Microsoft Launches Throwaway Hotmail Addresses

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzman24

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2009
[citation][nom]kronos_cornelius[/nom]I never get spam on Gmail. I am promiscuous with my email. I remember using spam email way back. But I don't find the use for it now.[/citation]
99% of spam going to my Gmail account is caught by the spam filter. When I do need a spam account I send it to some random Hotmail account. Hotmail sucks.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
this is cool ill defiantly use this... and my gmail account. with google's phone service, and this feature combined I I'll never need to give out my personal contact info >.< as for yahoo, well not having IMAP, and charging for pop3 made them vary inconvenient for my use.

G

For the past 7 years my Hotmail account has been my "Spamy" account, this not an added feature for me. Maybe this is a plea for the many people like me to come back as legitimate user. They probably hate so many people with clogged accounts using resources without looking at any Ads. I don't care, I have no love for Microsoft.

slothy89

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Two things wrong with this "new" functionality..

Firstly, unlike the title of this storey, you still need to create the alias, which is a dud email, so that's not avoided..
Secondly, Hotmail has had
The ability to link multiple Hotmail accounts for a good 4-5 years.. And these are totally independent accounts/inboxes. Once you sign onto one account you can freely swap from the user menu in 1 click.. If anything this is a terrible simplification of something they already had in place.

Why give your email account an alias, when you can have a 2nd complete account with bogus names and details that's just as easily linked. Makes filtering a LOT easier too.. Also there is no way for an outsider to see any connection between the two accounts.
With this alias idea, any half skilled kid who can read email headers will be able to tell the alias goes to the same place as the real address..

The pointif this new so called feature is totally lost on me

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]mayankleoboy1[/nom]there is something like this already on yahoo a few years back.[/citation]
Don't you realize M$ likes to play catch-up?

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]pazero01[/nom]10minutemail.com already exists and it works quite well[/citation]
mailinator.com that's my recomandation. The whatever@mailinator.com is created upon the mail that reaches it. Mail in that address is kept for a few hours. No need for any password to log in, and you can just make up an anything@mailinator.com when required and afterward go to mailinator to check it.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
And a week later, hackers were able to find the relationship between the primary account and the alias's...... oh well, so much for avoiding them

Status
Not open for further replies.