Microsoft Launches Office 365 Home Premium, Office 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
rarely do i consider it a leap forward when i move from "owning" (yes, i know i'm purchasing the license) something on my laptop/pc, to renting (leasing) it in perpetuity.

meluvcookies

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
[citation][nom]palladin9479[/nom]Blatant money grab, mostly towards OEM's who will offer "1~6 months free Office 365" as part of their baseline. Personally I use OpenOffice, get "All the Above" for free.[/citation]

Here Here! I think this is symptomatic of a much larger shift in the software industry in general (to included the gaming industry). It's one more way of removing any real control over the product from the hands of the consumer. We're on a slow creep toward a rude awakening when we suddenly find ourselves saying "what did i just pay for?" and not honestly be able to answer ourselves.

I don't expect to purchase an office suite on my next laptop--particularly because open office alternatives have become more than robust enough for my modest needs.

G

Other than Gaming and Photoshop/Premiere Pro, my life revolves around Linux Mint, loving 14 with KDE, libre office is all the office I need, and most others I show it to as well!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Did Microsoft pay you to say this was a great deal, or do you have a drug problem you want to share with us? Nothing else makes sense.

OpenOffice works fine for me. It's not the greatest thing in the world, but it fits my needs fine, and I can buy 4 Monster M-80s with the money I save every month.

OpenOffice + 4 Monster M-80s > Microsoft Office 365. In any language. On any planet (including dwarfs like Pluto, poor thing), on any day (except the 5th Friday of any month ending in "R").

Goes deeper then that. Take the quotes "Office Pro" price of $400 USD for the same usable license you get from the "Office 365". See the "online" version may allow you to install on five devices, but you can only use it one at a time. Most people do not do excel / access on their tablet. So @$99 USD a year it's become more expensive unless your buying a new version of office every four years. As people have mentioned their still using Office 2003 (nearly 10 years old) and some are on Office 2007 (five years). That $400 investment went a whole lot further then four years, it goes into seven and ten or more. At that time "Office 365" will have cost you $495 (5 years) $693 USD )7 years) or $990 (10 years).

That is the point behind it, MS wants everyone to switch to yearly subscription fee because it's simply more profitable. You may more over the long term.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]libre office is free, google doc is free, why bother buying this.[/citation]

Because most businesses and government facilities (schools, fire departments, etc) are used to using MS Office. Cost a pretty penny to retrain dozens, hundreds or thousands of employees to efficiently use the new software.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Nice try, but I'm not paying drastically more to actually buy it or spending far more over the next several years on subscriptions. (since I don't always upgrade to each version) Looks like I'll be sticking to 2010 then, and pirating office in the future if I can't buy it at a decent price ($150 for 3 computers, forever, is fine, but $140 for one is absurd in comparison)...

It's funny how they've been going out of their way to screw up basic things in Windows and Office lately for no reason. Can we get rid of Ballmer now? PLEASE?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Because most businesses and government facilities (schools, fire departments, etc) are used to using MS Office. Cost a pretty penny to retrain dozens, hundreds or thousands of employees to efficiently use the new software.[/citation]
Right. And this particular deal is exactly for "businesses and government facilities"... Oh wait, why is it called home premium... :D

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
So office 2010 was a 3 PC licence, but office 2013 is a single PC thing? That too for the same price...or more, actually.

great deal? lol.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
[citation][nom]ta152h[/nom]... and I can buy 4 Monster M-80s with the money I save every month...[/citation]
:) I must be getting old. I see M-80s and the first thing I think of are the "firecrackers" that would blow your hand off.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
For basic and mid-level document content, Open Office is great. But, there are MANY things Open Office does not do and many incompatibilities with Office 2007/2010 that many Enterprise level businesses still use.

Not to mention OO doesn't have Outlook.

$100/year for five licenses isn't that bad. Not free, but not bad either.

OK, so lets break it down:
In the past I spent ~$150 to get the office suite on 3 computers (2 desktops, and one laptop which I no longer have), and I would spend that money every 2 generations which comes to 6 years
$150/6/3=$8 per year per machine, that is not a bad deal, and I have never understood all of the belly aching that people have said about Office being too expensive. That is probably one of the least expensive prices on software that I have ever spent, and I use it almost every day.

So now MS is changing things up a bit:
$150 per machine to own Office 2013 Home. I now only have 2 machines, so that brings my total to ($150/6 years) $25 per machine per year... A lot more expensive, but still a justifiable purchase. Not to mention that I already have OneNote because it is a free app in Win8.

On the other hand, I have the 'opportunity' to have the entire office suite available, with the most recent version available at all times (meaning I get an automatic upgrade in 3 years), on 5 machines for $100 a year, which breaks down to $20/year per machine, which is also not a bad deal.

Only problem? I don't have 5 machines!!! I have 2. That means that I would be paying $50 per year per machine for office. That is absolutely insane considering that there are viable alternatives out there for free.

And what do I get for this?
Word, Excel, and PPT, none of which have changed much in the last 6 years.
OneNote... which I already have for free in Windows 8
Outlook, which is still garbage that I refuse to use (except when I have to at work)
Access and Publisher, which are admittedly much improved... but still not exactly something I would use often enough to consider purchasing.
20GB of skydrive, which is tempting... but my understanding is that it is 20GB for the purchaser of the software product, and not 20GB per user (meaning my wife would still only have 7GB), and my wife (being the competitive person she is) would want her own 20GB of skydrive costing me an additional $10/year. Last I checked this is a COST, not a SAVINGS unless everyone on the machines using the software also get the free 20GB.
And lastly I would get an hour of free Skype calls. Something I would also never use.

So lets do that math again:
The only bits of this I will actuially use are 2 liscences, word, excel, and PPT, and 20GB of storage for each of us:
Just purchasing Office home and student + Skydrive would cost me $33.33 per year per computer if I continued my 6 year upgrade plan... that is a ton more money than the $8 per year per computer I have paid in the past
Purchasing Office 365 + Skydrive would cost me $55 per year per computer... that is absolutely insane!

Thanks MS, But I think I will stick with my good old copy of Office 2007 until you come to your senses and offer an Office365 for 3 machines that cost somewhere in the negiborhood of $20 per year per machine. That is still much more expensive than the $8 I am paying currently, but I would pay a little extra considering I would get the up to date software when it comes out, and I would be getting Access and Publisher which I currently do not have.

On another note; the student deal for office365 for $80 for 2 machines for 4 years is a killer deal! Students should jump on that in a heartbeat! That is only $10 per year per machine

Status
Not open for further replies.