Microsoft Launches Windows Phone 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]At least this is not another Apple thread...[/citation]
Not an apple thread, but you still mention Apple. :non:

Anyways, I can't wait to see what is to come for Windows8 Phones, I may consider buying one with app support for things I commonly use.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Would be nice if they had launched an x86 phone and tablet at this juncture.[/citation]

Agree 100% with pricing and performance comparable with Android and iOS devices, now that would have been really nice.

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
This will be the first smartphone I will own. Been waiting for this. Thank you Microsoft. Still staying with Win 7 on my Desktop, and Laptop. I will buy the phone that takes the nicest camera stills,

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I can't wait to see how this phone does. Android and the iPhone need some competition badly.

The thing MS needs to do is make sure app support is there. You can have an incredible phone and a very good OS, but without good apps, it won't succeed. MS also needs to give the user complete control over how apps behave. I have been using an Android phone for over a year and while it's very useful, the memory management of Android is awful. There is no excuse for a phone using as much RAM as a desktop. There is also no reason for apps I have never opened to open on their own. Yes, I know Android closes some apps to free memory, but usually these are apps I don't want closed so it makes matters worse. So if WP8 has the app support and gives me control over the apps, they may very well have a customer in me.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Does anyone know if Microsoft will be pushing updates and their minimum update life expectancy for win8 phones?

Last thing I want is a new update / service pack just to find out its not coming because a manufacturer is not going to push it or their going to take 6 months to support it. Plus I don't want a device that updates for 9-12 months and updates are dead on the phone after that.

G

I have a Samsung Galaxy S with Android 2.3 Yes, the phone is much more useful than a non-smart phone. I have been able to download books and read them on the phone. That has expanded my world. But Android is a buggy operating system with a bad keyboard. Much room for competition.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Does anyone know if Microsoft will be pushing updates and their minimum update life expectancy for win8 phones?Last thing I want is a new update / service pack just to find out its not coming because a manufacturer is not going to push it or their going to take 6 months to support it. Plus I don't want a device that updates for 9-12 months and updates are dead on the phone after that.[/citation]

Microsoft has been doing 5 year update life cycles(sometimes longer) for their OS since the beginning of time. I would expect the same for Win8

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]Microsoft has been doing 5 year update life cycles(sometimes longer) for their OS since the beginning of time. I would expect the same for Win8[/citation]

So Windows Mobile 6 are still receiving updates?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
They're forcing us to use Metro so we'd be more likely to buy a Windows phone or tablet. Sorry Microsoft, I'm not giving you a dime until you stop trying to out-Apple Apple.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]According to MS, support has been dropped for Windows Mobile.[/citation]

Thanks, seems like they supported it for 4 - 4.5 years which is excellent, next closest I see is Apple at 3 years then Android is fragmented from 6 months to 2 years.

Go Microsoft!

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Thanks, seems like they supported it for 4 - 4.5 years which is excellent, next closest I see is Apple at 3 years then Android is fragmented from 6 months to 2 years.Go Microsoft![/citation]

When is 7.8 getting 8?

G

Yes, I really feel left out at not constantly receiving updates from Android... Of course, it's an absolute necessity to get updates on any Windows device for the sake of preventing pwnage at the hand of any 8 y/o script kiddie, and the only way in hell I could get a "virus" on my Android phone is to install a fart soundboard that for some reason requires access to contacts, and the ability to make calls and send emails, but hey, I think I'll go with WP8 this round so that I can get updates and feel cool... Then OTOH I can also root my Android device and install any image I want on it, as well as remove carrier-crapware, but I'd still rather get that feeling from the update notifier that somebody is out there is looking out for me...

G

Prediction for tomorrow: "ERRMAGHEEEED!! Windows 8 phone is are solds outs!!!"

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]Would be nice if they had launched an x86 phone and tablet at this juncture.[/citation]
x86 tablet out very soon with the Surface Pro and a swathe of other vendors using Intel chips, also to get one in a phone is possible but they are generally poo

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]robmif76[/nom]Steve Ballmer's such a pleb. Why did they let him on that stage??[/citation]
Do you even know the definition of the word pleb? It's not a popularity contest, he is a business man and has had to guide MS through it's period of highest competition and semms like he has done well. Just cos he looks like a shaved baboon does not mean he isn't sharp as a tack.

Status
Not open for further replies.