Microsoft May Cut Prices on Software for Windows Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013
RT is fine (for what is essentially a toy), Windows tablets are fine, their products are fine... Their pricing is out of this world for an unknown product with a weak app store. You can get Android tablets the same size for less than half the cost and an iPad mini for roughly the same. Not a fan of Apple, but it does have a*far* more established ecosystem.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Microsoft always assume that Windows 8 OS is great for tablets because you can run Office on it. However, they seem to not realizing the fact that (1) they do not have MS Office running on Metro UI yet, and running MS Office in desktop mode without keyboard and mouse will drive users crazy. That means to be useful, the tablets must come bundled with some kind of keyboard and touchpad and that will drive up the cost. (2) Tablets are being seen as a cheap, easy to use, media consumption device, those who wants productivity mostly prefer a normal desktop or notebook. Only a small segment who prefer the tablets will care about productivity such as MS Office. What MS should do, is to offer RT free for vendor, so that vendor can produce cheap tablet at the same price of Android tablets. Bundle RT with good music and video players, maybe some games exclusive to Metro UI. If users want to run MS Office on RT, let them buy it. Bring the RT tablet prices down to the same level as Nexus 7 or they will never sell.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Microsoft always assume that Windows 8 OS is great for tablets because you can run Office on it. However, they seem to not realizing the fact that (1) they do not have MS Office running on Metro UI yet, and running MS Office in desktop mode without keyboard and mouse will drive users crazy. That means to be useful, the tablets must come bundled with some kind of keyboard and touchpad and that will drive up the cost. (2) Tablets are being seen as a cheap, easy to use, media consumption device, those who wants productivity mostly prefer a normal desktop or notebook. Only a small segment who prefer the tablets will care about productivity such as MS Office. What MS should do, is to offer RT free for vendor, so that vendor can produce cheap tablet at the same price of Android tablets. Bundle RT with good music and video players, maybe some games exclusive to Metro UI. If users want to run MS Office on RT, let them buy it. Bring the RT tablet prices down to the same level as Nexus 7 or they will never sell.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
@w8Gaming
I disagree with you,my fiance wants a tablet becasue she is tired of carrying around her heavy laptop.She wants a small tablet like a 7 or 8 inch tablet that runs Microsoft Office so she can work on the go.Hence right now im waiting on those cheap windows 8.1 tablets that I can a attach a keyboard onto and no she hates Android and its inconsistencies(loves the price though) with Office and the overall disjointed expereince.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
@w8Gaming
I disagree with you,my fiance wants a tablet becasue she is tired of carrying around her heavy laptop.She wants a small tablet like a 7 or 8 inch tablet that runs Microsoft Office so she can work on the go.Hence right now im waiting on those cheap windows 8.1 tablets that I can a attach a keyboard onto and no she hates Android and its inconsistencies(loves the price though) with Office and the overall disjointed expereince.

Osmin

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Microsoft would make more money as a software company making MS Office available for Android and iOS rather than to try and compete as a hardware company selling RT tablets with Office.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
@w8Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.