Microsoft Launches Web Version of Xbox Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
Sad but true: your browser is not equipped to work with our site.
You need to either download the latest version of Internet Explorer below, or check that your browser has compatibility view disabled.
Microsoft style, use ours browser.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Larry Bob, call it Microsoft Music? Really? Because Xbox branding will turn off non-gamers? Dumbest thing I ever heard. Microsoft is synonymous with business software for branding and at least Xbox is consumer entertainment. The Xbox console may be able to play games but it has always been a method for playback of entertainment media and even spawned the open-source XBMC for the original Xbox. Adding Xbox Music is just the start, this new box is not just a games console it is a full home entertainment centre. I have been doing something similar with a HTPC for ages and consoels have always lagged behind but this new-gen stuff is really starting the catch up. Branding is excellent and something that hasn't quite tarnished in the eyes of customers just yet, just bitter fanboys.

Priox

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
The problem for me is that I get the feeling Microsoft wants you to be totally immersed in their ecosystem before they let you use even one of their products. Haven't checked the comments that claim Xbox Music will only work with IE, but if true, that's exactly what I'm talking about. They were taken to court over this very thing: manipulating Windows to favor IE. This mentality has been tolerable thus far and seemingly absent on the Xbox and the X360, but I think they're taking it too far with the Xbox One and associated products.

This does not compete with Amazon whose mp3 cloud service allows you to download the music you have stored in the cloud and burn it to CD. Amazon does not bind your music to the player and there isn't a monthly charge. I can download and burn my shiznit any time from authorized devices (I think up to 10?).

This Xbox music service seems more like internet radio you pay for.

I do agree with Larry Bob in that if they named it something other than Xbox Radio it would attract a larger audience. The naming of the service was probably yet another of Mattrick's failures on his way out.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Well the service isn't much different than what Apple is offering for streaming, the incompatibility is likely the flash plugin required and no information is offered by the user but people are very quick to condemn MS with no evidence, as far as the name goes Xbox Music will attract a larger audience than Microsoft Music or 'something' seeing as it's so easy to whip up a global music brand maybe you should wave your magic wand and pull one out of thin air for us, then watch as the factious fanboys tear each other apart disagreeing with it. So easy to say something could be better without providing an alternative.

Yeah because women are all up on the Xbox. I always try to throw the word 'Xbox' into all of my pickup lines. For some reason, the mere mention of 'Xbox' is a turn off to about 60% of the U.S. population (which consists of 60% women) and my pick up lines don't seem to work all that well. Not everyone is a boy. You have to think outside the XBOX.

Larry Bob did offer an alternative name. I agreed with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.