News Microsoft launches DirectSR preview to let developers easily integrate FSR, DLSS, and XeSS upscaling into games

I’m ok with upscaling if it can look the same as native and not add input lag etc.

That said, shows you they may be starting to hit some walls with how fast they can push gpus in the mainstream since they’ve been pushing upscaling so hard.

BelowTheL1ne

Prominent
Mar 28, 2023
They have plenty of tech to increase resolution in games. Its not worth the cost to produce when they can sell the high end stuff to data centers and scale down the tech massively to consumers.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
How bout just have 1 upscaling api instead of a dozen of them? Then we'd not need to this type of SDK to try and include all of them. If Intel, AMD and Nvidia all worked on it together, just simplify the whole thing and agree on one single upscaler and be done with it.

I don't care for any of this fake frame generation, but at least this way I'd only have 1 single acronym to remember that I hate :)

Given the price of modern GPUs, it's really a necessity to extend the life of your card unless you're made of money, not to mention the boost to laptops.

I'm not a huge fan of it, moreso because even reputable tech sites harp on it as the greatest thing and claim they're able to play games at, say, 4K120 max details with ray tracing, when it's just using 60% scaling, and I think AMD and nVidia are using it as an excuse to provide less generational uplift than is possible while colluding to keep prices sky high, but it's a necessary evil.

Not that I have any great hope for it because publishers love to make stupid deals, but maybe this will mean more games simply having all 3 and that'd be nothing but good for customers.
I really wish they all stopped pushing that software upscaling crap.
Only if we also somehow banned developers from crutching on TAA. When you can't turn off TAA the algorithms at use with DLSS/FSR/XeSS can actually be an improvement in image quality.
How bout just have 1 upscaling api instead of a dozen of them? Then we'd not need to this type of SDK to try and include all of them. If Intel, AMD and Nvidia all worked on it together, just simplify the whole thing and agree on one single upscaler and be done with it.
They'd have to write an algorithm which had specific hardware paths on each different manufacturer's hardware or convince them to all make a unified piece of hardware for handling upscaling neither one of which is going to happen. Microsoft's solution is likely the smoothest solution we're going to see for the near future.
I don't care for any of this fake frame generation, but at least this way I'd only have 1 single acronym to remember that I hate :)
Upscaling and frame generation are two different things and each has their place. Frame generation is basically mandatory for higher refresh rate displays if you want to have good looking graphics as well.
I'm not a huge fan of it, moreso because even reputable tech sites harp on it as the greatest thing and claim they're able to play games at, say, 4K120 max details with ray tracing, when it's just using 60% scaling, and I think AMD and nVidia are using it as an excuse to provide less generational uplift than is possible while colluding to keep prices sky high, but it's a necessary evil.
Their marketing is certainly off the rails, but most of that has been NV talking about frame generation to sell the 40 series as being a better value compared to 30 series than it is.

This whole generation was a mess on the $/perf side outside of the 4090 for both AMD and NV. We'll see where it ends up with the forthcoming cards from all three vendors as to whether this idiocy holds or not.

Jagar123

Prominent
Dec 28, 2022
This whole generation was a mess on the $/perf side outside of the 4090 for both AMD and NV. We'll see where it ends up with the forthcoming cards from all three vendors as to whether this idiocy holds or not.
I have very low hopes that they correct course on pricing. I've held out long enough that I will simply not have a choice but to upgrade when next gen releases. If the new gen stuff is insanely priced then I guess I can get the last gen parts for somewhat cheaper at least.

I have very low hopes that they correct course on pricing. I've held out long enough that I will simply not have a choice but to upgrade when next gen releases. If the new gen stuff is insanely priced then I guess I can get the last gen parts for somewhat cheaper at least.
I feel much the same and that's why I picked up a 6800 XT for backup/secondary when one got down to I think it was $430 (plus the Starfield deal! :ROFLMAO: ). I have a 2060 6GB which is plenty, but the pricing made me really jaded so I bought a new card much earlier than I normally would. That being said you still can't get that level of performance for that price with anything today which I think says a lot about the poor state of the market.

I do still really hope things get better with the forthcoming generation of cards as the death of the midrange has been really frustrating to watch even if it's not where I buy.

DS426

Upstanding
May 15, 2024
How bout just have 1 upscaling api instead of a dozen of them?

They'd have to write an algorithm which had specific hardware paths on each different manufacturer's hardware or convince them to all make a unified piece of hardware for handling upscaling neither one of which is going to happen. Microsoft's solution is likely the smoothest solution we're going to see for the near future.
AMD made FSR open source from the beginning. Intel has an os version as well if I'm not mistaken. The difference is that nVidia markets their brand on DLSS as being the superior upscaling tech, so no, why would they give it away for free? To be fair, it isn't hardware-agnostic to provide its advantages, i.e. utilizes AI and tensor cores. So, putting away wishful and ultimately unrealistic thinking, the best path forward for developers and game customers alike is to have the graphics API simplify it.

As the author mentioned, hopefully Vulkan will add this feature before long as well.

ekio

Reputable
Mar 24, 2021

That’s not how tech works… Improvements come from very different ideas, made by different team working in a different way, that compete in the same arena at the end.
What you describe is how tech standard work, such as html5, then multiple companies implement the standard their own way trying to squish the best perf.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
I understand how the world works. In this case if they are all working together to make a universal adapter for all their various api's, why not just work together to make a single universal API.

I understand the economics of it and the need to be able to put your own proprietary acronym on the box, but seems like such a waste to go around the problem and not just solve the problem.

I don't personally care as none of it even shows up on my radar, but I guess it's important to some to be able to spout of acronyms n such to I guess impress someone or something??