuxels, gigahurts and multicoars, right?
And in this case it we are comparing objectively complex products, "it must be clear" my *ss...

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
i agree with littleleo... this isn't a political smear campaign... or maybe microsoft is trying to break into the political advertising market.

G

I wouldn't trust either one of these companies. Googles game plan is to dominate all of the world and host everyone on their servers, essentially a monopoly. Microsoft is threatened and wants to do the same thing, however Microsoft is a pile of shit and can't even program a decent operating system after 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.