Microsoft Makes Xamarin Free In Latest Attempt At Mobile Dominance

Status
Not open for further replies.

megiv

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
I used Xamarin with C# and it's so much fun. C# is such a wonderful language, and being able to code in C# for mobile apps is just awesome.

cknobman

Distinguished
BANNED
May 2, 2006
Finally, been wanting to use Xamarin for years but did not have the money to do it.

Time to try making my Windows Phone app available for Android and iOS!!

canadianvice

Distinguished
Does anyone know how easy it is to adapt a good understanding of VB.net to C#? I've wanted to make use of Xamarin, but if I have to totally relearn things, it's not much of a point vs. learning Android code.

RedJaron

Splendid

My experience between languages, whether it's VB, C++, or SQL, is that you don't so much as relearn how to program as simply learn the how to bring your existing programming knowledge to bear in a new syntax. Whether you say "Dim X as Integer" or "int x;" the concept of an integer variable is the same. If you understand programming, you already understand the steps you need to do to accomplish a task. Learning a new language just means you know another way of telling a computer to perform the exact same actions.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
Whether you say "Dim X as Integer" or "int x;" the concept of an integer variable is the same. If you understand programming, you already understand the steps you need to do to accomplish a task.
I dunno man there are near-exceptions. I remember in HS they started us off on Pascal using Borland libraries (and a badly outdated IDE) and then switched us to C++ and standard template... it wasn't quite like starting over but it wasn't just learning new ways to initialize variables either. :D

But I get what you're saying if you can program in one language you can generally pick up another one easily enough, it's mostly learning the syntax and common libraries. I eventually discovered that I really don't care for programming though, took some in college and I got good grades but it just wasn't for me. Especially testing and debugging which seemed to me like most of the workload.

VB.NET to C# is not so drastic a switch. It mostly is just syntax as both languages target the same CLR (Common Language Runtime). Programming in C# may feel a bit odd at first, but once you work through the transition, it'll feel just like home, and maybe even make a bit more sense than VB.NET.

Xamarin Starter Edition was available for free as a separate add-on to VS 2012 & 13, and installed alongside of 2015. This may be what you are thinking of. The Starter Edition was a tad hamstrung for serious development work. Thanks to Microsoft's acquisition of the company going through, non-Starter Edition Xamarin is now included with all of the VS 2015 releases.

Xamarin FAQ

Bollinger02

Commendable
Apr 1, 2016
Does anyone know how easy it is to adapt a good understanding of VB.net to C#? I've wanted to make use of Xamarin, but if I have to totally relearn things, it's not much of a point vs. learning Android code.
Try JetBrains DotPeek's.... and go for Decompiled Sources. It will give you a fair C# translation of you VB app

Windows Phone 8.1 was really a nice OS and I prefer it over Android. but I'm stuck with Android because MS doesn't have a compelling phone with WP10 on it. I haven't had a chance to try WP10 because of this. I'm planning to upgrade my phone soon, but I don't care for a low end, low resolution phone and MS (as far as I can tell) have no high end phones.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
I never thought VB.Net was like C#.
C# is like a fixed up Java w/o waiting for committees to evolve it...it's quite good as a language and environment.
Xamarin does add a bit of code bloat though...e.g., if you add LINQ to your app, you suck in a 6MB DLL. What should have been a 10MB app becomes a 30MB app fairly quickly :-(
But you can share 40-50% of your code even if you don't do xamarin.forms...

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
Didn't realize so many of you were devs. :) If anyone is a mobile dev and is planning to work with Xamarin to build cross-platform apps, I'd be curious to chat. Shoot me a DM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS